Tried NuFinish Today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*Agreed on better ease of application (Maguire's Ultimate Liquid) - which lasts longer ?

I'm not sure there is some definitive evidence to support any of the wax product claims (I have done several weeks research back in January)...but there are claims that Meguiar's and Nu Finish can generally last about 4-6 months, depending on weather, pollution, car washes, etc.

Nu Finish claims they are "The Once a Year Car Polish" right on their bottle...but I have yet to find any proof whatsoever or data to support it. It would be nearly impossible to prove it either way, as there are so many variables that go into these products losing their "protection.

My contention is that a clay-bar, polish, and wax (or sealing polymer product like Meguiare's Ultimate Liquid) should be done about every 3-4 months to sustain a quality shine/look as well as maintain good protection on a vehicle's exterior surfaces. After decades of using numerous products, I have seen nothing to disprove my 3-4 month mantra.

You might be right but I'm one of those folks who just doesn't have the energy to do that. MAYBE once a year or so is enough for me and my DD.

No harm no foul...but the 2 hours or so to do it "right" twice a year is a nominal time & effort commitment to at least some of us...enjoying the reward the rest of the year...
cool.gif

In my experience Nu Finish lasted about a year on my vehicles. To me that is a major plus, even if it is harder to wok with. I use a Optimum sealant now, but I may come back to NF.

People's perspective is sure funny. There is an ongoing thread about ceramic coatings and how great they are. The prep work and all look to be very intensive and they last about two years, high fives all around. Yet people complain that NF is hard to work with.
Well for a year protection and less than $10 a bottle, NF provides a tremendous IMO.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
In my experience Nu Finish lasted about a year on my vehicles. To me that is a major plus, even if it is harder to wok with. I use a Optimum sealant now, but I may come back to NF.

People's perspective is sure funny. There is an ongoing thread about ceramic coatings and how great they are. The prep work and all look to be very intensive and they last about two years, high fives all around. Yet people complain that NF is hard to work with.
Well for a year protection and less than $10 a bottle, NF provides a tremendous IMO.

No worries. There is no actual proof that Nu Finish actually sustains quality protection to a vehicles surface for a year. Every expert detailer I've ever spoken with, and numerous ones reporting online all agree that after 5-6 months...any "protection" is "highly suspect" and it would be best to redo the process, beginning with clay-bar.

With the numerous vehicles on the road with some form of dark trim on the exterior...having a product like NuFinish leaving residue that needs to be cleaned up and redone separately with a proper product is counter productive to the detailing process - extra work without extra reward (since it could be done in a single step using a better product). There are literally hundreds of online testimonial posts stating that NuFinish indeed leaves an undesirable residue on such dark/black trim. Claiming it doesn't fails the smell test.

As for ceramic coating protection...at a much-higher cost pricepoint...and not enough 2-year applied experience data to validate the claims...the jury is still out.

Last edited:
I don't exactly care what detailers say, I know my experience. As far as I know there is not detailing school that teaches about polymers, chemistry, compatibility with paint, UV protection, etc. Their opinion is based on their own experience and marketing material as much as anybody else's.
How would a pro detailer know how long a sealant, or wax lasts? Is there some sort of objective test method besides the normal water beading test?

It's like asking a mechanic about oil.

I used NF for a very long time, first on the SAAB 900T, then on the sled. Didn't like it stained black trim & rubber. Can be tough to remove if applied too thick. Not much gloss for white paint (with nearly zero depth).

Several years ago, I compounded the old clear coat, then used DG 901? or clear coat polish?, I think. Very easy to apply. Doesn't stain. Easy to remove. Lasts a very long time here. Beads up like crazy too. I use DG AquaWax after a thorough wash which really works well.

Problem with a white car is lack of depth. DG did a far better job of gloss & water repellentcy for me.

A '17 is such a new car vs. the '98 sled though.

Long long time ago my father switched to Nu-Finish after the consumer reports article. I never cared for it myself- didn't last super long and the dusting was a bit much. I started using meguiars 20 as an alternative, which I still use.

Actually, if someone wants a super cheap long lasting product there is turtle wax super hard shell. All of the dust and difficulty of Nu-finish but seems to last longer and look better (I have never done side by side comparisons).

Nu Finish is $7 a bottle and lasts. Great. It is a pain to apply and remove.

I can apply Ultimate Liquid, Griot's Poly Wax, etc with a DA and remove it in about 15 minutes time. They cost twice as much but jeez - both bottles are over half full two years later.

Get the big picture.

I don't exactly care what detailers say, I know my experience. As far as I know there is not detailing school that teaches about polymers, chemistry, compatibility with paint, UV protection, etc. Their opinion is based on their own experience and marketing material as much as anybody else's.
How would a pro detailer know how long a sealant, or wax lasts? Is there some sort of objective test method besides the normal water beading test?

It's like asking a mechanic about oil.

We can't speak for how things are in Canada...but in the U.S...there are plenty of experienced detailing companies, many of which present in-depth information online regarding the chemistry behind sealants, waxes, and their composition/differences. Yes, there is science behind all these kinds of products. Polymers in particular have been developed to align with today's clear coat finishes. Just a little time and research online goes a long way to provide quality exterior protection to vehicles.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Nu Finish is $7 a bottle and lasts. Great. It is a pain to apply and remove.

I can apply Ultimate Liquid, Griot's Poly Wax, etc with a DA and remove it in about 15 minutes time. They cost twice as much but jeez - both bottles are over half full two years later.

Get the big picture.

