TIME ON UNIT 14380 MI
TIME ON OIL 4380 MI
OIL BRAND Havoline Pro DS

OIL GRADE 5W20

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe) 12
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) 52
Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al) 8
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si) 9
Sodium (Na) 5
Potassium (K) Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 10
Calcium (Ca) 1952
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 585
Zinc (Zn) 713
Molybdenum (Mo) 58
Boron (B) Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 7.7
Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 1.8

Comment : Engine wear levels appear satisfactory for first sample.
Silicon level (dirt/sealant material) satisfactory. Water
content acceptable. Viscosity within specified operating
range. Action: As oil and filter(s) already changed,
resample at next recommended interval to monitor and
establish wear trend.

This is the Havoline from the oriellys clearance. As been discussed in a few other threads, does not appear to be a extended use synthetic.

I don't like seeing copper that high or Aluminum. But the car is still wearing in. The thing that is still a real question in my mind is with that few of miles on the oil the TBN is only 1.8?

Saul,

Thanks for posting. How are you liking the Ioniq?

Copper is the only concerning number here. But the car probably isn't broken in until 20K.

With this being a hybrid, how many of the 4,380 miles were on the engine vs the electric drive?

And, as previously mentioned, the 1.8 TBN with under 5k miles is disconcerting.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I don't like seeing copper that high or Aluminum. But the car is still wearing in. The thing that is still a real question in my mind is with that few of miles on the oil the TBN is only 1.8?

This specific issue with this oil has been mentioned on this forum before, which is why I only ran it as long as I did.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Saul,

Thanks for posting. How are you liking the Ioniq?

Copper is the only concerning number here. But the car probably isn't broken in until 20K.

My wife is very happy with it. It is a nice car.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
With this being a hybrid, how many of the 4,380 miles were on the engine vs the electric drive?

And, as previously mentioned, the 1.8 TBN with under 5k miles is disconcerting.

Not too sure, but it is a factor I considered as well. After reading about the inferior oil that this Pro DS, I decided on 4k anyways.

I have another sample of this I am mailing off tomorrow with nearly 5000 miles on it, there was a trip from NM to TN so it’s 90%highway. Nonetheless, I have 4 more jugs of this havoline in my stash and did not put it back in...

Last edited:
It may or may not be good, hard to say. Generally, the old rule was when TBN reaches 1/3 of its initial reading, then its done. Most oil has I believe most oil has a starting TBN in the range of 6-8, so its borderline.

I ran castrol magnatec syntetic 5w30 to 9,500 miles in my cobalt and the TBN was at 1.8
It only costs $17.88 at walmart, something to consider for a cheap-ish oil.

Originally Posted By: Merovingian
Originally Posted By: Saul

TIME ON UNIT 14380 MI
TIME ON OIL 4380 MI

What kind of engine does this car have?
What fuel do you use?

1.6L I4 hybrid
86/87

There is an opinion, if you fill in 92/93 gasoline, then the liquefying of engine oil is less - this fuel is cleaner to burn.

Well premium fuel does burn cleaner, that is more fact than opinion. What is it in relation to this oil analysis?
The highest premium is 91 here. I am at 4300' above sea level.

I was thinking of getting an analysis on my first OCI with this oil. I couldn't find other UOAs of it. It seems poor at extended OCIs from other reports? Thanks

There is an opinion, if you fill in 92/93 gasoline, then the liquefying of engine oil is less - this fuel is cleaner to burn.

Well premium fuel does burn cleaner, that is more fact than opinion. What is it in relation to this oil analysis?

That is not entirely true. Premium fuel will not completely combust in engines that are not engineered for premium fuel, which would result in more C02 emissions. Most vehicles that do run on premium fuel, have computers step down the timing to prevent knocking that would normally result in the same incomplete combustion (knocking also causes incomplete combustion, resulting in more C02 emissions). So, really, the only time premium is going to be any cleaner is if you have a vehicle that requires premium fuel and knocks with lower fuel grades: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/premium-gas-in-regular-fuel-cars-not-cleaner-expert-says-1.1187041

One of my vehicles requires 91, one can run off 87 but has power benefits running 91, and one calls for 87. I have found that running anything above 87 on the latter results in zero benefits, but I run 92 (91 is hard to find) in the other two. I am at sea level. Running 91 at 4300' will most likely result in some incomplete combustion unless you have a turbo or supercharger to compensate for lower amounts of oxygen in the air.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping my 10k run on this oil blended with Lubegard turns out well. It is in an engine that's easy on oil but I'd hate to experience elevated aluminum or copper movement if that is consistent with this oil. Any other reports with Havoline Pro DS?

Changing soon and eventually will send out for UOA. I still have 2 other jugs of this stuff. If it looks bad back to M1 AFE I guess.

Last edited:
I just bought an Ioniq too and so far so good. The copper may be from a heat exchanger somewhere. Same issue on my Pentastar so it is just normal for the vehicle even at high miles.

Any reason you deviated from the 0W-20 called out in the manual? I'm thinking of using a steady diet of SuperTech Synthetic 0W-20 on mine. It is 5Qt, Dexos Gen II and I don't have to monkey with rebates to get a reliable low price. Hyundai calls out a 7500 mile interval so I'm not concerned with pushing OCIs.

Probably because he got the ProDS on closeout for $7.17 per 5 qt jug like I did.

0w20 wasn't available, but 5w20 was.

What kind of MPGs are you getting with your Ioniq?

I have some of that Havoline PDS synthetic from when AA cleared it out a few year ago. It does look weak for a full synthetic. I'm thinking of mixing mine with Havoline dino 5w30 to thicken it up a bit....I doubt the dino will
affect it's (synthetic) extended drain capability since it doesn't seem to have any (extended drain capability)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back