Merc 3.0CRD Oil advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
Originally Posted By: Tikka
If you’re looking for the ultimate in engine and turbo protection, then a Low-Mid SAPS oil isn’t the best choice. I think you probably want the additional AW additives an E7 or E9 synthetic Diesel engine oil. E7 or E9 in 5w30 or 5w40 would be the lube for you.

Hi
Would a 228.51 spec suit my needs better? If I am reading things correctly 228.51 seems to be a diesel specific spec.
According to Mercedes this spec is ok on the om642 without dpf.
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/d/d/en/Spec_223_2.pdf
They seem to be a more Truck and commercial vehicle oil. Although still low saps.

Hi,

Exactly as I said. If you want the "ultimate in engine and turbo protection", you're not going to get that in a low saps oil. Period. ACEA E7 or E9, CJ-4 or CK-4 with a healthy dose of P, Moly and Boron mixed with some magnesium and calcium. Diesels need > 3.5 HTHS minimum. The traditional AW additives still work best. 5w30 or 5w40 based on operational temperatures.

I still stay amazed with this kind of ignorance.

Yep, ignorance. Considering how expensive oil additives are these days, you'd think that if they could reduce their concentration by 25-40% everyone would be doing it. I guess that's why we see so many OTR semis, Farm equipment and light duty trucks all using low saps oils. These automotive manufacturers must all be ignorant too, since they make the specifications. Maybe they should hire you as a tribology consultant? Have you thought about starting a new career?

Originally Posted By: zeng
I am guessing you guys use a 40 weight due to your hot climate?

Yes, I'd access to Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W40 MB 229.51 C3.

Not PETRONAS I see. Any particular reason as I presume it is readily available?

Yes ,in relation to Quartz MC3 Ineo 5W40 , Petronas MB 229.31 C3 is pricier but weaker spec though readily available.

Quote:
Yep, ignorance. Considering how expensive oil additives are these days, you'd think that if they could reduce their concentration by 25-40% everyone would be doing it. I guess that's why we see so many OTR semis, Farm equipment and light duty trucks all using low saps oils. These automotive manufacturers must all be ignorant too, since they make the specifications. Maybe they should hire you as a tribology consultant? Have you thought about starting a new career?

I guess all those diesels in Europe that run on C3 oils and making hundreds of thousands of miles have fake odometers.
My brothers BMW 525d E61 with M57 engine made some 290k (miles) on C3 oil. Was still capable of doing 145mph, and not using drop of oil.
He has now 20 diesels that he is running for his business purposes and all are above 200k (miles) including several MB Sprinters and Viano's. All run on C3 oils, see much higher speeds then any diesel will see in the U.S. and more demanding urban driving.
But I know you know better then BMW or MB engineers. This [censored] about Low-SAPS oil comes every now and then on BITOG> Same like: Use Redline, ZDDP or your engine and your family will die in miserable death.

Well it's a good thing the OP isn't pushing a semi or a tractor as a daily driver. SAPS level affects oil longevity (acid neutralizing ability) far more than boundary-layer surface wear. Based on years of looking at the UOA section, low/mid/high SAPS has zero correlation with engine wear.

Quote:

I guess all those diesels in Europe that run on C3 oils and making hundreds of thousands of miles have fake odometers.
My brothers BMW 525d E61 with M57 engine made some 290k (miles) on C3 oil. Was still capable of doing 145mph, and not using drop of oil.
He has now 20 diesels that he is running for his business purposes and all are above 200k (miles) including several MB Sprinters and Viano's. All run on C3 oils, see much higher speeds then any diesel will see in the U.S. and more demanding urban driving.
But I know you know better then BMW or MB engineers. This [censored] about Low-SAPS oil comes every now and then on BITOG> Same like: Use Redline, ZDDP or your engine and your family will die in miserable death.

I would not use Redline anything in a diesel. Although they make a good product, RL doesn't have any specific formula designed for oil burners. There are better options out there...

The OP asked for the "Ultimate in Engine and Turbo protection rather then fuel economy." Usually that comes from an HDEO, especially when diesels are involved. I'd love to run a 10K and 8K OCI followed with a UOA in my TDI w/ Delvac ESP 5w40. Then I could compare it to the high wear metals seen with a low saps 507 oil in this car. However, I am going to do the buyback this summer so I won't have the opportunity to prove you wrong. How sweet that would have been...

