Ever had a guy insist you try his bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were in a rest area on I-71 a couple of weeks ago and I told the rider of a late BMW twin that he had a nice machine.
He was a guy around my age, so sixtyish,
We talked a bit and he went on to say that he didn't like it, since he found it too wide and too big and suggested that I try it. I ventured that I liked the fact that I could put both feet on the ground on something as low as his BMW, just like a Harley and unlike the average Japanese crotch rocket.
I really didn't want to, since the guy was on his way to Philly from some miles south of Columbus and my riding skills aren't really current and I didn't want to drop his bike, but the guy just insisted that I try it, so I did.
I noticed that the guy had apparently not liked the bike for about 42K, and I rode it down through the rest area and then back. I told him that I liked it and that I loved BMW twins.
Anyway, we parted company with a handshake as my wife came out of the bathrooms.
A nice but weird experience.

I've had more bikes than I've had cars because I'm still trying to find the perfect bike. I'll own the same car for 10 years, but go through 10 bikes in that same span of time.

Sitting on one at a dealership or renting one just isn't enough to know. Unlike a car, the margin for comfort on a bike is razor thin. It could be something as simple as a leg cramp that develops only after you've ridden for an hour.

I could see myself buying one, putting 40k on it because there are no better options, and still not liking it.

One night on the turps, my brother demanded that I take his RG250 for a spin.

To that point I'd only ever had maybe 4 hours of seat time on a YZ80.

Ahhh to be young, stupid, and invulnerable again.

It's happened, although not with strangers. I think the most remarkable thing about my experiences is I was not a rider when the offers were made ... as in zero hours of seat time in anything bigger than a Honda 50, and in both cases the bike offered was a Big Twin (one FL, one FX) and in both cases the ride was highway miles on a twisty Canadian Shield road with some persistent pavement issues (just due to the local conditions; there was one corner in particular where no amount of repair over decades could keep potholes at bay).

I was in a RV park in Naples FL and one of the residents asked me if I'd like to go for a ride with him. I said I didn't have a bike with me (duh). He said-I've got 2 Harleys over here, my wife left me and the other bike was hers-let's go. Strange!

Sounds like a very friendly dude who still has faith in humanity. Weird, but not weird at the same time.

Somewhat similar, back when dad has his ~2006 diesel Jetta, a guy followed him about 5 miles to ask about the car since that body style had just come out. (Dad bought the car sight unseen and had no say in any features, color etc.)

Dad offered him a test drive and gave dad the keys to his fairly new truck. He had it about 10-15 mins.

I test ride bikes as part of safety inspections...sometimes customers don't want me to. Not often do I get strangers offering me a ride, but it's common with friends...out on a ride we often swap bikes, and give opinions on the next stop.

Funny you should ask. A fellow invited me to ride his motorcycle at a diner in the Hudson Valley.
After I declined by explaining how I'd only ridden a 125cc dirt bike a couple of times (40 minutes seat time) decades before and that I didn't want to trash his bike....
.....he made this prolonged face. THAT was the weird part.

Yes, numerous times over the years. Usually friends with a new bike, several times by riding school students that wanted an assessment of their bike, and a few random strangers that stopped at the same place I had stopped at to take a break. I've never taken one of those random strangers up on their offer.

A friend I was riding with once insisted we swap bikes for a while. "Sure" I said. I handed him my 19 year old Yamaha YZF600R and he handed me his bike. "If you crash it, you buy it" I said to him as I rode off on his one year old Ducati 899 Panigale.

Kind of weird from a total stranger but I guess it happens. The worse scenario is if you come out from a restaurant or whereever to find a guy on your bike as it's parked trying out the fit. A friend once had that exact thing. Came out and some millenial (no offense) had thrown a leg over on his motorcycle, then got offended when my friend read him the riot act. Kid was lucky that's all that happened. Kid's gf was snapping a pic and likely they were going to post it up on fb, instagram, or wherever.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Kind of weird from a total stranger but I guess it happens. The worse scenario is if you come out from a restaurant or whereever to find a guy on your bike as it's parked trying out the fit. A friend once had that exact thing. Came out and some millenial (no offense) had thrown a leg over on his motorcycle, then got offended when my friend read him the riot act. Kid was lucky that's all that happened. Kid's gf was snapping a pic and likely they were going to post it up on fb, instagram, or wherever.

I hope I never have to react to that. I don't believe it would go well for anyone involved.

Most people that see my bike don't know what to make of it, given most people (or very new riders) only understand three camps--"Harley", sportbike, or dirtbike. If I can tell they aren't one to bare fangs, but are interested, I insist they take a ride! If they know how to ride, I also invite them to try it out.

I just want more adv riders in the states, especially my age.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Most people that see my bike don't know what to make of it, given most people (or very new riders) only understand three camps--"Harley", sportbike, or dirtbike. If I can tell they aren't one to bare fangs, but are interested, I insist they take a ride! If they know how to ride, I also invite them to try it out.

I just want more adv riders in the states, especially my age.

I'd know what kind of your bike you have for sure. I considered the Tiger Explorer 1200 at one time. Your 800 is widely regarded as the choice between the two however, if one genuinely intends to ride any trails or off road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back