Big picture...NuFinish for $7, Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid $15...NuFinish lasts the same amount of time for protection, requires more effort to apply, and fails to work well on dark trim (leaves a residue). Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid lasts just as long, protects very well, applies very easily, leaves no residue.

So for $8 more per bottle (about 10 treatments) - about 80 cents price difference per application - the choice of Meguiar's over NuFinish is a no-brainer better choice.

Yup - you are correct.

I used nu finish for a while, but as others have said, it is hard to remove from black trim. I have since gone to meguiars rubbing compound for oxidation and scratches. If no need for rubbing compound (i.e., when I keep up with monthly maintenance), i just use a clay bar and a good wax. I have been using Harly Wax for several decades, even though it only lasts a few months - the shine is awesome! The cheapy walmart or harbor freight random orbital buffer makes waxing pretty easy.

I agree I use this stuff . Dont particularly like the dusting but the protection and water beading will literally last 1.5 years on my cars though I do them twice a year . It shines as well as any other wax. this is really a polish anyway so it will clean the surface somewhat when you use it .

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
I much prefer Duragloss over Zaino.

I prefer Collinite 845 over both, but to be honest, I haven't tried Zaino in like 10 years. I'm sure the formula has changed by now...

No worries. There is no actual proof that Nu Finish actually sustains quality protection to a vehicles surface for a year. Every expert detailer I've ever spoken with, and numerous ones reporting online all agree that after 5-6 months...any "protection" is "highly suspect" and it would be best to redo the process, beginning with clay-bar.

With the numerous vehicles on the road with some form of dark trim on the exterior...having a product like NuFinish leaving residue that needs to be cleaned up and redone separately with a proper product is counter productive to the detailing process - extra work without extra reward (since it could be done in a single step using a better product). There are literally hundreds of online testimonial posts stating that NuFinish indeed leaves an undesirable residue on such dark/black trim. Claiming it doesn't fails the smell test.

As for ceramic coating protection...at a much-higher cost pricepoint...and not enough 2-year applied experience data to validate the claims...the jury is still out.

I don't believe NF lasts a year either...

Their calling it a "polish" is kind of mis-leading. So it's basically a polish and a sealant combined. I'd rather use Griot's one-step sealant.

I also don't like this claim on their website: "If you were to wash your car every week for a whole year, water would still bead on your car's finish after the 52nd car wash. The beading on your car's paint is a sure sign that your paint is being protected."

That's [censored] because I just had a fiberglass tonneau cover painted, no wax on it at all and the water beads, so that's not a good measure of how long it actually lasts. Go pour water on a freshly cleared body panel, beading all day long.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Several years ago, I compounded the old clear coat, then used DG 901? or clear coat polish?, I think. Very easy to apply. Doesn't stain. Easy to remove. Lasts a very long time here. Beads up like crazy too. I use DG AquaWax after a thorough wash which really works well.

Problem with a white car is lack of depth. DG did a far better job of gloss & water repellentcy for me.

DG 901 is their car wash soap. I know their numbering system is a little difficult to get the hang of and certain ones I can't remember. Maybe it was their #101 which is a polish and a sealant. Only contains a very small amount of polish. #105 is a sealant with some chemical cleaners in it. #111 is pure sealant. I enjoy using AW for its ease of use and giving it a boost of protection. Nice to see you liking their products.

NuFinish is an easy on easy off protectant IF YOU FOLLOW DIRECTIONS and put on a thin coating. If you gob it on and let it dry you have made yourself a real job to remove it. It lasts a year plus for me so I do validate their claim of once-a-year. Ed

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Nufinish is incredibly overrated. They must make a fortune on selling people on the paint bead trick.

Once you use a good paint sealant you'll never go back to a wax.

Ummm...NuFinish is not a wax. It is a polymer sealent.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
*Agreed on better ease of application (Maguire's Ultimate Liquid) - which lasts longer ?

I'm not sure there is some definitive evidence to support any of the wax product claims (I have done several weeks research back in January)...but there are claims that Meguiar's and Nu Finish can generally last about 4-6 months, depending on weather, pollution, car washes, etc.

Nu Finish claims they are "The Once a Year Car Polish" right on their bottle...but I have yet to find any proof whatsoever or data to support it. It would be nearly impossible to prove it either way, as there are so many variables that go into these products losing their "protection.

My contention is that a clay-bar, polish, and wax (or sealing polymer product like Meguiare's Ultimate Liquid) should be done about every 3-4 months to sustain a quality shine/look as well as maintain good protection on a vehicle's exterior surfaces. After decades of using numerous products, I have seen nothing to disprove my 3-4 month mantra.

I posted pictures of NuFinish longevity test over 10 years ago on this forum. NuFinish definitely lasts a year when properly applied. It is one of the most durable "waxes" on the market.

Here is a few pictures of some cars I have done in NuFinish. The blue truck is 22 years old and has had a coat of NuFinish at least once a year since new. The paint is in perfect condition. The gray car is 7 years old and is a daily driver.
9EW6si0.jpg

azFFe40.jpg

XvQ9gIs.jpg

3EImPA9.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a couple pictures showing how good the beading is after a full year on the blue paint and 6 months on the gray paint. Both are from rain. The truck is garaged most of the time but the Honda is out side a lot. The Honda's paint was beading nearly this good at the 1 year mark. Pretty impressive.
Ob3VDE3.jpg

LjWuiIB.png

Last edited:
Here is a Ford Taurus I just did with NuFinish last week for a customer. This car has been neglected and has sat out side 24/7 for a few years. Lots of tree sap and [censored] embedded in the paint. Took some time to clean it up and bring out the shine again. It is not perfect but it came out pretty good.

jvdWVUY.jpg

VViRX0L.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back