When you prepare your resume for your new career as a triblolgy consultant, make sure to include all your anecdotal and unsubtantiated claims about your brother's "fleet" as the basis for your expertise.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Well it's a good thing the OP isn't pushing a semi or a tractor as a daily driver. SAPS level affects oil longevity (acid neutralizing ability) far more than boundary-layer surface wear. Based on years of looking at the UOA section, low/mid/high SAPS has zero correlation with engine wear.

Not just tractors. Don't forget all the motorcycles that use HDEOs in there crankcases. I guess they're using an HDEO for the acid neutrizing ablity and not the add pack?

And don't forget all the motoring enthusiasts using HDEOs in the sports cars. Delvac synthetic engine and gear oil was very popular with Porsche owners not to long ago. I guess that was also due to the acid neutralizing ability of an HDEO as well? Or maybe not?

Or maybe light duty trucks like the Ecodiesel. FCA realized there was something missing in the low-saps C3 oil originally spec'd for the VM L630, after many owners had oil related engine failures. I guess that missing factor was also the acid neutralizing ability of the CJ-4 spec oil that replaced it? Or was it something else?

Last edited:
Hi Gents
I really appreciate the opinions. I admit to being ignorant about motor oils hence I am here to learn if I can
smile.gif

Can I ask why they make Oils specifically for truck use and then ones for cars like my mb229.51? Surely a turbo diesel in a truck has much the same needs as a turbo diesel in an suv?
I also noted that the heavy duty truck oils are low saps now as they are fitted with dpf.

I had never heard of Ravenol but a google shoes it is available mail order.

Like the other guy said, Low saps in a truck oil is 1% the same as high saps in an oil designed for passenger vehicles at 1%.

Heavy Duty Truck oils like ACEA E7/ E9 and CJ-4 typically have a higher dose of Anti-Wear and dispersants additives than car oils. This is why HD oils are popular with motorcycles and sports cars as they offer a high level of performance and are affordable.

Quote:

I would not use Redline anything in a diesel. Although they make a good product, RL doesn't have any specific formula designed for oil burners. There are better options out there...

The OP asked for the "Ultimate in Engine and Turbo protection rather then fuel economy." Usually that comes from an HDEO, especially when diesels are involved. I'd love to run a 10K and 8K OCI followed with a UOA in my TDI w/ Delvac ESP 5w40. Then I could compare it to the high wear metals seen with a low saps 507 oil in this car. However, I am going to do the buyback this summer so I won't have the opportunity to prove you wrong. How sweet that would have been...

When you prepare your resume for your new career as a triblolgy consultant, make sure to include all your anecdotal and unsubtantiated claims about your brother's "fleet" as the basis for your expertise.

I did my time in oil company on development of oils, so no need to prepare CV's. I enjoy my life as guy who took his [censored] to another level, and has time to read comical posts like yours and still get paid for it.
Redline does make diesel specific engine oils, some look good (those not approved) and some look mediocre (those that are approved).
I worked on development of VW504.00/507.00 oil. I actually have seen numerous UOA with data you will never see from Blackstone, on 1.2TDI, 1.9TDI and 2.0TDI engines. I have also seen those engines disassembled after testing to develop that oil. Based on your posts here, I would say ignorance is actually superlative for you.
Your wear numbers does not mean anything. What that means for you or OP? Does that mean engine will die at 150k? 200k? 300k? Does that mean some components are going to fail? What is bang for a buck there considering premature SCR/DPF failure due to higher SAPS? If higher SAPS is not an issue, why not then using full SAPS? Why not using Castrol 0W40 if "ultimate protection" is what is needed? Or maybe Motul V?

Hi Gents
I really appreciate the opinions. I admit to being ignorant about motor oils hence I am here to learn if I can
smile.gif

Can I ask why they make Oils specifically for truck use and then ones for cars like my mb229.51? Surely a turbo diesel in a truck has much the same needs as a turbo diesel in an suv?
I also noted that the heavy duty truck oils are low saps now as they are fitted with dpf.

I had never heard of Ravenol but a google shoes it is available mail order.

Use Mobil1 5W30 ESP for MB229.51 requirements.
Engine in SUV has different needs from diesel engines in trucks. You are here comparing relatively small displacement engines in SUV's to engines with big displacement, big oil reservoirs and DPF/SCR system that is much more flexible then in SUV's or generally personal vehicles. It is not same to fit SCR/DPF system in Scania or DAF and in BMW X5.
Each applications has its particular needs and requirements. Use what your vehicle manufacturer recommends. They destroyed enough of engines to figure out what that engine needs, regardless that some people here think they now best just because they discovered that they can send UO sample in mail.

