Speeding ticket; Ouch

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the city police here seem to knock your 'cited speed' down to be around 10 over.

At 11+ over is when the ticket goes on your insurance records (or gets reported to insurance agencies via DPS).

It's almost as if they are looking for revenue ($165 ish), but not wanting to make a bunch of people angry and vengeful for getting points on their record.

Speed tickets are a joke.

Seems like everyone around DFW drives 10+ MPH over the speed limit, regardless of the road or posted limits. Cops don't seem to care much either.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Pay a fine?

Appear in court?

I'd rather call my lawyer.

This. I'd rather pay the ~$150 for an attorney to handle the situation than to take a day off of work to appear in court. That's what I've done in the past and it's never not been worth every penny.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I try to drive responsibly and defensively. I see way too many speeding imbeciles on I-95, especially near DC. In 50 years of driving, I have two moving violations: one failure to yield in VA in 1983 and one speeding 10 mph over in a 25 mph "tourist trap" zone written by a d-bag female police officer in 1989 in Duck NC.

A "Female Police Officer" is called a "Police Officer".

And? He stated a complete fact.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Imp4
1. My uncle's the governor
2. I didn't know it was a school zone
3. There weren't any lanes marked
4. I didn't see the sign
5. My ticket was for the posted limit
6. I was an attorney in a former life
7. I figured I'd fight it and win

Sheesh!!!
2 below is the way to go!

Have you ever driven in Texas?

The 2 below comment was somewhat facetious, but what I was trying to highlight was the wide array of...... explanations

I’ve been pulled over, told the truth to the officer, apologized respectfully, and been let off with a warning a few times.

I’ve fought two tickets and won. One was my fault, one wasn’t. I explained that both times to the person at court and was let off. I didn’t have to lie.

I was pulled over while NOT speeding once, fought it, and lost. I was in a fast car. Judge tore me a new one for even having the audacity to question the officer. My only solice came in whispering to the officer that he should be ashamed of himself as I walked past him on my way out of the court room. He didn’t even look up at me. He couldn’t have cared less, and was likely bored as he sat through a day’s worth of citations. Kind of made me wonder how many were legit; I doubt anyone who didn’t have a dash cam got off, either. Chaching for that town!

Most Texas cops will let you run 5-7 over the limit.

9-10 over the limit in may "speed traps".....

11-19 over and you'll very likely get a ticket.

I heard once that once you go 20+ over the limit, they tow your car and haul you to the clink to book you for your court date - just so you take the hint.... clearly.

In Montana, 20+ over the limit is "reckless driving" -
you can lose your license for a few weeks,
and then you need "proof of financial responsibility" which means your insurance goes $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last speeding ticket I got was 12 years ago on the East side of the Atchafalya Basin Bridge (in the parish where Britney Spears hails from) doing 87 in a 55 mph limit zone. A SUV & I had been hammering along the bridge trading who was on point and I was the one on point coming over the last hump where two state troopers were waiting at the bottom. According to the fee schedule on the back of the ticket the base fine was just under $200, then fines for the actual speed vs. posted limit added another $300 or so, and anything 20 mph or more over the posted limit carried an automatic extra reckless driving charge adding another $300 or so fine, for a total around $800. I decided to go to court & see the judge and took $1000 cash with me. After chatting with the old codger whose judicial office shared a building with the bait & tackle stand he owned, he dropped everything but the base charge after I inquired about taking defensive driving class and he informing me that they just don't do that sort of thing in rural Louisiana. He hollered out to his secretary to just charge me the base fine so I got out of there for just under $200. Nothing ever appeared on my record nor insurance notification. He kept going on about how he was happy I'd brought my pretty wife to court with me which irritated her but she remarkably kept her mouth shut and a pleasant demeanor. The 21st century has yet to invade rural Louisiana despite the Internet!

When I started driving my first speeding ticket was $10 for going 10 MPH over the limit coming home late from my girlfrirnd's house my junior year of high school at a notorious speed trap at a curve in the road near where a speed limit change took place. When my dad found out about it instead of being angry, he was kind of proud and walked me through how to plead Nolo Contendere and the court process and even paid my fine. Keep in mind he owned a DeSoto with an early Hemi with the words "Ring Of Fire" as part of the factory trim, and his science nerd son was ticketed coming home late from his (first) girlfriend's house. It was simply a rite of manhood. He'd been ticketed for speeding just like I was at that same curve about a year prior to my ticket.

