W = Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I made an account on this website was to finally learn about motor oil; the importance of regular oil changes, using the correct oil, and other things I could learn from you all about oil.

So, I have to confess that I always thought the "W" stood for weight (i.e. 0W20). But, since I have been a member on BITOG, I have began reading other online articles on motor oil, too, and that's how I just figured out the "W" stands for Winter. In fact thinking back all those years, I have heard people refer to oil as 10 weight 40 (10W40) etc.

Anyways, I learned more about oil in the past week or so, than I have in decades. I am sure this has already been talked about a million times, but I couldn't find anything, probably me not searching properly. Thank you.

And so continues your journey into better knowledge about how to care for your car.

32.gif
BTW, how many miles on your Crosstrek, and how do you like it? My dad has a 2014 model that I've driven a bit.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
And so continues your journey into better knowledge about how to care for your car.

32.gif
BTW, how many miles on your Crosstrek, and how do you like it? My dad has a 2014 model that I've driven a bit.

I have about 16,000 miles on it. The first four oil changes are "free" through Subaru (6K intervals). After 36,000 miles I will do my own oil changes, this will be a new experience for me, as I have always taken my cars to a dealership or Walmart Auto Service Dept. I love my Crosstrek. I really don't want anyone touching her, but I will use the Subaru service until warranty is done. It is already my favorite car I have ever owned.

Since you will be doing more of your own work in the near future, keep an eye on the service schedule. Here's a few things to be aware of, which may or may not affect your model.

- Rear differential fluid may be due around 30k.

- I think the CVT fluid is one of those "lifetime" fluids, but I'll be sampling my dad's CVT for analysis as he just turned over 30k.

- We only put 5k to 7k a year on ours, so we are considering 1-year oil change intervals. Analysis for that coming soon so keep an eye on the UOA forum.

- Unless Subaru changed things, the OEM tires may be about done by 30k depending on your driving style and conditions. OEM tire specs were not the best as a cost saving measure, at least on the 2014. We're looking into replacement options right now.

- Not sure if the 2017 has LED brake lights, but our 2014 with incandescents burns out about one brake light every year, and I've seen tons of Crosstreks around here with one or both brake lights out.

- Careful use of manual mode with the CVT on the highway and a steady foot can net fuel economy several MPG higher than the EPA estimate. According to the trip computer back when I borrowed it more often, I routinely could get 35 highway and once got it up to 39.

- They are very sturdy in a crash. A car pulled out on my dad and I and we sorta t-boned them at about 20 mph. Neither of us felt a thing besides the shock that the crash happened at all. Still cost $5k to repair, so thankfully insurance ruled in our favor.

you want another secret?
If you need a weight that doesn't exist, just mix them up.
For example 50/50 mix of 5W20 and 10W30 will get you 7.5Wx25 ... lol
j/k it doesn't work that way!

Originally Posted By: Warstud
S = Summer
A = Autumn
E = Eastern

I thought it was Super Animal Energy?

S = Summer
A = Autumn
E = Eastern

Ummmm.... Society of Automotive Engineers

Monograde 30. It's all I used in South Texas the first 2 decades I changed oil, plus maybe a can of STP in summer. My dad only ran SAE 30 as long as we lived there and I carried on after inheriting his 1980 Chevy 250 straight six three on a tree half ton pickup truck.

Warranty education. No, you do not need to get the dealer to do all your work in order to keep warranty intact. You could begin doing it your once the freebies are up. Use the required lubes and keep the receipts and time done.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
S = Summer
A = Autumn
E = Eastern

Your facetiameter is broken.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: NH73
Warranty education. No, you do not need to get the dealer to do all your work in order to keep warranty intact. You could begin doing it your once the freebies are up. Use the required lubes and keep the receipts and time done.

Thank you, this is very good to know.

And, thanks to others here, for all the other information given. I don't know how to do the multiple quotes in one post, otherwise I would thank you all individually.

Does a Crosstrek have the “Ring Of Fire” wrapping around the oil filter like other Subies? If so, you may want to invest in some Kevlar welding sleeves. If you drain the oil warm, the exhaust that wraps around the oil filter will be like 500 degrees.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Does a Crosstrek have the “Ring Of Fire” wrapping around the oil filter like other Subies? If so, you may want to invest in some Kevlar welding sleeves. If you drain the oil warm, the exhaust that wraps around the oil filter will be like 500 degrees.

Nope! They wised up and filter is now up on top of the engine with a little catch tray around it. Pretty convenient but the filters are tiny and you can't prime them before installing.

Nope! They wised up and filter is now up on top of the engine with a little catch tray around it. Pretty convenient but the filters are tiny and you can't prime them before installing.

That's because you don't need to "prime" them.

I have decided I will use NAPA full synthetic 5W30 when the time comes for me to do my own oil changes. It's on sale right now for $2.99 a quart. So, I am stocking up for the future. I will get Subaru oil filters online.

I will be able to do a full synthetic oil change for about $20, compared to $65 at the dealership.

Love this site. Love my Subaru.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Linctex
S = Summer
A = Autumn
E = Eastern

Your facetiameter is broken.
crackmeup2.gif

You're both sadly mistaken, it's Suck An Egg!

It's too bad they made the cup around the filter smaller in my daughter's Impreza than the one in my FXT, hers is too narrow for me to use the short but wide Tokyo Roki WRX filters that I bought in quantity at a really good per-filter price on Amazon. I just bought a box of the blue cans for her car at almost 2X the per filter cost! I can't actually buy the Tokyo Rokis that cheap anymore, but I have a multiyear supply on hand.
I have added a modest amount of oil to the filters before installing without issue, but stopped doing that after a poster here noted that you are effectively adding oil past the filter by priming...maybe that's not too smart if you have picked up a little grit on the jug's spout or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back