Last edited:
I did my time in oil company on development of oils, so no need to prepare CV's. I enjoy my life as guy who took his [censored] to another level, and has time to read comical posts like yours and still get paid for it.
Redline does make diesel specific engine oils, some look good (those not approved) and some look mediocre (those that are approved).
I worked on development of VW504.00/507.00 oil. I actually have seen numerous UOA with data you will never see from Blackstone, on 1.2TDI, 1.9TDI and 2.0TDI engines. I have also seen those engines disassembled after testing to develop that oil. Based on your posts here, I would say ignorance is actually superlative for you.
Your wear numbers does not mean anything. What that means for you or OP? Does that mean engine will die at 150k? 200k? 300k? Does that mean some components are going to fail? What is bang for a buck there considering premature SCR/DPF failure due to higher SAPS? If higher SAPS is not an issue, why not then using full SAPS? Why not using Castrol 0W40 if "ultimate protection" is what is needed? Or maybe Motul V?

Well said. How does 504/507 (C30) compare to 229.5/1? I’ve read it is very stringent on piston deposits, and less on other areas.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Well said. How does 504/507 (C30) compare to 229.5/1? I’ve read it is very stringent on piston deposits, and less on other areas.

VW504.00/507.00 is only 0//5W30 oils and among those oils has most stringent wear requirements. However, it allows SAPS to be very high, all the way to 1.5. Still, it is not possible to achieve DPF protection with such high SAPS, so companies never go above 0.8 in VW504.00/507.00. There is no doubt that low SAPS oils are using less additives, but generally they are because of very stringent requirements "cooked" with very sophisticated additives and high quality base oils. Oil company that I worked for as one of field test guys could cook high SAPS oil very cheaply. Low-SAPS oil was very expensive to develop and it is more expensive to make. We for example drove VW Golf V 1.9 TDI and 2.0TDI and Polo 1.2TDI for 400k km's before dissembling engines. Some tests included 20.000km with no turning off engine in open road environment, 20,000km in mixed and 20,000km in strictly urban driving. We would just recycle drivers constantly. Then stop/go traffic, very short turn off/turn on runs, extremely cold starts, or extremely hot starts etc, etc. After 400k km, engines and cars would be inspected for wear and tear. Then oil was sent to VW for approval.
Commercial type of oils like Rotella T6, Delvac, Delo etc. are not on par in sophistication with oils such as VW504.00/507.00 etc. Commercial use has different demands and oil companies in general have easier times to meet those demands since we are talking about different engines, different emission schedules, larger DPF/SCR systems that are easier to fit into big equipment vehicles. Those commercial vehicles usually have very large oil sumps, block heaters etc. Oil companies cannot develop expensive oil, especially on European market for such vehicles because it cuts into profit. Here oil is cheap, in Europe liter of VW504.00/507.00 is some $15-20. It hits profit if you are running let's say 200-300 trucks. That is why trucks are on different emission schedule and they could use higher SAPS oils, higher NOACK oils etc. since engines are more rudimentary.
As for MB229.5/1 I believe deposit wise that is most stringent spec. I think LL-04 is most stringent oxidation wise. That is why it is always good to buy oil that meets all those specs.
But to think how some UOA with some wear numbers will suddenly prove how some other non-approved oil is better is ridiculous. Manufacturers before sending engine on the market do everything possible to find weakness to that engine and then they constantly tests engines during sale to see are there any weak spots that are missed during initial testing. On top of that, data from service departments, failed engines etc. are always inspected and some practices when it comes to maintenance are updated (like for example FCA V6 diesel in JEEP and RAM). Those companies which neglect all that end up like Chrysler I guess.

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you for a fascinating insight into how things work.

You point out that a lot of testing goes in to developing engines. It seems as a layman that Mercedes developers dropped the ball with the om642. Things like oil cooler seals, oil dripping on swirl motor, oil vapour from the crankcase ventilation gumming up the inlet manifolds. Should these relatively simple problems be picked up and acted upon if testing is really so stringent?

I do a lot of stop start driving. Would you half the oil change interval recommended by Jeep? ie 12 months or 12000 miles. Should I go 6 months?

Many thanks.

Very informative post. Thanks edyvw. The table I made in another thread in the Euro section may be of help to the OP to find an oil that meets the 3 approvals you mentioned:

full-73644-25115-aceac3.png

Hi
Thank you for a fascinating insight into how things work.

