Part of the fun of the '52 Chevy... oil filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the fun of this 1952 Chevy, is literally being dragged (sometimes kicking and screaming) back 65 years into the past.

And one of those things has been oil filters. It has one of the "dealer installed" oil filtration systems on it. One has to plan ahead to get a filter, as most places simply do not stock them on the shelf, even at the farm supply stores (as these filters were also used on many of the farm tractors of the same era).

I can get these in a few different brands, mainly Purolator (L20051), Fram (C4P), Luber Finer aka Champion Labs (L70), Wix (51100), or Hastings (LF334). There are likely more suppliers, but these are the five that I seem to see the most of.

Pricing is all over the place, from $8.81 (plus shipping) for the Hastings at RockAuto, to around $20.

I've used the Fram C4P, and a Purolator L20051. I was getting the Fram C4P from Advance at a really reasonable price, but they don't offer it anymore, now they offer the Puro L20051 for $15.99 each, plus tax (minus whatever discount). I guess that is considered "progress".

I'm probably going to try the LuberFiner (Champion Labs) L70 next, as I can get one for $12.65, shipped free, through eBay.

Here's a picture of these filters. They're a canister type, and the canister (black canister, in the bottom center of image) is mounted onto the driver's side of the engine.

Oh yes... oil. Right now, I have QS High Mileage (aka Defy) 10w-30 in it. Changed it over this past weekend, but haven't been able to drive it yet. Usually change it every 1,000 miles.

I see some Offy parts! Brings back memories!

We used Kralinator filters in our canisters, my grandfather had a collection of them he purchased.

Neat pic of the dual-single barrel Offy manifold! Did you install or did you get it like that?

Had a buddy in high school in the late 60's whose dad owned a '53 Chevy he would use on dates then. His dad bought it new; best I recall it had about 60k on it when it was 15 years old...strictly an in-town car.

I seem to recall a filter like your pic, maybe higher up on the engine (?) though did not know it was likely dealer-installed. It was a PITA to change the element as so much oil seemed to remain in the canister. Given how much oil it burned, it would not have made much difference if we had ever changed it or not.
smirk.gif
But we were teens into such things.

An uncle had a '51 into the early 1960's but I don't recall his having a filter at all. It might have but back then I wasn't as attuned to this stuff.

Any pix of the car you can share?

My parents had a '54 with essentially the same engine, minus the modifications. I remember the oil filter ritual well. The flat filter gasket made a decent Frisbee---before actual Frisbees were invented.
Originally Posted By: eagle23
... I seem to recall a filter like your pic, maybe higher up on the engine (?) though did not know it was likely dealer-installed. It was a PITA to change the element as so much oil seemed to remain in the canister. ...
An uncle had a '51 into the early 1960's but I don't recall his having a filter at all. ...
Oil filters were optional. My NJ landlady's '55 Chevy had no oil filter (and barely an air filter), and went well over 100k anyway.
Yes, there was maybe 10 ounces of old oil left in the filter housing after the filter came out. My father sucked it out with a syringe made for farm veterinary purposes, and wiped the housing clean of oil and sludge. (In my opinion, that routine was far less of a PITA than accessing the filter and drain plug of my '11 Prius!)

Our optional filter was clamped onto the side of the normal stock intake manifold, not far from where we see it with mrslv04's exotic intake system.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
you do wonder about the fuel filter and hose above the exhaust manifold

Noticed that as well. That filter should also go before the pump, not after.

Ymmv

Originally Posted By: Propflux01

Noticed that as well. That filter should also go before the pump, not after.

Ymmv

There's several inches of distance between the fuel line and the manifold. It just doesn't look like there is in that picture.

That's not the only fuel filter on that line. There's a metal one before the pump. The one that is there now is clear plastic, so I can see that there's gas in it.

Hasn't blown up in 66 years, probably will not ever blow.

As if that is rare and unique?

Dozens of different engines were designed that way.

Some Chevrolets didn't come with standard oil filters until the late 60s.Talk about trying to out-cheap Ford and Plymouth on the sticker price....

Frantz made a filter for these type of canisters, fits in place of element. What about Luber Finer P70? Has vacuum wipers? Common to have the fuel filter like shown, some carbs have the filter built into the casting at the inlet. There needs to be a filter after the fuel pump more than before it.

If you have a NAPA nearby, see if they have a Napa gold filter. Same as Wix, just drop the 5 of the font of the number, your Wix 51100 is a NAPA gold 1100.
My local store keeps them on the shelf!

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Frantz made a filter for these type of canisters, fits in place of element. What about Luber Finer P70? Has vacuum wipers? Common to have the fuel filter like shown, some carbs have the filter built into the casting at the inlet. There needs to be a filter after the fuel pump more than before it.

Wipers are 12 volt electric. They work, but they never get used, as this car isn't going to see any rain.

Originally Posted By: cronk
If you have a NAPA nearby, see if they have a Napa gold filter. Same as Wix, just drop the 5 of the font of the number, your Wix 51100 is a NAPA gold 1100.
My local store keeps them on the shelf!

Looks like they do, for $20 each, plus tax. Would be an option in a "gotta have one now" situation.

Problem is, my local NAPA gets dickish to people who only buy filters. They want to see you all the time, or not see you at all. It is really odd.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
Neat pic of the dual-single barrel Offy manifold! Did you install or did you get it like that?

Had a buddy in high school in the late 60's whose dad owned a '53 Chevy he would use on dates then. His dad bought it new; best I recall it had about 60k on it when it was 15 years old...strictly an in-town car.

I seem to recall a filter like your pic, maybe higher up on the engine (?) though did not know it was likely dealer-installed. It was a PITA to change the element as so much oil seemed to remain in the canister. Given how much oil it burned, it would not have made much difference if we had ever changed it or not.
smirk.gif
But we were teens into such things.

An uncle had a '51 into the early 1960's but I don't recall his having a filter at all. It might have but back then I wasn't as attuned to this stuff.

Any pix of the car you can share?

It came to me with the dual carb set up, and the split exhaust manifold. It has dual exhaust with a couple of tiny glass pack mufflers. She really rips when you want it to.

Yes, when you change the oil and filter, the extra oil in the canister has to be sucked out. I use a battery filler bulb to do that. Quicker than a turkey baster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back