Rental Car Scams

In response to the recent posting about windshield damage, I decided to share some personal experience.

First, after renting 50-60 cars over a one year period, I had three scam attempts by Enterprise out of 5 Enterprise rentals, and zero scam attempts from any other company. The most egregious Enterprise scam was a low tire pressure warning coming on as I drove out the lot. I backed back into the lot and told them of the issue, their response was that they did not have a tire pressure gauge, and to drive the car to Les Schwab, as they had no other cars at this location, I had no other choice. Les Schwab said the tire had a separation, so back to Enterprise I went, only to be accused of damaging their tire, and being told they would bill the tire to my credit card. After a heated debate the manager backed down and said he would not bill it to me, but he did anyway. My credit card company took care of the charges, and I've never rented from Enterprise again.

Back in the early days of this century, I was the wholesale parts manager of Huling brothers in Seattle, Huling sold Chrysler and GM, and owned the Thrifty Car rental location at SEATAC, as well as some other locations. The scams perpetrated on Thrifty customers were nothing short of fraudulent.If someone was unlucky enough to damage a Thrifty rental, the estimates were prepared with genuine parts, and labor at the dealerships. After the victims and or their insurance companies forked over the money, the repairs were actually done by cut rate no name body shops using aftermarket parts sourced by the dealerships,and rebuilt bumper covers and so forth. Ultimately these poorly repaired cars were sold on the Huling brothers car lots as certified used cars to unsuspecting buyers, often with clean Carfax reports.

Beware of Alamo and National also. Since Enterprise owns those companies and may try to pull the same scam. My brother travels a lot and uses Hertz. He's been happy with them overall.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Beware of Alamo and National also. Since Enterprise owns those companies and may try to pull the same scam. My brother travels a lot and uses Hertz. He's been happy with them overall.

I use Hertz for the most part, and have never had an issue.

I had a issue with Enterprise regarding an assembly failure of a body panel. The attaching clips had broken and Enterprise said I damaged it. Even showing the manager what had happened did not change her mind. Since I used a credit card with benefits the loss was paid except for diminished value which was $160. The total bill was around $800.

In talking to my insurance agent they were very much aware of Enterprise running this scam. National and Alamo are also part of the group.

A lot of people do not realize that not only do you pay for the damage itself but for the diminished value loss and the loss of revenue while the vehicle is out of service. Taking a video of the walkaround was recommended by my agent and that sounds like good advice.

Never again will I deal with Enterprise group.

Lots of auto rental scams out there depending who is running the one your using. First thing I do is take my cellphone and take a bunch of photos of the car. Always put every scratch and dent etc. on your rental agreement no matter how minor.

I rented a car only once, from Hertz in San Jose. While parked in a motel parking lot, the car was hit by another motel customer in a van. Only because my baby niece and I were inside the parked car and saw him, the van driver stopped and provided his id, insurance info, etc. To make an excruciatingly long story short, Hertz tried to charge me for the repair and loss-of-use after the culprit's insurance had paid. That is, they double billed.

Last edited:
It's very important to pay for things like rental cars and anything else where problems might come up with a Visa or MasterCard, preferably credit over debit. Not just for the insurance many provide, but If you tell them a charge is false or not authorized, they will generally reverse it. If one of these rental car companies tries to send you to collections for a false charge, fight it, sue them, or make them take you to court - they will probably lose. Small claims court isn't very hard or expensive.

It's also the best way to pay for any car related service, as there are OH SO MANY scams and general bad service in the auto industry.

I definitely always take pictures of the car before I leave and a pic of the gauge cluster showing any warning lights, mileage, and gas level.

When I was on my honeymoon I rented a car through "Sav-Mor", the only operation in Vegas who'd rent to someone under 25. I got a camaro and paid ~$700 for the week including all the surcharges.

That said, they took a carbon of my credit card and made me sign a "blank check" in case there were damages. I couldn't not do it, as I wouldn't get a car. Everything worked out in the end but it was shady AF.

My rental contract also mentioned I couldn't leave the state. I had them fax a letter on their letterhead to my motel reading that I could go to California too.

PS they didn't give me the remote fob with the car so the only way to keep the alarm from going off was to unlock the door and jump in and start the ignition within ~7 seconds. The doors were monstrously long and a hassle to operate in parking lots without dinging everything in sight, hurrying to get that key in the ignition. I was not briefed on this alarm situation at pick-up.

I have never had an issue across any of them including enterprise. If enterprise did my friend is an exec there anyway for fleets and would fix it.

So far I have had no scams run through Enterprise, Ive used them probably 15 times and I send customers to our loca one with no issues. I have gotten a little [censored] when I reserved a minivan about 3 months in advance, showed up that morning after confirming my reservation the night before, and then not having a mini van there. They tried pushing 2 smaller SUVs on me, and finally an Escalade, but that didnt work for me. Had to drive about 15 minutes to another location to grab it, which was a little frustrating when you tried to plan it out.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
... If one of these rental car companies tries to send you to collections for a false charge, fight it, sue them, or make them take you to court - they will probably lose. Small claims court isn't very hard or expensive. ...
I wonder how that would've worked out in the incident I described above, considering the accident was in California, I lived in North Carolina, the driver at fault lived in Oregon, and my brother who actually ordered the car and my then-almost-2-year-old niece who was in the car lived in Kentucky.