You point out that a lot of testing goes in to developing engines. It seems as a layman that Mercedes developers dropped the ball with the om642. Things like oil cooler seals, oil dripping on swirl motor, oil vapour from the crankcase ventilation gumming up the inlet manifolds. Should these relatively simple problems be picked up and acted upon if testing is really so stringent?

I do a lot of stop start driving. Would you half the oil change interval recommended by Jeep? ie 12 months or 12000 miles. Should I go 6 months?

Many thanks.

Some issues develop over the time of exploitation. I know that MB had issues with oil coolers, and that is resolved later. Sometimes although companies put a lot of miles on the cars, you cannot replicate real life conditions over several years.
I personally do oil changes every 5,500 miles using Mobil1 5W30 ESP and Valvoline 5W40 MST (I found it on sale so still have it in stock). When it comes to oil evaporation, use oil with lowest NOACK. So far according to one web site Mobil1 5W30 ESP has lowest NOACK of available oils for modern diesels. Oils like Mobil1 Delvac or Shell Rotella T6 do not have nowhere near NOACK like Mobil1 5W30 ESP. That is the thing with oil approvals. Since you are doing a lot of city driving you want light oil like Mobil1 5W30 ESP, or some other MB229.51 0/5W30 oil. Do not go to 5W40 or heavy duty oils, especially 5W40 HDD oils. You want your oil to reach operating temperature as fast as possible.

VW504.00/507.00 is only 0//5W30 oils and among those oils has most stringent wear requirements. However, it allows SAPS to be very high, all the way to 1.5. Still, it is not possible to achieve DPF protection with such high SAPS, so companies never go above 0.8 in VW504.00/507.00. There is no doubt that low SAPS oils are using less additives, but generally they are because of very stringent requirements "cooked" with very sophisticated additives and high quality base oils. Oil company that I worked for as one of field test guys could cook high SAPS oil very cheaply. Low-SAPS oil was very expensive to develop and it is more expensive to make. We for example drove VW Golf V 1.9 TDI and 2.0TDI and Polo 1.2TDI for 400k km's before dissembling engines. Some tests included 20.000km with no turning off engine in open road environment, 20,000km in mixed and 20,000km in strictly urban driving. We would just recycle drivers constantly. Then stop/go traffic, very short turn off/turn on runs, extremely cold starts, or extremely hot starts etc, etc. After 400k km, engines and cars would be inspected for wear and tear. Then oil was sent to VW for approval.
Commercial type of oils like Rotella T6, Delvac, Delo etc. are not on par in sophistication with oils such as VW504.00/507.00 etc. Commercial use has different demands and oil companies in general have easier times to meet those demands since we are talking about different engines, different emission schedules, larger DPF/SCR systems that are easier to fit into big equipment vehicles. Those commercial vehicles usually have very large oil sumps, block heaters etc. Oil companies cannot develop expensive oil, especially on European market for such vehicles because it cuts into profit. Here oil is cheap, in Europe liter of VW504.00/507.00 is some $15-20. It hits profit if you are running let's say 200-300 trucks. That is why trucks are on different emission schedule and they could use higher SAPS oils, higher NOACK oils etc. since engines are more rudimentary.
As for MB229.5/1 I believe deposit wise that is most stringent spec. I think LL-04 is most stringent oxidation wise. That is why it is always good to buy oil that meets all those specs.
But to think how some UOA with some wear numbers will suddenly prove how some other non-approved oil is better is ridiculous. Manufacturers before sending engine on the market do everything possible to find weakness to that engine and then they constantly tests engines during sale to see are there any weak spots that are missed during initial testing. On top of that, data from service departments, failed engines etc. are always inspected and some practices when it comes to maintenance are updated (like for example FCA V6 diesel in JEEP and RAM). Those companies which neglect all that end up like Chrysler I guess.

Interesting, however I have a couple comments regarding some of your statements. I don't think that's true regarding the base oils in 507. Top Tec 4200 is a group III product. The base oil is not "high quality". It also has a rather high NOACK %. I would think there are also other brands that sell 507 oil composed of G III bases as well. In this example, the requirements for 507 must not be very stringent if it allows for this. It would also mean that it's ingredients are inferior to CJ-4 Delvac and Ravenol.

The new E6 HDEO Lubes being sold now, specifically Delvac LE 5w30 and Delvac ESP 5w30 are not cheap. LE is $35 and ESP is $45 a gallon. That is not "cheap", it is the same price as 507 oil, so I don't see your point about not being able to market "expensive low ash HD oils".

