Two large dogs charged at us on our walk tonight..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an alien observer.

If I was new around here, the knee-jerk "go to guns" readiness to deploy firepower (no doubt loaded with "defensive ammo") evident in this thread would be barely credible.

But I'm not new around here. So it isn't.

A gun would have been reassuring in the situation I describe above (though I wouldn't have used it) and its been suggested to me that I was mistaken for a forest ranger (who carry them) and thats why the owners called the dog off.

Apart from the US and say, Afghanistan, maybe the Pakistan tribal areas, guns aren't going to be an option for most people, and they would nearly always be massive literal overkill in the situation described.

Walk softly and carry a big stick?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I'm an alien observer.

If I was new around here, the knee-jerk "go to guns" readiness to deploy firepower (no doubt loaded with "defensive ammo") evident in this thread would be barely credible.

A gun would have been reassuring in the situation I describe above (though I wouldn't have used it) and its been suggested to me that I was mistaken for a forest ranger (who carry them) and thats why the owners called the dog off.

Apart from the US and say, Afghanistan, maybe the Pakistan tribal areas, guns aren't going to be an option for most people, and they would nearly always be massive literal overkill in the situation described.

I'm not sure this is a good scenario for a firearm anyway, firing down to hit a dog that's running in a residential neighborhood where the round can ricochet and hit you or another pedestrian that happens to be in the vicinity is just asking for more trouble.

I generally kick dogs, or dirt in their faces not to hurt them but give stern warning. The owner and dogs get the hint. This is even in public places and parks.

I don't believe in "he's friendly" as the owner lets a dog lap my child's face. Some owners get really offended especially the weirdo's who think the dog is their child.

unless it was life or death situation, I would never use a firearm in a residential area. too much room for error and one can quickly go from being the victim to being the bad guy.

I was tied up with courts and lawyers over custody of my grandson for over 2 years,when you have to start paying these snakes, a dog is pretty small potatoes.

Some folks here seem to have a bit too much testosterone. I have had many dog encounters . I only ever recall go v ing one a swift kick. Since then he barked t a safe distance. Dogs sense fear.

Wife and I used go walk in neighborhood and a black lab would act aggressive but not leave property. Non day the owner said he just wanted our attention. Put my hand out. He sniffed it and we petted him for five minutes. For many years with us and the dog relished our evening visit

I'm an alien observer.

In your dog story you thought the dog was there to cause you great bodily harm. And you wouldn't shoot it if it made it up to you? Right.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I'm an alien observer.

In your dog story you thought the dog was there to cause you great bodily harm. And you wouldn't shoot it if it made it up to you? Right.

Of course I would. But it didn't make it up to me, so in THAT situation, i.e. the situation I describe, I wouldn't have used a gun.

If I'd taken the close range photo of the camp that I framed when I came across it in the wadi, with my noisy motordrive camera, my best guess is that they'd have loosed the dog, it would have been down on me in couple of seconds, and I'd have been dead or seriously injured. Might not have had time to use a gun.

Pretty academic anyway, since I didn't have a gun. Even Americans wouldn't normally be able to carry guns in the Atlas Mountains.

I didn't take the picture because I knew Berber hill women (in particular) didn't like being photographed, and I was close enough, (though in cover) that it seemed a bit too intrusive. Like sticking a lens in the living room window. Didn't know about the dog but that wee bit of politeness may have saved my life.

On the ridge I picked up a couple of rocks and thought of throwing them since at its closest the beast was only a couple of metres below me, but I figured I probably had to come back that way and I didn't want the locals specifically [censored] off at me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Subdued
I really hate the lack of closure here

Yeah, maybe the dogs were charging their cell phones?

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: Subdued
I really hate the lack of closure here

Yeah, maybe the dogs were charging their cell phones?

Or charging OPs credit cards?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbdscXav6c

@ :25 or so.

Haha that's awesome!!
laugh.gif

Neighbor's dog charged me 40ft in my yard.. took out my knee.. I would have been dead if the dog wanted me dead. Had a sprained knee.

I now carry a shovel or other yard tool if the dog is out. It almost got a face full of broom once and the neighbor watches it about 10x better because he was totally shocked at the dogs behavior.

