Oil/Filter for 2012 Yamaha FZ6R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha,

I'm picking up a new bike today (2012 Yamaha FZ6R) and I'm gonna change the oil and filter right away to start fresh. The bike only has 2500 miles on it, but not sure when the last change was done. Anyone have experience or suggestions for this bike? Thanks!

-Max

Originally Posted By: Max_D
Aloha,

I'm picking up a new bike today (2012 Yamaha FZ6R) and I'm gonna change the oil and filter right away to start fresh. The bike only has 2500 miles on it, but not sure when the last change was done. Anyone have experience or suggestions for this bike? Thanks!

-Max

Unless you can see a maintenance log for the bike I'd suggest you assume that is that is the factory fill and the original filter.

Yamaha oil filter. Rotella.
lol.gif

Not really joking, though.
smile.gif
You could use a thousand different oils that will work just fine, Rotella is as good a choice as any.

*given that it is available in the correct grade for your application

Last edited:
I owned one before i bought my XSR900. Great bike. Any 10w40 meeting JASO MA will work great or as mentioned above use Rotella or Delvac 15w40 HDEO and a Yamaha filter. Plenty of good options.

Its a Yamaha so it will last forever as long as you halfway maintain it.

I started using Amalie oil this season. I have tried a lot of oils and this motorcycle 10w40 of their's 'feels' great. I am a stickler for good shifting m\c oils. Amalie is in a class of it's own. I worked at a dealer for ten years. I have tried every oil that I could get my hands on for the street and track. This is the best for my shifting toe That I have found. JUst a thought guys. It's a conventional and it's relatively cheap. amaliestore.com $41 for a case of 12 free shipping. Oh, it's the official NHRA oil this year too....YMMV...enjoy

Originally Posted By: Max_D
Aloha,

-Max

Any JASO MA oil will work well in the FZ6, ranging from popular motorcycle brands, to an HDEO like Rotella. I’ve ran both in my FZ1 with no issues and virtually no noticeable difference in shifting feel/quality.

As for oil filters, HiFlo 204 or 204RC filters are a great bang for the buck, and you can’t go wrong with the OEM Yamaha filters made by Denso (although they are more expensive). Donnyj08 is absolutely right, those motors are bulletproof (based off the R6 motor) and with simple maintenance will run forever.

Thanks for the all the responses! My local Napa carries K&N 204 filters and Lucas Racing 20-50 full synthetic so looks like I'll be getting those. So stoked on the new bike

Since you have a local Napa I would recommend the Napa Gold 1358 over the K&N filter due to some of their gasket sealing issues and their ban at many motorcycle track events. You should be able to save a few bucks as well, and still end up with a high quality filter.

Last edited:
I've owned my 2006 Yamaha R1 since 2008 and I've only ever run Rotella in it.

I started with the 5w40 but eventually switched to 15w40 as I don't put many miles on it and the 15w40 is more shear stable.

never used a factory filter on it. used Purolator filters, quakerstate filters and bosch filters, no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back