The nightmare of a K&N filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I was shopping for parts for my Audi on Amazon and it recommended to buy a K&N filter. The model for my car was PS-7015.

I normally use Mann or STP if I buy from Autozone.

The K&N filter looked similar to what I normally buy so I installed it and forgot about it. Unfortunately, the filter reminded about itself very quickly within a couple of days with substantial smoke from the engine compartment and subsequently a low oil message. I drive 100 miles a day and am normally very busy. So I thought I had spilled oil and hadn't filled the engine well so I topped it off with a quart. After 3-4 days the smoke was still there and got another low oil message. This time I thought the cap needed to be tightened which I did -- at that point there was a visible oil discharge from the filter housing. After a few days again the oil was low.

So, in 700 miles I wasted about 3 liters of oil.

I chucked the K&N in the garbage bin and replaced it with STP with the first chance I got. Wasted $9 on the filter and $20 on oil

frown.gif

When I was throwing it way, I compared the big gasket to the STP gasket and while visually they looked similar, by touch it was clear that K&N was slightly thinner.

K&N Oil filters are known for leaking at the nut on the end. Some motorcycle race tracks won't allow them anymore.

Pal, KN filters are marketing hype and junk. If OE wanted they'd come from the factory.

Countless hours go into the design and function of automobiles and KN isn't on the R&D payroll

So... The gasket for the filter cap leaked?

It didn't occur to you too just buy a new gasket?

I think the guys above me are missing the point; it was a cartridge oil filter.

K&N "oiled" air filter is a totally obsolete idea that was abandoned by car makers decades ago. Oiled air filters were abandoned in the 1930s as paper and foam air filter elements improved.

K&N's air filter marketing plan which is pretty successful is hype fueled with a huge advertising budget/program.

Slap an official filter of Nascar on the box and you got a great marketing campaign.
01.gif
NOT

Love the echo chamber effect whenever someone posts about K&N OIL filters here
crackmeup2.gif

I've used the oil filters on one of my engines, not because I perceived them as an "upgrade", but because it was convenient and available. Never had a problem.

Originally Posted By: DerbyDave
K&N Oil filters are known for leaking at the nut on the end. Some motorcycle race tracks won't allow them anymore.

I've used the K&N spin-on filters with the 1" nut on the dome end on my bike a few times and didn't have any issue ... but doesn't mean it couldn't leak at some point. Last thing I'd want is oil all over my rear tire - hairy situation.

Originally Posted By: WANG
crackmeup2.gif

I've used the oil filters on one of my engines, not because I perceived them as an "upgrade", but because it was convenient and available. Never had a problem.

Bingo. Perhaps the examination of an aftermarket o-ring prior to installation would have prevented the issue.

It seems there was no issue with the filter - I wouldn't expect there to be, as K&N cartridges are quality items made in SK.

K&N all hype and no real value for your money. Much better deals out there and for a lot less money. But you like them go ahead its your $$ no K&N product will ever touch my cars.

So common with KN always being so cheap with that 1-1,000th of a rubber molecule on their products if its not the seal on an air cleaner its the thickness of an o-ring.
banana2.gif
that's what I think of KN

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
K&N "oiled" air filter is a totally obsolete idea that was abandoned by car makers decades ago. Oiled air filters were abandoned in the 1930s as paper and foam air filter elements improved.

K&N's air filter marketing plan which is pretty successful is hype fueled with a huge advertising budget/program.

The discussion is about oil filters.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: WANG
crackmeup2.gif

Bingo. Perhaps the examination of an aftermarket o-ring prior to installation would have prevented the issue.

It seems there was no issue with the filter - I wouldn't expect there to be, as K&N cartridges are quality items made in SK.

01.gif

What's convenient is that the Wix are on the shelf right next to the K&N so I can get a good filter without going to another store. Seeing as the o-ring is part of the filter, I blame K&N.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
What's convenient is that the Wix are on the shelf right next to the K&N so I can get a good filter without going to another store. Seeing as the o-ring is part of the filter, I blame K&N.

Perhaps the installation was incorrect? Ever seen a partially pinched o-ring? Looks fine when you remove it, but a close look sometimes reveals a cut - a cut that can and will leak oil.

If the same issue happened (and it could - I have seen it) with an OEM, Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filter, would the OP have sworn them off?

Perhaps it was a one-off? I've used K&N cartridges in the past and never had an issue. This is the first I've heard of a K&N cartridge failure - even though it was a simple o-ring failure. It wouldn't be the first o-ring failure caused by carelessness.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Perhaps the installation was incorrect? Ever seen a partially pinched o-ring? Looks fine when you remove it, but a close look sometimes reveals a cut - a cut that can and will leak oil.

If the same issue happened (and it could - I have seen it) with an OEM, Mann, Mahle, or Hengst filter, would the OP have sworn them off?

Perhaps it was a one-off? I've used K&N cartridges in the past and never had an issue. This is the first I've heard of a K&N cartridge failure - even though it was a simple o-ring failure. It wouldn't be the first o-ring failure caused by carelessness.

Even if it's a one off it would be K&N's fault just like the time I found a damaged wix which would be their fault unless someone damaged and returned it which probably happens a lot. Either way, it's best to look before installation.

Last edited:
Oring Ok visually but not by "touch" is interesting. Best to get the filter at an Audi dealership. Not sure why oring would be wrong except sometimes different years had different maker caps? If box was on a store shelf, it could be it was messed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back