By 2030, 95% of people won’t own a private car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Wurlitzer
Originally Posted By: grampi
Here's my context. I'm 20 miles outside of Asheville, a city that's getting too big for its britches. Traffic is a huge problem. The idea of having less cars on the road through means of a respectable, updated public transit system, much like what I experienced in Austria (which is not even one of the most advanced European countries), is extremely appealing and also a better solution long term than just adding another highway lane which will alleviate the problem for maybe 10 more years. I don't imagine Asheville is the only growing city in America with this problem. Yeah, all this would cost money but money is not something that America is short on, being the richest nation on earth. Of course this brings up the subject of who gets taxed, how much, and where it goes, but that's a different discussion. My point still stands though.

Richest nation on earth? You do realize our government is $20+ trillion in debt, right?

Once again,

"Of course this brings up the subject of who gets taxed, how much, and where it goes, but that's a different discussion."

You do realize that public transportation is also subsidized by the government right? I guess depending on the transit agency, anywhere from 1/3 to 1/4 of the fare covers the actual costs of the system. So those $2-$3 fares are more like $8-$10 in actual costs per ride. They get that from levies from individual towns and additional state taxes and city taxes. That just covers existing systems, probably a lot more if you want to start up a system. The math and the political will just isn't there. They have high speed trains in other countries too, this country is nowhere close.
Yes I realize that, you say that as if someone wouldn't. I will repeat this for the third time now: "Of course this brings up the subject of who gets taxed, how much, and where it goes, but that's a different discussion."

Point being, America has the resources.

Yes I realize that, you say that as if someone wouldn't. I will repeat this for the third time now: "Of course this brings up the subject of who gets taxed, how much, and where it goes, but that's a different discussion."

Doesn't matter if you have the resources if you don't have the will. You could ban guns, you could have universal healthcare, eliminate drugs, poverty, you could have high speed public transit. But there's no will/desire, it doesn't get done. The US sent a man to the moon decades ago. Now we can't even put a man into space since the space shuttle retired. We have to hitch a ride with the Russians.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Be careful in making this comparison.
Europeans pay sharply higher personal income taxes than we do here, much higher fuel taxes and an extortionate national sales tax commonly called VAT.
WRT to the notion that infrastructure improvements benefit us all and need not be funded out of fuel taxes alone, we're on the same page.

Their taxes are higher but so is their income, generally speaking.

Their disposable incomes are lower, universally speaking.

Since you're wanting higher taxes take the lead and start paying higher taxes right now.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Jimmy Carter said during the 1976 Presidential Campaign that we would be completely out of oil by 2011.
Now it's 2018, and there are more proven reserves than there was back then.
Alarmists always have an agenda, and furthermore, they're always wrong.

Alarmists' agenda is always to introduce more taxes and controls on free enterprise.

Cue Al Gore and "carbon credits" for the "global warming" farce that has been proven a lie through manipulated data- the only people that suffer are the rank and file.

For heavens sake do not meantion this mans name on here! I got banned a few yrs ago because of him. True story.

Quote:
Widely cited Stanford University economist Tony Seba recently predicted that within two decades, “the internal combustion engine car industry will have been long decimated.” Hakariya, the man who stands with both feet in that industry, disagrees.
Seba also said that by 2030, 95% of people won’t own a private car, killing off the auto industry. Since my sobering trip to Chiba, I am more and more convinced that these and the many other predictions of the imminent demise of the auto industry are less based on hard facts, and are more a reflection of the legalization of marijuana, or a byproduct of the opiate crisis.

Seba has obviously been smoking too much wacky-tobacky in the upper echelon's of his white ivory academic tower. Clearly he has lost touch with reality.

BTW, shouldn't we all be very cold now according to similar 70's predictions?

In the world or major US cities, probably because of urbanization.

Suburb will still have cars, but probably 1 per family and then quick and easy rental on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back