Variable speed on MTD self-propel mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find more than a few tidbits of info on this anywhere. You guys are smart, so maybe this will be the one thread on the entire internet with the answer.

I'm looking at the variable speed self-propelled MTD and rebranded mowers that can have a slow walking speed. I know people who like to cut grass with a self-propel mower, but for various reasons they can't keep up with typical single-speed ones.

How variable is the variable speed self-propelled on MTD (and its rebrands like Troy Bilt) walk-behind push mowers? Lots of MTD and its rebrands have variable speed with one or two trigger levers, and supposedly the more or less you pull on the trigger is how fast the drive wheels move. Here's one with one trigger lever: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-TB230...Engine/50328175

Troy-Bilt TB230. Front-wheel-drive. "Variable speed front wheel drive allows you to mow at your own pace." Does that mean the speed is infinitely variable? On some of the MTD brands with variable speeds, I've seen comments about a "variable" model having four speeds. And then some comments talk about adjusting those four speeds somewhat. Confusing. The PDFs of the user manuals don't help.

How slow can the TB230 go?

There are many mowers out there where the speed is dictated by how hard you pull the lever or how hard you push on the mower control bar. Take a look at the Toro "Personal Pace" mower which has a push bar. I prefer it to my 15 year old Sears mover which has the hand lever which can make your hand sore over time. Most of these mowers have a very simple mechanism which involves two pulleys. One pulley is on the output shaft of the engine and one pulley is mounted on a base which can move and is attached to a cable which runs to either the push bar or hand control. A belt runs between them. When the control pulls on the cable the 2nd pulley moves away from the engine, it tightens the belt between the two pulleys. Instead of slipping the belt tightens up on the pulley and grabs, causing the mower to move forward. You can get a better idea by watching a You Tube video on how to replace a belt on a self propelled lawn mower.

Last edited:
I'm curious too and I can't verify this however, when Toro & Arens had both brought their variable speed walk behind mowers to the market, I thought it was mentioned that there was a top speed of ~4 mph in their advertisements. The mowers would only go as fast as the person pushing it up to that 4 mph, maybe 5 mph at its fastest. Although, 5 mph is kinda fast for walking with a mower.

Second the vote for the Toro Personal Pace. As you push down on the sliding handle the mower's drive speed increases until the mower begins to outrun you. At that point the handle begins to slide back up and the mower slows down until it just matches your walking pace. It will go as slow as you need to go up to faster than I can go. Another unadvertised benefit of the sliding handle control is that it also allows the self propel assistance to be used during back and forth trimming type mowing. Really cuts the work in half on the back and forth stuff.

Bought my Personal Pace at Home Depot 8 years ago and the only problem i've had is having to replace the drive wheels due to worn out gears. And oh, since this is BITOG: SuperTech 15W40 changed each spring and July along with a new air filter and blade sharpening once per year.

Although expensive, snapper makes a variable speed self propelled mower that will go very slow. My folks had one as they got older, even mom could run it. Uses a friction wheel and a very stout drive system, no plastic gears to strip.

Rod

My 86 year old MIL has been using a Toro for the past 10+ years, they are great.

I have a 2005 Toro Personal Pace mower.

It is based on a slipping belt system. The harder you push on the handle, the tighter the belt gets and more power is fed to the rear wheels.

Works great. You can go any practical speed you would like. Easily pushed with one hand. No back strain.

Only annual drive maintenance requirements:
- Clean out around the belt (need to remove a plastic panel)
- Grease rear wheels

Just replaced the drive and blade spin stop belts after 13 years.

NOTE - This is a Toro built mower with a cast alloy deck. The cheaper Toro mowers today are made by MTD. Replacement cost for this mower is $649 for a Model 20383 today.

I do like my Snapper mower, but it's heavy and long if you have to do lots of maneuvering. Mine is a steel decked commercial version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back