I was walking in front of this house on the sidewalk and this big dog comes racing out BARKING like crazy. She just blew through the storm/screen door. I think it covered the distance from the door to the sidewalk in two seconds. I ignored the biitch until it came within a few feet of me at which time I squared up with her. She raced back into the house as fast as she came running out with no more of that LOUD barking. I was kind of ticked because the thing startled me. I'm a dog lover but not when they act like that. I think the key is not showing fear or running from them. And square up with them when appropriate. I usually only get nipped from the ankle biters. I prefer the big dogs as I always able to spook them off or they get distracted when running at me by sniffing a fire hydrant/mail box post and watering it. Most I will do it a dog that bites if a good ole bop to the head with my hand.

Also the OP has a small dog so that may have something to do with thread topic.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ing#Post4525296

The only thing worse than mentioning a problem with a neighbor's dog is to insert the neighbor's kid into the subject of the conversation.Other kids and fidos are a problem but not my little Jonnie and Buster.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Greg must still be running - in the opposite direction of those two dogs chasing him.
crackmeup2.gif
underrated

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
The only thing worse than mentioning a problem with a neighbor's dog is to insert the neighbor's kid into the subject of the conversation.Other kids and fidos are a problem but not my little Jonnie and Buster.

Depends on the behaviour of all involved. There certainly are bad actors in neighborhoods.

Near-by neighborhood report of a dog chasing walkers, runners, bicyclers and even cars. Owner has been contacted repeatedly. Problem is this dog repeatedly gets away with the behavior and now thinks he's all powerfull and is entitled to his expanded circle-of-domain. Anything intruding into this circle is seen as a threat that must be warned off and confronted. He wins 100% of the time because they always retreat in fear rather than turning the tables.

Another neighbor has 'saved' a head-case just like the above except it's confined. Still exhibits the same behavior: very vocal, must confront, always wins, etc. I always turn the tables on it by walking straight up to the open fence, extending my arms and telling it to STOP. It immediately backs up, then begins dancing left, right, left, right. After about 5 min, this dog retreats. Oddly enough, there's another dog that trots up wanting attention, which I extend. This royally confuses psyco-dog. Owners are both clueless about how dogs think. Worse, neither dog is thoroughly excercised on a daily basis. Result? Too much energy and bored-to-death.

I don't understand anyone adopting a psych-dog, much less when they already have other animals + kids. Makes no sense to me.

Another case made-the-news: Police were called for an aggressive dog going after neighbors. It did as it always had (and gotten away with) and was shot by the officer. Film crew showed plenty of footage of woman in tears about her 'precious precious' having been shot. Must be completely clueless, self-centered and -absorbed. And no sense of shame nor respect for others. What about them? Their right to walk, bike and play in their yards and neighborhood? She was just shocked (SHOCKED) that her dog was SHOT.

Same song a couple of counties over....this time the dog got to the officer before she could fire. A couple of deep, puncture wounds. She regained her balance though and killed the dog. Sheriff stood behind her. Evidently had been lots of calls to this residence.

Out of curiosity, I made a trip to a local pound while close by. I began counting Pitbulls and mixes while walking past the pins. More than a few lunged at the chain-link. Rather un-nerving for a big guy like me. I thought about some small child with their parents who would be much shorter, having a big, loud pit fling himself into the gate! That would be terifying at such a young age.

The longer I was there, the more uncomfortable I felt. The place was run-down, smelled, very, very few mild, pleasant dogs. What's going on here? At the end of my walk, I counted 46 Pits/mixes! Woah....about 95% of all dogs! What kind of joint is this??

Turns out it's run by all-volunteers, mostly older women, is no-kill, and they recruit 'unadoptable' dogs from across the state + nearby states. IOW, the worst-of-the-worst. Mostly psycho-dogs people are afraid of, much less want to bring into their families.

What a weird, sad, depressing place. I noticed many of the volunteers were just odd & weird. No one asked me anything once inside. They must all be hard-core-no-killers to volunteer at such a joint with equally hard-core, unadoptable, aggressive dogs.

Later, I looked them up and read some reviews. Evidently, I'm not alone in my opinion nor experience.

Needless to say, I won't be visiting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back