Lastly in 2016 FCA did finally change the spec on the Ecodiesel to an HDEO due to numerous oil related failures, however they did not change any of the emissions equipment. So it seems that the extra SAPS wasn't an issue.

VAG knows that the 502 oil they spec'd for the RS4 wasn't up to the task. It couldn't deal with the fuel dilution, nor could it protect the engine during the recommended OCI. What did VW/Audi do to solve this? NOTHING WHATSOEVER. They still have done nothing.

BMW has made similar mistakes. Either by using an oil that could not adequately protect the engine, and/or by having an extremely long OCI which further exacerbated their oil's shortcomings. Manufacturers are not always proactive about solving problems, especially if they happen outside the warranty window.

Some issues develop over the time of exploitation. I know that MB had issues with oil coolers, and that is resolved later. Sometimes although companies put a lot of miles on the cars, you cannot replicate real life conditions over several years.
I personally do oil changes every 5,500 miles using Mobil1 5W30 ESP and Valvoline 5W40 MST (I found it on sale so still have it in stock). When it comes to oil evaporation, use oil with lowest NOACK. So far according to one web site Mobil1 5W30 ESP has lowest NOACK of available oils for modern diesels. Oils like Mobil1 Delvac or Shell Rotella T6 do not have nowhere near NOACK like Mobil1 5W30 ESP. That is the thing with oil approvals. Since you are doing a lot of city driving you want light oil like Mobil1 5W30 ESP, or some other MB229.51 0/5W30 oil. Do not go to 5W40 or heavy duty oils, especially 5W40 HDD oils. You want your oil to reach operating temperature as fast as possible.

What is the NOACK of Delvac ESP 5w40, specifically the CJ-4 formula ? I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find it. Can you forward your resources?

Last edited:

Interesting, however I have a couple comments regarding some of your statements. I don't think that's true regarding the base oils in 507. Top Tec 4200 is a group III product. The base oil is not "high quality". It also has a rather high NOACK %. I would think there are also other brands that sell 507 oil composed of G III bases as well. In this example, the requirements for 507 must not be very stringent if it allows for this. It would also mean that it's ingredients are inferior to CJ-4 Delvac and Ravenol.

The new E6 HDEO Lubes being sold now, specifically Delvac LE 5w30 and Delvac ESP 5w30 are not cheap. LE is $35 and ESP is $45 a gallon. That is not "cheap", it is the same price as 507 oil, so I don't see your point about not being able to market "expensive low ash HD oils".

Lastly in 2016 FCA did finally change the spec on the Ecodiesel to an HDEO due to numerous oil related failures, however they did not change any of the emissions equipment. So it seems that the extra SAPS wasn't an issue.

VAG knows that the 502 oil they spec'd for the RS4 wasn't up to the task. It couldn't deal with the fuel dilution, nor could it protect the engine during the recommended OCI. What did VW/Audi do to solve this? NOTHING WHATSOEVER. They still have done nothing.

BMW has made similar mistakes. Either by using an oil that could not adequately protect the engine, and/or by having an extremely long OCI which further exacerbated their oil's shortcomings. Manufacturers are not always proactive about solving problems, especially if they happen outside the warranty window.

What is the NOACK of Delvac ESP 5w40, specifically the CJ-4 formula ? I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find it. Can you forward your resources?

Just because oil is made out of Group III base stock does not mean that base stock is in lower quality. Mobil1 5W30 ESP is prime example of that where NOACK is (supposedly though) 5.6%. It is final product that matters, not whether oil is using primarily GR III, IV or V. Each group has its own advantages, and they are usually mixed.
As for Delvac NOACK, I really cannot remember where I have seen their numbers, thought I remember precisely that T6 is 12.4%. Your reference how Delvac is $35 and expensive is not accurate in global terms. That is actually NOT expensive oil. Oil in the U.S. is cheap, including Delvac. Same oil in Europe is probably $20 more.
As for FCA, I stated long time ago here, when they decided to move to Shell Rotella that DPF will be long term issue. However, what is long term? That is FCA decision to make. Probably they calculated that DPF and other emission related components will last more then 120,000 miles. After that, marketing calculation is that it will not affect company. And it was not oil related issue. Heavier oil (remember, FCA also said C3 5W40 is acceptable, as well as ACEA A3/B3 B4) is used to hide engineering issue. In the end, I believe that major role in that decision as the fact that a). FCA has deal with Shell, and Shell does not have 5W40 C3 oil in the U.S., and b). availability of T6.
As for VW502.00, I am not sure any ACEA A3/B3 B4 oil was able to deal with fuel dilution issues in first generation FSI engines. If you are referring to the fact that people used T6 in those engines and other FSI engines such as EA113, that is because of weight, which was 14.2cst, not because somehow T6 is magical oil since it is HDD oil. Most VW502.00 5W40 oils are light W40 oils in low 13cst range. Why VW did not do anything? Again, marketing, what is damage from that? In the end we are talking about company that thought they can scam whole world with so called "clean" diesel.
Do not get me wrong, companies are in the business of making money, and they will calculate whether they will recall some engines, other components or not. Also oil companies are in the business of making money, and if they think they can make oil that meets whatever spec. with cheapest base oil, they will do it, including HDD oils.
However, there is no any incentive for VW, BMW, MB, whatever, to recommend more expensive oil for their consumers if cheaper oil will do the job. It is all about money, bang for a buck etc.

