1996 BMW 328i, 391k mi | M1 10W40 HM, 6836 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says photo is no longer available.

You can upload images directly to BITOG using the "Upload Inline Image(s)" button above the text box.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
Says photo is no longer available.

You can upload images directly to BITOG using the "Upload Inline Image(s)" button above the text box.

Thanks - hopefully its visible now

Last edited:
A quart every 2300 miles isn't consumption that I'd worry about. Very impressive engine durability. Drive on.

Very nice. I like the way you just drive the car and check every once in a while, makes sense to me.

Since when did M1 HM change to a magnesium package? I thought it had long been high calcium looks like it hasn't been for years looking at your post.

Awesome report for a BMW. Most show higher wear numbers compared to their Japanese counterparts. M1 HM is good stuff.

Real BMW designed before the last wave of taylorism hit the management doctrine worldwide.

Nice low wear metals with iron at 8 ppm in 6800 miles. This iron could double and I still wouldn't be worried.

That zinc is solid at 955 ppm, most ILSAC oils show 100 or 200 ppm less. I though the old M1 HM had elevated zinc, but about a year ago they dropped it to the regular ILSAC level. Is this an older jug of oil ? Either way great zinc levels and a good report all around.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the oil consumption at this point. A small amount of that can be attributed to the oil pan gasket, which has a slight leak but really isn't making it to the ground. I keep putting it off, thinking this engine can't go on too much further, but so far I've been proven wrong.

The oil used in this sample was likely purchased in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2017. It could have been prior to that, since I tend to purchase in bulk during promotions, but certainly not longer than one year ago.

What's interesting to me about this sample is the good/low silicon level. I have a "cold air" intake setup and haven't cleaned/oiled the cone filter in over 40k miles. It visibly looks horribly dirty, but I guess still doing its job well.

All air filters increase in dirt capturing efficiency with use. Of course you get a proportional increase in restriction though.

Wear numbers look nice and low for the mileage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back