BMW LL01 alternate oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate thread to ask this question but here goes... I'm trying to decide between Castrol Edge 0W-30 or Castrol Edge 0W-40 for my 2010 535i. The indy shop I recently began going to used Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 MST for the last oil change. As this oil is a low-SAPS oil, and BMW LL-04 rated, I don't feel comfortable leaving it in the sump for more than 5k miles. The car is now approaching 108k miles, and the oils I've used are as follows (in chronological order): BMW TwinPower Turbo 5W-30 (dealer), Mobil 1 0W-40, Castrol Edge 0W-40. These oils followed a 10k mile OCI. I switched to Castrol Edge 0W-40 after Mobil 1 0W-40 was reformulated and lost the BMW LL-01 certification. I have been led to believe that "thinner is better" (as long as it meets the requirements of climate, driving habits, etc.) and, therefore, would prefer to go with the 0W-30 over the 0W-40 for that reason (both oils are BMW LL-01 certified). I was living in a dry, arid (desert) climate previously but recently relocated to the Seattle area. With the high ambient temperatures experienced in my previous location, it seemed almost a no-brainer to go with the 0W-40. With the more moderate temperatures I now experience, I'm wondering if switching to the 0W-30 would be better (e.g. less engine wear on starts & warmup without materially sacrificing protection)? I typically drive a 10-mile (each way) daily commute to work. Otherwise, I only drive longer distances on few occasions (weekends & holidays).

To add: My previous residence was in California, and I'm not certain about the difference in fuel quality between California and Washington. California regulates gasoline much more strictly than other states, but I haven't found a good comparison between the regulatory requirements between California and Washington. Sulfur content in California is regulated to 20ppm (Max) and 15ppm (Average, superseded by EPA 10ppm Average requirement?). I believe Washington only goes by the US EPA regulation for Sulfur (10ppm Average, 95ppm Max). Also, I can't get a clear idea of the amount of Ethanol content in California gasoline versus Washington. Washington does require oxygenated fuel which I believe might provide some benefit in reducing CBU in direct injection gasoline engines (?).

The difference between Castrol 0W-30 and 40 is very small; negligible. If both were the same price, I’d pick the 0W-30 variant (unfortunately, the 30 is way more expensive these days). I bough about 18 quarts of it last year when it was on sale, and that’s what I use in our Mini. It’s too expensive to use in my 9 quart sump X5. For all intents and purposes, they are the same oil.

Last edited:
Please excuse me if i am posting in the wrong section.

I recently purchased a lexus lx 570 from a bmw dealership.

The bmw dealership used bmw twin power 0w20. I was wondering if it is safe to keep in and wait 5000 miles. Someone told me it is not safe for the lx engine. Please comment if i should get an oil change.

Originally Posted By: 32cls6speedmt
Please excuse me if i am posting in the wrong section.

I recently purchased a lexus lx 570 from a bmw dealership.

The bmw dealership used bmw twin power 0w20. I was wondering if it is safe to keep in and wait 5000 miles. Someone told me it is not safe for the lx engine. Please comment if i should get an oil change.

If the Lexus specs a 0W-20, then it is safe.

Welcome by the way
smile.gif

Last edited:
thanks for the quick response. Toyota states 0w20 synthetic. I believe Bmw twin power is a synthetic.

It is, and it's a very high quality one too. Not cheap!

Thanks. I am fan of the Pennzoil Ultra Premium. Good thing, I asked.

Actually it is much better oil then what you can get with Pennzoil Ultra.
BMW TPT are really, really good oils. It is cutting edge technology and so far what I have seen, Toyota is not using anything close to TPT.
LX570 has an engine that is not hard on oil. Those TPT 0W20 oils are lubricating BMW engines that produce more power from half a size of engine that 5.7 V8 in Lexus does. They have to lubricate two turbos sometimes, or two phase turbos.
Use BMW TPT with confidence. I think I will soon purchase Toyota Highlander for my growing family needs and I might actually use TPT, although it is bit of overkill.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
A well engineered engine should not be sensitive to engine oil selection and work equally well over a broad spectrum.
I found it true with Japanese and North American engine designs.
The fuel economy may change slightly, say from 5W20 to 15W40, but other than that, the engines don't care much as long as the W grade suits the ambient.
Maybe, just maybe, German engineering ain't what it's cracked up to be.
Again, maybe Donald Trump has this one right too.
Put a 25% tariff on them for taking up valuable shelf space in the oil department.

Well, for your info, since there are other parts of the world, Japanese engines in Europe are specd usually for ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils, often W40 oils.
As for American engines, those that are sold in Europe, like few Corvette's and Mustangs, some HEMI's are specd ALSO for ACEA A3/B3 B4 oils. Rest of American engines on German auto bahn would not make it from Munich to Hamburg.
European manufacturers are requiring from American driver same as from German driver, to be more engaged, and not ignorant. Japanese manufacturers gave up, so they cater to average American driver who care more about cup holders then what oil goes into engine.
And your understanding of engines is actually on par with Donald's.

Yepp, thats true! Havent seen one dealer that uses ilsac gf 5 spec oils, except for toyota that is selling their own branded oil for 17€ liter. Honda dealer use 0w-40 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back