RIP actor Clint Walker, aka Cheyenne Bodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found out that Clint Walker died two days ago at age 90. Most members here are younger and won't recognize the name, but his character and the 1955 TV series Cheyenne started a television craze for viewers who loved westerns. The show ran for nine years and was very popular. This man had a near perfect physique at 6'6" with big broad shoulders and a very narrow waist. He was an imposing figure. I'd almost kill to have a build like that.

Cheyenne reruns are still shown on the Encore Westerns channel weekdays in the late afternoon.

This guy was one tough dude. He had a ski pole rammed through his heart in a skiing accident and survived.

He also was one one of the “Dirty Dozen” playing Sam Posey.

RIP.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Just found out that Clint Walker died two days ago at age 90. Most members here are younger and won't recognize the name, but his character and the 1955 TV series Cheyenne started a television craze for viewers who loved westerns. The show ran for nine years and was very popular. This man had a near perfect physique at 6'6" with big broad shoulders and a very narrow waist. He was an imposing figure. I'd almost kill to have a build like that.

Cheyenne reruns are still shown on the Encore Westerns channel weekdays in the late afternoon.
One of my favorite cowboy actors,,great guy...RIP

Just got done watching Cheyenne.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
One good looking and built dude. Had the voice too.

Clint Walker and Dan Blocker were similar in many ways.

He played the lead in the play Requiem for a heavyweight at the Old Globe in San Diego while I was in college. He was really big and strong. The problem with casting him in the lead was that I could not imagine anyone beating him.

Originally Posted By: StevieBoy
One of my favorite westerns. Everything else went on hold when it was time to come on.

I remember the show faintly from my childhood, with a better memory of the Hartland plastic figurine based on his character. Hartland produced figures, both standing ("The Gunfighter Series") and mounted on a horse figure, from the TV Westerns of the time, like Have Gun - Will Travel, Maverick, Roy Rogers and Dale Evans, Cheyenne, and many more.

Now, seeing some of the shows on Heroes & Icons TV, I'm impressed. Cheyenne started way back in 1955, and Warners' then-new TV production company put quite a bit of effort into them, adapting stories from print Westerns and producing it from the start as an hour-long show when so many other TV oaters were only 30 minutes long.

I read somewhere, though, that Warners paid their lead actors peanuts -- $300 a week, or per episode, in the 1950s, and the leads like Walker (and later, James Garner) were in practically every scene . . . 6 12-hr. days of being on set. And then WB expected Walker and the other leads to do promotional appearances on their own time, for little or no extra money. Seems to me I read that Walker was one of the first to rebel against that; anybody know?

Never having seen him in much else, I can't imagine him ever playingHamlet or Macbeth. But he was a strong presence on screen, and perfectly suited to roles in Westerns and war stories.

He was great in the Dirty Dozen...I was always sad that his character didn't make it in that movie...RIP.

He had a small part in the 10 commandments, Captain of the guard. You can see it on you tube. All of my childhood heroes are pretty much gone, not happy about that.

This morning I watched part of the very first episode of Cheyenne from 1955. Walker was about 27 then, but already had a solid presence on screen. He shared this story with his traveling buddy, Smitty, played by L.Q. Jones -- a character they phased out later. The other remarkable thing was James Garner, playing a cavalry lieutenant, 2 years before his star turn in Maverick.

At one point in the story, Cheyenne tells a girl who dislikes the Shoshone and thinks they are animals: "My mother and father were killed by Cheyennes. But then they raised me as one of their own."

Oh, and this script was co-written by Alan Le May, who would later publish famous Western novels such as The Searchers and The Unforgiven (not the same as the Clint Eastwood film).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back