Five total speeding tickets in almost sixty years of driving. Just picked up my first right of way violation-- two facing lanes stopped for another accident and both parties waved me through the intersection. Stupidly didn't even though there was a third turning lane on the side. Got hit by a kid with no insurance who was speeding--but as the cop said, he might be going fifty and you five (I was) but you were in his lane. So there...

Missouri is one of the few states where just about anything can be bought down to a non-moving offense. City prosecutor comes in with a list of non-moving offenses and for enough money-- that moving offense can be reduced to a bad muffler. Attorney gets $100, city gets a couple of hundred extra and no points.

I haven't had a $peeding ticket in over 18 year$. They were expen$ive then and even wor$t today. Tho$e whom I know that do get ticket$ are paying in exce$$ of $400-$600 per ticket with $tate $urcharges and increa$ed in$urance premium$. Not me. $et your crui$e control. There are better thing$ to $pend your money on.

I've had about 5 tickets in over 50 years. All on the open road by radar or A/C overhead and all well deserved on cruise control at 8-10 mph over the limit. Many more earned but only warnings. I always have at least one performance car and they are often a target for a stop, while my station wagons have generated no tickets and little notice even as I drive them the same. My wife will sometimes drive a red Nissan 350z convert in summer and she gets stopped in that, but no tickets so far.

Trying to defend a traffic offence here, you would be seen as wasteing the court systems time...and you will be made to pay for it. Decades ago when I was 18 and had to appear in court for a minor offence, I saw a future Prime Minister of NZ defending someone for a speeding offence - ''His speedometer was reading incorrectly your Honour, and we have the calibration certificate here...'' It must have cost him 10 times the fine just to get off it.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
These are unjust laws and would NEVER be convicted if you could have a trial of your peers.

Illegal is Illegal. I guess you could try to claim double jeopardy, or entrapment.

This. It's rarely about "safety" but more about revenue and since limits are generally set too low it's easy picking. I'm surprised we let them get away with it.

We got stopped outside Dallas on the Interstate. My buddy, who was driving said “ Officer, we were just trying to keep up with traffic.” The tough looking Trooper said to us “ Well, I remember what what my Daddy used to tell me. Just because the others are doing it doesn’t mean you have to.” He let us go with a warning.

Too many tickets to remember, I think I lost count at about 17. Mostly gotten when I was younger than 32. I used to try to be the fastest car on the road, and that made me more conspicuous to police. So I slowed down a few mph, and accumulated a lot fewer tickets.

Some highlights:
Got a ticket for 85 mph on I80 in western Pa. Cop was cool about it. I was going really fast, so no argument there. He just wrote the ticket, then said "there are no more troopers from here to the border, so have a nice drive".

Got a ticket for 67 mph in a 55 zone in a Ryder high-cube rental van. Cop said "I didn't even think those things could go that fast." He didn't realize how long it took me to get it there.

I've gotten out of state tickets, and I always sent in the check promptly, and they never appeared as points on my license.

Last ticket I got was in 2011, and I really didn't think I deserved it, so I went to magistrate's court to tell my side of the story. The cop didn't show up, so they dismissed it. They gave me some song-and-dance about him being on the way to court, but didn't meet the half-hour time limit. I figured he didn't bother showing because he knew his case was lame.

Last edited:
On Long Island, NY and in New Jersey, the speed limits run from 55MPH to 65MPH. I have been driving them for years. When traffic conditions permit, I cruise at 20MPH over the speed limit all day long. I do not weave in and out of lines to keep this speed up, I only cruise 20 over if I can do it with only occasional lane shifts.

20 over is what triggers a huge increase in fines in NY, I suspect the same in NJ. I have passed many speed traps at 20 over, maintaining my lane and not tailgating.

I think what triggers the LEO's to stop and issue a ticket is when people are driving 15-20 over, but switching lanes in close quarters and pushing the envelope trying to be the fastest on the highway. That is what will get you stopped.

I got one once for 135MPH in a 55 out west in a 1983 Sentra. The cop was "nice" not arresting me and handing a massive ticket/fine.

I promptly fought through the mail with basic research(I think car magazine articles) and (film) pictures of stock motor/VIN that the car was not capable of doing 135 MPH especially with a 4 speed manual!!!!

It took months but eventually they reduced the violation to 65 in a 55 and I took it. All via mail. I was doing the top speed of car around 100MPH on some back desert road.

I'll play.

Got my first one last fall for going 88 in a 60. Anything 25+ requires defensive drivers training and the guy was nice enough to write 75 on the ticket. Got it deferred so no insurance worries. Not sure on points.

The hardest part was paying the ticket at the courthouse with all the bums late on their child support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back