Using a FL-500S in place of a FL-820S?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 Ford Contour calls for the old style Motorcraft 820S filter. As I understand it, the 500S is essentially the same thing just skinnier so would it hurt to use it instead? My filter wrench only fits the 500S size filter and not the 820S. Also, reading old posts here there seems to be little no problems with the 500S yet the 820S has tears left and right among other issues. I'd like to stick with Motorcraft because they're cheapest and easiest to find in my area, this car is just a daily commuter so it's not exactly a baby by any means and will be using cheap conventional oil and a 5000 mile OCI so I can't justify a better filter like a Fram Ultra at such a short interval. Any reason not to use the 500S in place of the 820S?

Last edited:
Also the filter that's currently on the car (I just bought it) is a Pennzoil PZ-173 and is the same size as the 500S. Apparently this is the filter all the Pennzoil jobber shops use for 500S and 820S applications so it must be okay?

It would probably be ok, but I have seen Ford decline to cover an engine repair under warranty because the 500s size filters are not the proper ones per Ford.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
It would probably be ok, but I have seen Ford decline to cover an engine repair under warranty because the 500s size filters are not the proper ones per Ford.

Yeah I understand, but am not too worried about it, car's way out of warranty anyway. It's unlikely I'll ever take it to a dealership for anything either, I avoid those places unless it's absolutely necessary.

I'm sure it will be fine. The 500 is typically more expensive than the 820 from what I've seen.

jongies3, Walmart FL500S = $6, and Walmart Fram Ultra XG10575 = $9.63. Not much difference. Cost is not an issue. Fram Ultra is built better and it also filters better. Forget Motorcraft, its not as good. Even for short oil change intervals, might as well us an Ultra here. ... or, even better, keep the Ultra on for 2 oil changes at your short intervals; it can handle that no problem since the Ultra holds more dirt before clogging.

Last edited:
It won't hurt anything, in fact I have a few FL-500S size old style PSL22500 Puro Synthetic filters that I will eventually use on the 4.6. A lot of cheap oil change deals will include an undersize filter, which won't hurt anything on a clean engine for a standard (non-extended) OCI.

Use the 820s and cut it open. I bet it will be fine. If made after 1/17 it meets USCAR-36 test specs. It's a 22 year old car it has been around awhile, I'd use the recommended and not worry at all.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Use the 820s and cut it open. I bet it will be fine. If made after 1/17 it meets USCAR-36 test specs. It's a 22 year old car it has been around awhile, I'd use the recommended and not worry at all.

Guess I'm not in the know, but what is USCAR-36?

Unfortunately, passing a test spec doesn't always ensure manufacturing quality unless they are pulling manufactured filters daily and testing them.

A manufacturer can have the best drawings and material specifications in the world, but if the manufacturing process isn't building that product correctly then quality issues happen, which could lead to failures - ie, torn media from excessively spaced pleats.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: goodtimes

Guess I'm not in the know, but what is USCAR-36?

Someone posted it on here before. Some interesting test requirements besides efficiency, one being media shedding. If an MC is made after the date shown it was made under USCAR-36.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mot...A&FORM=VIRE

I have heard that the FL820s has a 16 psi bypass and the FL500s is 8 psi. Not sure if that is still the case or not.

Anyone got a link to an official Motorcraft source showing the actual bypass setting? Can't go by a cross referenced filter and assume it's the same.

Well if there's any assuming you're the one choosing to do jt. Wix specifically makes a seperate 57899 filter to ctoss for the dimensionally identical Mopar MO-899, the difference being setting the BPV to 16 PSID to match the Mopar filter BPV set pressure. Note Fram and Purolator simy set BPV pressure based on their own design at 12 PSID and don't differentiate between the Motorcraft and Mopar applications. The Carquest 84899 for Mopar applications was discontinued when Purolator got the contract for CQ oil filters, and the Motorcraft cross is substituted gor both with the Purolator standard BPV set pressure.

Just the facts, I know, not something you choose to adhere to personally, and outside your realm of experience.

Why can't you reply in a non condensending belligerent manner? Didn't you learn anything from your last episode.

My point was, just because a filter crosses to another brand doesn't automatically ensure the bypass valves are set to the same value. Not all filters specified for the same vehicle across all brands will have the same bypass setting. Oil filters are not all created equal.

Need to see an official spec from Motorcraft for the bypass settings, not a guess based on a cross reference. Those are not facts.

Looking up the 820s on WM, it's $3.19. If I had a 96 Contour, which was a nice car, I would go a little wild and use it since Ford recommends it.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Why can't you reply in a non condensending belligerent manner? Didn't you learn anything from your last episode.

My point was, just because a filter crosses to another brand doesn't automatically ensure the bypass valves are set to the same value. Not all filters specified for the same vehicle across all brands will have the same bypass setting. Oil filters are not all created equal.

Need to see an official spec from Motorcraft for the bypass settings, not a guess based on a cross reference. Those are not facts.

Why don't you take it in as well as dish it out? Immaturity, and a proven prevaricator to boot.

Here's what reveals your big initial assumption - I never said Motorcraft specs matched Wix specs. Try reading what's posted, and once again I challenge you to use the quote feature here to prove otherwise angry little boy. All facts. Just you creating another of your tantrums to garner drama for yourself again here.

Last edited:
Wow! Who's the one here continually flying off the handle and going into a tantrum, and going into a personal attack mode over really nothing? Maybe you need a vacation so you can self reflect and maybe change your attitude.

And you did say you believed those MC filters had 22 PSI bypass valves. No links or official info to prove it, just links to cross referenced filters of a different brand. No facts. Oh well, maybe next time.

I ignore that boy a long time ago lol . When ever some one ask question about filter other then none garbage fram . He always have some negative to say
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Why don't you take it in as well as dish it out? Immaturity, and a proven prevaricator to boot.

Here's what reveals your big initial assumption - I never said Motorcraft specs matched Wix specs. Try reading what's posted, and once again I challenge you to use the quote feature here to prove otherwise angry little boy. All facts. Just you creating another of your tantrums to garner drama for yourself again here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back