Large vs Small Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "correct" filter for our 2001 V8 Tundra is tiny. I use the one that fits an older Landcruiser.
M1-301 if memory serves.
Makes for a perfect 7 quart change. Come to think of it, it's time to get dirty...

Last June we purchased a Buick with the 3.8l V-6 . I thought to use a larger filter . But , first oil / filter change , I bought the " standard " filter . Good thing , I do not think a larger filter would have fit .

So much for a bright idea .

We inherited Dad's Caprice with 5.0l V-8 . He used a larger filter , specified for the Chevy pick ups . No space issues . But , we drive it so infrequently , I have only changed oil in it a few times . Probably used what I picked up at Walmart .

Only if it's vertically mounted and at the bottom of the engine. Because in that case, there is the risk of bottoming out and destroying the oil filter, and possibly the engine too.

I run a ~35% larger filter (M-110A Champion Labs) as the std Nissan filter is the size of a fuel filter. And the engine knocked and rattled in the winter until I got a good filter and up rated oil in there. The M-110 is spec'd for the Nissan Titan V8 and the GT-R.

Usually any start-up rattle is related to one of two things: 1 Mostly the anti-drain-back-valve (ADBV) and its ability to seal well when no flow is present. 2 The nature of synthetic oils which often exhibit drain off. This not to say there is not some residual oil film, but it can be much thinner.

Most synthetics (PAO & POE) have a lower surface tension than straight dino oils. In part, this is where that 0W low viscosity cold fluid comes from. This means they do not maintain capillary fill as well. So for vehicles that sit a lot, often this comes with rattle. Good old dino oils are much better at maintaining a thick'er residual oil film in the bearings, so are often much quieter on start-up.

If you get rattle, the first thing to do is change the filter. Get say a Napa Gold and see if the rattle goes away. If it does, you know it was the ADBV on the first filter ...

As far as running oversized filters, why not? They are the same cost, you get a bit more volume (always good for cooling, one of oils main jobs, heat transfer), and they flow cold thick oil better w/o opening the internal by-pass valve because they almost always have more media. More area to pass the oil through.

They also have more media area to capture debris. So they can more easily go 2X oil changes, if that is your thing (it's mine)
smile.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Last June we purchased a Buick with the 3.8l V-6 . I thought to use a larger filter . But , first oil / filter change , I bought the " standard " filter . Good thing , I do not think a larger filter would have fit .

I've had a series of Grand Prixs with the 3.8 and used the large filter
on all of them. It's a bit more 'fiddly' getting the strap wrench on but
it fits and works well.
For some reason, the Buick folks didn't change the angle when they turned
the engine sideways. Shame on them.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: 2009Edge
Will it hurt an engine if I use a larger filter?

It will take slightly longer for that long filter to totally fill up at start up.

OE size
Part Number: 51225
Height: 3.41 (87)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 (74)*

Currently installed
Part Number: 51515
Height: 5.197 (132)*
Outer Diameter Top: 3.661 (93)*
Being an air cooled bike, I use it for the extra capacity in case I get stuck sitting for a while.
Looks like it belongs there no worse that the primary/tranny on that thing. Best part it doesn't have H-D stamped on it. It's getting obnoxious.

Also the same filter I use for the Jeep, also an oversize, just not that drastic. The R1 uses the Civic/Titan (lol) filter. Limited by the headers, can't go real wild there, not that I've seen a bigger filter.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

It will take slightly longer for that long filter to totally fill up at start up.

Not an issue for those that pre fill the filter. There is enough oil film in the engine to do its job while this is happening anyway.

As long as it fits (and can be installed / removed ) it's fine. You will have to add perhaps a half quart / litre more oil (varies), so don't forget that part when you do your oil change fill. Be sure the drainback valve spec is the same as the filter recommended in your manual.

To answer your specific question as posed: No, it will not hurt the engine.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:

I've had a series of Grand Prixs with the 3.8 and used the large filter
on all of them. It's a bit more 'fiddly' getting the strap wrench on but
it fits and works well.
For some reason, the Buick folks didn't change the angle when they turned
the engine sideways. Shame on them.

My 2¢

Ours is a 2006 Lacrosse . Best I remember ( had to do some searching to find it ) , it is near the passenger control arm . Underneath the upper , I think .

Seams like there is not a lot of room between the bottom of the filter & the lower control arm ? Didn't look like there was enough room to get a longer filter in and out .

Will study it again the next time I change oil / filter .

So in this often appearing topic, the consensus is only the size of the can matters, but not the area of the media inside?

Can size matters to those that want oil capacity up, media are for better flow/loading. Not matter what is important, you get both in varying degrees.

Larger filter = more oil, more media, a very slight decrease in the speed the oil travels thru the media but over a couple of hundred thousand miles, every little bit helps.

For my V8 4Runner, I use the longer M1-209. It mounts at a down angle and oil does not go uphill to the pan when the engine stops so there's no worry about a delay in oil pressure on startup.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

The filter will be installed Open end up, Vertical. Filter should always be full.

The filter will be installed Open end up, Vertical. Filter should always be full.

Not a sure thing depending on the location of the filter. A leaky ADBV on a verticle base up filter can still cause oil to leak back down to the sump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back