part store brake hardware stinks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone run into the same issue?

I normally get my pads from AZ or AAP. I get the "gold" ones that come with the metal hardware.

Normally i just slap on the new metal hardware and go. Never had an issue the last 10+ years and probably 30 brake jobs i've done. But lately i've noticed the metal hardware has really bad fitment. Most hardware is a "U" shape. I've found a of the U not being centered and one side two longer sidesmaking contact with the rotor, ok that was my fault. Never had that issue before. Then i found some cases where the middle of the "U" is making contact with the rotor, so the metal hardware was too thick and that makes contact. I had to sand/shave some down not to make noise.

Has quality just taken a bigger dive? Its metal clips, who really cares but if they are making contact with the rotor and noise... its a problem. I dont recall ever having these problems with i buy raybesto/wagner/hawks from rockauto. I use AZ/AAP mainly because my friends/family need them done TODAY so i dont really have a choice.

I clean the original OEM and reuse them. They fit right are better quality than replacements.

I've had the best luck with Centric pads and hardware. They are far better quality vs other pads and hardware sets of the same cost.

I had a big rant on drum brakes on my Jeep a few years back. Didn't matter which shop I brought it to or when I DIY'd, they just wouldn't work. Turns out all of the drum hardware kits except one have the wrong length auto adjuster cable.

Even the higher end brands - like Centric - had the wrong cable

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I've had the best luck with Centric pads and hardware. They are far better quality vs other pads and hardware sets of the same cost.

Centric is manufactured in North America (Canada). Many of these other low-cost brands are made in Asia.

Originally Posted By: user52165
I clean the original OEM and reuse them. They fit right are better quality than replacements.
as long as the spring's are not stretched or the whole thing fell out and rolled around inside the drum.

I have only purchased 1 set of hardware in close to 40 years ( we do not live in the rust belt ) . That was a case where I had over streched a spring on drum brakes and bought a kit for the 1 spring .

At a latter date , I had a part that had come off and was rolling around inside the drum . Luckily I had that part in the kit I had previously purchased ( at O'Reilly Auto Parts , I think ) .

In the rust belt many times the hardware and backing plates are rusted or rotten. I use OE if possible, nothing from AA, AZ, etc, its all low end stuff that rust quickly.
For some vehicles the dealer carries complete backing plates with everything mounted making it a simple bolt on, others can be a PITA.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Me too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
In the rust belt many times the hardware and backing plates are rusted or rotten.

Haha ! So right. I see videos of people in California that show how to do a brake job on a certain model and that hardware is still shiny silver, their rotors fall off on their own when the caliper bracket is removed, and so on. Good luck with that around here ! I've seen that hardware and the bracket and they're almost rust-welded (just made that up, I think) together.

The larger the chain, the more it is worth to them to find the very lowest cost supplier.

And don't think "they are passing that savings on to the customer". The prices at those chains is often about 90% of the dealer list price. A quick check of the price for an oil pan at AZ shows them about 15% over the dealer price for an aftermarket part.

Your biggest problem is where you shop. AZ and AAP have more overpriced junk than anyone out there.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
In the rust belt many times the hardware and backing plates are rusted or rotten.

Haha ! So right. I see videos of people in California that show how to do a brake job on a certain model and that hardware is still shiny silver, their rotors fall off on their own when the caliper bracket is removed, and so on. Good luck with that around here ! I've seen that hardware and the bracket and they're almost rust-welded (just made that up, I think) together.

Oh they rust weld that's for sure! late 90's and early 2000's F150 and Expeditions had a habit of rotting the rotors to the front hubs so badly the only way to remove them was to cut through them almost to the hub then crack them with an air chisel to get them off.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Centric is manufactured in North America (Canada). Many of these other low-cost brands are made in Asia.

Centric pads are made in China or Thailand now. I never had luck with them. I'd rather install Indian-made Duralast or BrakeBest than Centric.

I've had OK luck with Carlson hardware - but for some reason Raybestos pad hardware for Japanese cars come from Japan.

Who knows who makes the hardware in most pad kits - FWIW, the ones Bosch supplied in a Perfect Stop box with their pads worked fine for a friend's car.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

Oh they rust weld that's for sure! late 90's and early 2000's F150 and Expeditions had a habit of rotting the rotors to the front hubs so badly the only way to remove them was to cut through them almost to the hub then crack them with an air chisel to get them off.

A good dose of anti seize to the rotor/hub mating area will go a long way helping this common problem. Do it at first tire rotation.

That's true and I have used it on the hubs for over 40 yrs but I don't see them new, when I see them they can be any age. I am just the fixer not the owner.

The other thing is its a hard sell to charge someone to remove their rotors at 5-10K just to prevent them from rusting in the future. If this thing ever develops pulsation after doing that its going to be my fault even if its 4 yrs down the road.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

I didn't know that. Good to know. Also, Akebono is made in USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back