EcoGard X1A Cut Open 6000Km glue failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

This was in service over the winter months and seen a bunch of short trips. Vehicle it came off from was a 2002 grand caravan. This is the first filter I cut open and discovered problems that would allow unfiltered oil to pass through. Once I cut the can open I reach in to pull the media out and off comes the endcaps. The large crack in the glue came from the base end of the canister. I always cut mine from the dome. So it was not damaged by me during the cut. I will not use these filters again.
2hojzwo.jpg

2lt40m.jpg

25qygck.jpg

4rrf60.jpg

jj7c3t.jpg

vxyfic.jpg

909dgh.jpg

27zyfqv.jpg

212g7xj.jpg

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It fractured right in line with the pleat clamp. Was the filter installed way to tight?

I remember installing it just right. I was able to remove it with my bare hands.

The whole potting media in glue to make the seal is a pretty primitive process. I don't blame you for not wanting to use them again. I have the same feelings about Fram TG, EG, Baldwin, and a couple others. Based on this I wouldn't use the Eco's either.

What is that, missing glue on one picture? Even worse than oil bypassing is loose glue IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back