Rapido Czech single-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw this "daily driver" yesterday. I would guess '60s or '70s, perhaps competing with the imported British Raleighs of the day:

I wish this photo had turned out better - the crest looks to me like it's right out of "King Ottokar's Sceptre":

The rear fender doesn't look original. It has a three piece crank and a lugged frame so I doubt it was cheap when new. I wonder what size the tires are?

Don't see any sign of brake hardware, so my guess is its a fairly good frame that's been retrofitted with a backpedal ("coaster") brake.

Seems to be a "thing" with the small bike shops here, probably partly because Taiwanese don't do maintenance so there's a big supply of frames with wrecked derailler gearsets. Didn't know it was done anywhere else.

They tend to be fairly cheap and sold mostly to yoofs, but I've had a few (built from salvaged bits like the shops probably do) and am running a couple of them at the moment. They go all right but they don't stop very well.

People occaisionally ask why my bike has no brakes and I tell them brakes stop you being at one with the Zen of the traffic flow. Sometimes they actually buy it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The rear fender doesn't look original. It has a three piece crank and a lugged frame so I doubt it was cheap when new. I wonder what size the tires are?
Agreed on the rear fender - it looks out of place. The chain guard makes me think it was equipped with a single chain-ring up front, and thus may have been a single-speed from new. Agreed on the 3-piece crank as well - cottered cranks were the norm on cheap bikes for quite a while.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Don't see any sign of brake hardware, so my guess is its a fairly good frame that's been retrofitted with a backpedal ("coaster") brake.

Seems to be a "thing" with the small bike shops here, probably partly because Taiwanese don't do maintenance so there's a big supply of frames with wrecked derailler gearsets. Didn't know it was done anywhere else.

They tend to be fairly cheap and sold mostly to yoofs, but I've had a few (built from salvaged bits like the shops probably do) and am running a couple of them at the moment. They go all right but they don't stop very well.

People occaisionally ask why my bike has no brakes and I tell them brakes stop you being at one with the Zen of the traffic flow. Sometimes they actually buy it.

It's not uncommon for cyclists here to retrofit old multispeed bikes here with a single-speed rear hub and studded tires to make a cheap and reliable winter bike. The derailleurs really get beaten up by the salty slush here. (This would not be as common in Taiwan I would think.)
smile.gif

Jr did this with my old Norco Bigfoot mountain bike, and made it a fixi as well, and so only retained the front brake.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I have a Sekine 10 speed from the late 70’s. The bikes were made in Canada with parts from Japan. Still enjoy taking it for a spin.

Sekines were assembled on a First Nation near Rivers, a town here in Manitoba. There may have been a provincial or federal subsidy. The bikes are still well-regarded here now, but are getting scarce. Enjoy yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back