Torque wrench arrived with 40ft*lbs setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My torque wrench arrived today with the torque setting pre-set on it at 40+ ft*lbs. I've checked calibration paperwork and it has been calibrated over 6 months ago. With that said, I believe it won't be as accurate as advertised (+/- 4%) due to lengthy storage with the spring loaded. Correct if I'm wrong here folks, never had torque wrenches before. PS. wrench can be easily returned which is exactly what I was planning to do unless you guys can convince me opposite. Million thanks

In my opinion I don't think 6 months is long enough for metal springs to take a significant set at 40 ft-lbs.

What's the scale/range for the torque wrench? We keep our torque wrenches set to 20% full-scale at work (aerospace) and I've done the same at home. Personally anywhere in the 0-20% of full-scale I'd be comfortable with.

the range is 10-150 and it has been set at 41-42ft*lbs which puts it at around 28%. deal breaker or not?

Originally Posted By: parshisa
the range is 10-150 and it has been set at 41-42ft*lbs which puts it at around 28%. deal breaker or not?

If you have nothing to compare it against, you may as well return it.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
If you have nothing to compare it against, you may as well return it.

Balderdash!!!
Just do a test.

Attach a socket and clamp the socket in a bench vise.
Then hang the appropriate weight at the end of the handle for your moment arm and wrench setting.
Does it click when it should?!?

You don't even need adjustable weights.
Just turn the wrench til it clicks during the test and calculate if your weight is correct.

This isn't rocket surgery....

Last edited:
haha, I actually thought about doing this but unfortunately I have nothing of the known weight in the house...bummer

any other ideas?

Originally Posted By: parshisa
haha, I actually thought about doing this but unfortunately I have nothing of the known weight in the house...bummer

any other ideas?

A gallon of water is 8 lbs. Get a few old milk jugs on a string.

If you can find something 40 ish lbs, weigh yourself, then weigh again holding the object and do subtraction.

Buy a dumbbell from walmart and save the receipt.

Tested the wrench against the factory torque transmission fill plug (32 ft*lbs) and it clicked out at this setting. There were factory marked and it hasn't moved at all. At least it's not overtorqueing connection, that's good.

That's a somewhat false test as you get breakaway torque trying to start from a standstill. You could match-mark the drain plug, loosen it slightly with a normal wrench, then retorque it with your tq wrench.

We need to over-think this just a bit more. One of you engineering types lookup how much 40ft/lbs will stretch in a 1" long, 1/4" diameter grade 5 bolt. Slip on a spacer, apply the torque and mic' the length. Now he can test his wrench. Now if he ever uses anti-seize, thredlock or lubricant (by accident or design) all bets are off.
crazy.gif

How bad do you think spring manufacturing is?

Seventy years ago, sure, I wouldn't trust the spring to not change rate. But steel is much better understood, and a spring used within it's proper range is going to retain calibration for your lifetime.

Last edited:
Rational part of my brain thinks exactly the same. Although, being acrive bitog member i have a tendency to doubt every mechanically inclined aspect of the lofe. I think this one with the wrench is one of them

Originally Posted By: djb
How bad do you think spring manufacturing is?

Seventy years ago, sure, I wouldn't trust the spring to not change rate. But steel is much better understood, and a spring used within it's proper range is going to retain calibration for your lifetime.

Well the question here isn't about the manufacturing repeatability of the spring rate, but rather the set that the spring takes when left in a partially compressed position for an extended period. This set will result in an altered spring rate and as a result an inaccurate torque wrench.
And it's definitely a thing.

The good part is that it's easy to check, per my previous post.

The reality is the concern that the OP posed in his original post is probably inconsequential for the average shade tree mechanic.

Last edited:
I highly doubt any other wrench you purchase will be any better or worse than your current wrench

I doubt any mechanic, or the thousands of them working today, would even consider returning that wrench
and they repair stuff all day and hopefully torque what they need to properly. And I bet their repair works.

This may simply be unnecessary worry on your part.

Use the simplest of test. What is the name of the manufacturer? Did you pay boatload of money?

Then you can blindly trust it.

Well, at least that is what most people think :)

I tried to contact the manufacturer but gettinf 0 feedback. Phone number on their web site belongs to ATT. What a joke. I’ll be sending it back and giving competition a try. Thanks for the feedback guys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back