Last edited:
I also had a incident with Budget a couple of years ago. We rented a car for a few weeks and the day before flying out overseas I cleaned up the interior as I always do. Unfortunately it was raining the next day and we left dirt marks on the mats. Budget charged me $45 for cleaning.

My impression is that all cars get cleaned when they are returned and since the dirt marks were minor I figured they would understand. I was wrong.

Also, rental companies are very particular about filling up before returning. If you fill up and then drive 30 miles to the airport, you might get tagged for gas charges.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: OilFilters
... If one of these rental car companies tries to send you to collections for a false charge, fight it, sue them, or make them take you to court - they will probably lose. Small claims court isn't very hard or expensive. ...
I wonder how that would've worked out in the incident I described above, considering the accident was in California, I lived in North Carolina, the driver at fault lived in Oregon, and my brother who actually ordered the car and my then-almost-2-year-old niece who was in the car lived in Kentucky.

They probably would have realized it's not worth the trouble for a few hundred bucks and dropped anything. And if they put anything false on your credit report through collections, you can argue it with the reporting agencies, and the rental place will need to do a good job of proving their case.

This is why it's so important to pay with a credit card - you can pull your money back and make them fight to get any.

I had an adventure in France with EuropeCar.

I had requested a Renault Megane Diesel with a Manual transmission. When we got to the rental agency they insisted they didn't have a diesel but I could have a Megane with gas engine and automatic. I agreed to take it but when I checked over the car, the remote door lock wouldn't work. "Would you take a diesel?" the clerk asked. So I got my Renault Megane Diesel with Manual transmission after all. Fortunately I made a thorough inspection and noted every ding and scrape.

We had an unusual accident a few days later when a car that had been sitting behind us for at least 10 minutes (in traffic stopped waiting for a truck to make a tight turn ahead) suddenly ran into the back of our Renault. We took down the usual details from one another and stopped in later at another EuropeCar agency to make sure that was enough. They insisted that we had to get a special form in the glove compartment filled out and signed by both parties - until they realized we hadn't taken out their CDW insurance. They then declared (over and over) "Don't worry about it."

I called the 1-800 number on my credit card and they said I really should have had that form filled out, and that they'd probably be dinged for repainting the scraped bumper, but "Don't worry about it."

After several days of worrying about it, we returned the car. Fortunately I had noted a pre-existing scrape on the back bumper. "One scrape, two scrapes, what's the difference!" the clerk declared, "Don't worry about it."

We were running late for our flight, so they said they'd charge my credit card and send me a copy of the bill. Every charge corresponded fairly well with our original estimate except for a new "Surcharge Number 2" for 50 or 100 Euros. Odd I thought, probably something to do with the scrape. So I wrote back and asked about it. "Sorry" they said, "that was a mistake and we'll reverse the charge."

If you don't ask about the extra charge, you get to pay it. If you ask about it, they take it off.

I really must be one of the minorities in the rental car business...

Everyone keeps saying how hard of a time they've had with rental cars, especially (it seems) Enterprise and it's associated companies.

I'll preface this by saying I mostly rent cars for fun, not necessity. Home airport, home town, etc. However, I've used plenty of other National locations throughout the country, coast to coast, as they're the only company I use when I rent.

I have yet to have a single issue with National, they've never tried to gouge me for damage or scratches, and I've never so much as paid a cleaning fee including in vehicles I smoked in (yes, I know, and I've since quit. I apologize).

We aren't talking Hyundai Accent's here, either. The least expensive vehicle I've had from National is probably a Ford Taurus and that ramps up quickly to Lincoln's, Infiniti's, Cadillac's, a Camaro, a Maserati, you name it. I'm not even a player in the car rental game but they sure treat me like I am. Heck, I've only paid an upgrade fee twice the entire time I've used them, one of which was the aforementioned Maserati.

On top of all that, I'm the least profitable renter they service. I rent weekends, when the prices are low. I use every discount code and coupon I can. I don't purchase ANY additional coverage as my credit card provides Primary Rental Coverage up to $100k, so no need to involve my personal insurance. I return the car full, clean, and as I received it.

Or maybe I've just gotten lucky... who knows. I've got another rental in a week, we'll see what happens.

I wonder if it matters how you rent them. I have rented cars as a bundle through priceline, and never had an issue. Perhaps they don't want to hussle customers from a supply line like priceline or expedia, and have to deal with them or risk losing the business line.

my 2centa on this is how did you go about renting?

If you booked directly and register for the company's rental program and register your dl and cc, then they treat you more like a seasoned traveler and don't pull these tricks .

If you are a rube off the street or booked through an internet search engine, you are expressing no value as a repeat customer so thry pull out the tricks.

whenever i rent directly its fast and efficient. when my friends handle the rental booked on hotwire or whatever they get the scare stories to upsell thrm into fuel or insurance or snowtires or whatever.

Last edited:
Back