Opinions on Walmart Super Tech oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Leo99
I use SuperTech in my Rav4.

Well with only 333K miles that isn't going to prove a thing to someone that doesn't want to listen!

ST is my go to oil when I'm out of sale oil. Cant wait to use the 0w20 full synthetic since its under $16. Great oil for the money!

Been using ST from conventional to full syn for almost 16 years in my cars. Never had a engine problem

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Well with only 333K miles that isn't going to prove a thing to someone that doesn't want to listen!

Full disclosure, The first 230k miles it went to a quick lube place near my wife's work. Then it got Maxlife HM red bottle until it hit 300k. Then, I switched to mostly ST. Sometimes Walmart doesn't have it in stock so I buy whatever HM dino is cheapest. It has 358k miles on it now.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Full disclosure, The first 230k miles it went to a quick lube place near my wife's work. Then it got Maxlife HM red bottle until it hit 300k. Then, I switched to mostly ST. Sometimes Walmart doesn't have it in stock so I buy whatever HM dino is cheapest. It has 358k miles on it now.

LOL but what I hear you saying all that mileage on cheap oil even oil house oil and el cheapo filters were ole 93 when you need him?

I started tp use it in my Mazda recently ; I did my 2nd oil change on it today; I haven't noticed any change to its engine work so ill stick with it; $16 in the area I live for the synthetic;
I wouldn't go over 5K on it though

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Being honest with you, atleast in my parts. When im in the oil isle and watching what others are buying -- I would say 50% of the time there buying Super Tech oil compared to everything else.

You watch other people in the oil aisle???
Is that a thing???

In my parts of Pa. there is. They have oil all on one side of an isle and oil filters, air filters, fuel system cleaners, Marvel Mystery, windshield washer fluid, etc.. on the other side of the isle. So yes -- it is such a thing.

Running ST 5w20 Synthetic in my Genesis Coupe now. Going to send off a UOA sample when I get to a similar mileage compared to standard Mobil 1 to see how it held up. Also didn't realize Mobil had some great rebates going on right now - gotta pick up a 5qt jug soon.

If you are consdering supertex just on price. Have a look at penzoil and mobil 1. That have $10-12 rebates on their synthetic oils all the time. With walmart offering them at 22 to 25/jug you can get these oils,cheaper than st.

Super Tech and Harvest King are basic oils that "meet API specifications".

I probably wouldn't do severe service with them,
but they should be fine for nearly any standard oil change.

I've been using SuperTech oils since they were first called Tech 2000. Of course I use other brands as well but, have had wonderful success with ST.

After reading reviews here I've started using ST. Once I burn through whatever is in my stash (of cheaply bought "name brand") I'll probably go to ST only in my vehicles. Just easier to find, and usually not a bad price (sure I'll stock up when I find something cheaper, but I don't have space to store lots of oil either).

Won't use ST oil filters though, I tried one and did not like the o-ring it used. I plan on OEM going forward. YMMV.

Now that Walmart stopped carrying Maxlife ATF I'm not sure if I'll use their ATF or not. Haven't given much thought to that yet, as I still have a couple gallons left.

I like it. I like the 15w-40 for my diesel because it is still CJ4 spec. Also the ST HM 10w-40 is leaking less from my jeep's rear main than the Valvoline maxlife 10w-40 was.

Originally Posted By: 007
Anybody use Walmart Super Tech Oil? I was told by an old time mechanic that as long as its meets the same specs as other brands of oil it is just as good but for a lot less.

I’m sure it’s ok but I’d rather support companies than mean more in the grand scheme … for example as good as Amsoil is ~ they buy products from the big boys
The clearance aisle at Walmart often has better deals anyway …

I have used Super Tech before with no issue that I could tell , but I must be honest as I am a sucker for Marketing and I am currently using 10W-30 High Mileage full synthetic in both cars yet Super Tech does not have a full synthetic 10W-30 HM just the blend . I know it probably does not make any difference, but I have bought into the hype that synthetic is better for high temps which probably means high performance vehicles which my cars are neither.

I don't use it but I will as soon as a certain intellectual oil decides to raise its price. I actually like that people bring up the often mentioned topic of ST being good. Since it changes distributors from time to time and has different distributors throughout the country, it's not unlikely that the quality could change.

Last edited:
I must admit i have used some ST Fluids. The fact that Citgo could be making some of it turns me off. If its Amalie or WPP thats fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back