Last edited:

Just because oil is made out of Group III base stock does not mean that base stock is in lower quality. Mobil1 5W30 ESP is prime example of that where NOACK is (supposedly though) 5.6%. It is final product that matters, not whether oil is using primarily GR III, IV or V. Each group has its own advantages, and they are usually mixed.
As for Delvac NOACK, I really cannot remember where I have seen their numbers, thought I remember precisely that T6 is 12.4%. Your reference how Delvac is $35 and expensive is not accurate in global terms. That is actually NOT expensive oil. Oil in the U.S. is cheap, including Delvac. Same oil in Europe is probably $20 more.
As for FCA, I stated long time ago here, when they decided to move to Shell Rotella that DPF will be long term issue. However, what is long term? That is FCA decision to make. Probably they calculated that DPF and other emission related components will last more then 120,000 miles. After that, marketing calculation is that it will not affect company. And it was not oil related issue. Heavier oil (remember, FCA also said C3 5W40 is acceptable, as well as ACEA A3/B3 B4) is used to hide engineering issue. In the end, I believe that major role in that decision as the fact that a). FCA has deal with Shell, and Shell does not have 5W40 C3 oil in the U.S., and b). availability of T6.
As for VW502.00, I am not sure any ACEA A3/B3 B4 oil was able to deal with fuel dilution issues in first generation FSI engines. If you are referring to the fact that people used T6 in those engines and other FSI engines such as EA113, that is because of weight, which was 14.2cst, not because somehow T6 is magical oil since it is HDD oil. Most VW502.00 5W40 oils are light W40 oils in low 13cst range. Why VW did not do anything? Again, marketing, what is damage from that? In the end we are talking about company that thought they can scam whole world with so called "clean" diesel.
Do not get me wrong, companies are in the business of making money, and they will calculate whether they will recall some engines, other components or not. Also oil companies are in the business of making money, and if they think they can make oil that meets whatever spec. with cheapest base oil, they will do it, including HDD oils.
However, there is no any incentive for VW, BMW, MB, whatever, to recommend more expensive oil for their consumers if cheaper oil will do the job. It is all about money, bang for a buck etc.

Group III is in cheaper synthetics, has lower FP, Higher PP and higher NOACK. That's what some people would call "inferior". However, my comment had more to do with the VW 507 spec not being as stringent or sophisticated as you infer, since it allows a lower quality base to be used.

Yes ESP 5w30 is impressive @ 5.6%. So is the BMW twinpower turbo 5w30 A3/B4 LL01 @ 6.2%. OEM oils can be high quality, as it the twinpower. At least they used to make them that way..

When PQIA tested CJ-4 T6 it was 12.8%. It barely met the max NOACK of 13%. It is a primarily G III base oil, with a little splash of PAO. It was ran through a GC/IR test and determined it's constituents. Delvac ESP also was tested and came back as a high % of PAO. I think Chevron sponsored the tests and it was in one of their powerpoints I saw on here.

Someone also on here posted a list of mobil synthetic sample oil blends and there was a 5w40 with nearly the same properties as Delvac ESP 5w40, and it was 7% NOACK. The Ravenol NDT 5w40 is 8%, and it uses lighter base oils. I think the CJ-4 Delvac is somewhere between 7-8%, however I don't think anyone ever published test results. D1 and T6 are not even in the same league.

Anyone who was on the forums and knew about the RS4 oil issues was probably using Biosyn 5w40. That's what I was talking about, not T6.

And lastly, another member here in Canada said that E6 lubes like Delvac LE were actually significantly cheaper in the great white north. Isn't it the same in Europe, since there is more demand for E6 stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back