New Police Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The department I work for went to hemi powered Chargers and we have had excellent results. We did lose one hemi engine because of a roller lifter failure but overall they have been more reliable, cost less to buy, and cost less to maintain than the ecoboost Interceptors. As an earlier poster previously stated, the vehicles themselves are attractively priced. It is all the equipment in them that runs the cost up.

Nice article there, Supercity, thanks. The brief history of Highway Patrol cars was interesting. Much rather read about them than see one in the rear view mirror!

Unless you're in an older city with narrow one way streets and a lot of congestion, I'd think the Tahoe would make the most sense.

Back in CA, it appears the CHP is phasing out the PI Utility in favor of Chargers. They seem to have some Tahoes in service, although sedans seem to be favored more than SUVs.

Here in Kuwait, where patrol vehicles are almost always American cars, the Crown Victorias have been replaced with Chargers. They have a handful of PI Sedans, but no Utility models in service. The GMC Yukon in SLE flavor, not police spec, is the choice for highway patrol - go figure. Some Tahoes in service, but they're all standard LS models, not the PPV. Seems the Crown Vic's departure left a pair of big shoes to fill.

Here is washington all i see is explorers and subarans for city police. F150s for sheriffs with boats and very very few crown vics. Oh ya and fancy bmw and honda motorcycles.

Saw lots of Chargers over there in 2014, with the (whatever it is called) pusher bar.

Would love one of them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Claud
For fast patrol work the UK forces favor Subaru's and BMW X5's at the moment.
A combination of practicality, whole life costs - closely coupled with reliability, and operator friendliness are behind the purchasing decisions.

Things have moved on since the Fords (UK built Zephyrs), Jaguars and Rovers (Ex Buick V8 powered) I remember from my youth....

Performance, enough space for the equipment, and reliability have always been the main requirements. I would suggest that has always been the case throughout the world for suitable Police cars, with pressure to buy from home manufacturers as well.

Claud.

It's sad that the UK has no 'domestic' cars capable of police work...well at least they have the 'Royal Family'.....

I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. Before all the UK cars disappeared, they didn't have a very good reputation.

Sadly, you are quite right. Nissan, Toyota, and Honda are the largest volume car producers in the UK now. Amazingly they match the Japanese factories for build quality.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Ford Explorer seems to be the go-to police cruiser by me.

Yup most of the local county/city depts near me running Taurus,Chargers/Exploders PI's !!

Vics,Impalas,Caprices are RARE in my area

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back