Reliable meat thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you need instaread or leave-in oven thermometer?

You should get a digital thermometer.

For the instaread, the thermopop by thermoworks is an excellent deal.

I checked it against 2 brand new calibrated thermapens and it is within 2degrees, but slightly slower to change temps.

Even if it's a tad over your budget, you need to think of it this way, you overcook 1 piece of meat, you've immediately blown that $9 extra.

I got a couple digital ones from Menards at about $4 each . They work great, very fast reading. Temp range is 40F to 450F. It defaults to Celsius but a button will change that on the fly to Fahrenheit.

On clearance now for $2.50 each!!!

469-0986_alt1.jpg

Model Number: NSDT05

If you search for a "candy thermometer" instead of "meat thermometer" you will get one that reads up to 212F, in fact probably way above that (400F, maybe).

Once you use the right search terms, you will have your choice of mechanical, instant read, electronic, etc and $10~20 is a generous budget.

Strange that your meat thermometer doesn't go above 150F, should be at least 165F

I think OP is saying his old school bimetal thermometer is broken.
I interpret it as saying even if he were to put it in boiling water the needle only moves to 150.

Either way, the accuracy is no good even if new.

Originally Posted By: paulri
We recently bought a cheapo version, that is made by Taylor, looks a lot like this one:

http://taylor-enviro.com/kitchen/thermometers/trutemp-meat-dial-thermometer.html

It doesn't seem to go above 150 F, so we want a newer one.

Is there one that we can get for $10-20 that works reliably?
You’re over-thinking it. Instant read is much easier unless you’re smoking huge pieces of meat or something. I have one like this that I’ve made bread and yogurt with, among other things. Same company. https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-9847N-Antimicrobial-Instant-Thermometer/dp/B00ALGBWH8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back