Ravenol playing in Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, I have been saying for some time that Ravenol does make some very nice lubes. They get used in the marine industry quite a bit. I have no issue running their stuff if it was here and cheap enough ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
But, I have been saying for some time that Ravenol does make some very nice lubes. They get used in the marine industry quite a bit. I have no issue running their stuff if it was here and cheap enough ...

I do not doubt your word nor Ravenol’s reputation that they make quality products. I don’t think one can connect paying for a spot on a car to product quality.

Lots of brands advertise on cars, etc. STP comes to mind but how many here would run out and pour it into their vehicle?

Advertising is advertising, period. It doesn't matter where the ad appears. In a magazine, a billboard, on TV, or on the side of a race car. None of it has anything to do with the quality of a product. It's only purpose is to get people to BUY the product.

The company is trying to break out their mid tier ranking that's all. How good does a F1 oil have to be considering it doesn't need cold start protection, cleaning ability, corrosion resistance, etc. It needs to protect at high RPM and has a large capacity dry sump with huge coolers.

I suspect like top fuel engine oil it is a very application specific and may not perform well at all in a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ravenol paid to get their name on the car. It has nothing to do with proof of quality.

Actually, as a lubricant partner, they're doing more than that. They pay for the privilege to also formulate and provide lubricants for use in the cars, and to conduct a UOA program for them, not to mention likely liaising with Mercedes, the engine supplier for Force India.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Ravenol paid to get their name on the car. It has nothing to do with proof of quality.

Not to be rude but I would like to retort your statement.

When it comes to sponsorship and technical partnerships these are two different things. If you note all of RAVENOL motorsport news statements say "technical partnership", "lubricant partner" or even state the exact lubricants being used by the team, car, or race series. Some years back I spoke directly with RAVENOL when I was in Germany at the frankfurt Automechanika trade show and they blatantly say they will not sponsor a race team just for exposure. They will only support a race team if their lubricants are being used. They more less say the term sponsorship does not exist for one persons gain but rather it is a partnership to benefit both parties. If you note all of RAVENOLs race bottles specifically have the logos of their partners on the bottle now and they blatantly say the product is used by teams, series, race teams. Also some of the RAVENOL race oils and racing gear oils are some of the only oils allowed in certain series in accordance with FIA regulations. So I think its safe to say their physical products are more involved in motorsports then what many think. Especially if they are supported and up to FIA regulation/approval.

I have no doubt they are any other blender could produce a suitable oil for racing but that is no guarantee that the technology exist in their street oils.
Elf, Total, Fina (now petrrofina) are some examples of mid tier street oils from companies with a racing heritage.

That's quite true, Trav, but at least it does show they have some blending capability somewhere, rather than simply blending SN/GF-5 by recipe.
wink.gif

It is interesting to note that up until the rule changes for this year it was a widely held belief that F1 teams were using crankase oil as part of the combustion process to gain power. Now that would indeed signify a special blend as historically oil contamination in gasoline leads to lower allowable cylinder pressures before pre-ignition occurs. Sort of the opposite of octane. I tend to agree with the speculation as these cars smoked like a wore out delivery van the last few years and the exhaust is pretty clean this season. i would imagine a technical partnership would be almost mandatory if you are squeezing the rule book and actually using the crankcase oil as a fuel additive.

Originally Posted By: sloinker
It is interesting to note that up until the rule changes for this year it was a widely held belief that F1 teams were using crankase oil as part of the combustion process to gain power. Now that would indeed signify a special blend as historically oil contamination in gasoline leads to lower allowable cylinder pressures before pre-ignition occurs. Sort of the opposite of octane. I tend to agree with the speculation as these cars smoked like a wore out delivery van the last few years and the exhaust is pretty clean this season. i would imagine a technical partnership would be almost mandatory if you are squeezing the rule book and actually using the crankcase oil as a fuel additive.

This is certainly plausible... we were doing it in professional Kart racing 20+ years ago... much to the point the WKA mandated oil testing after a win. The flathead Briggs & Stratton engines would be purposely built with very lose rings for less drag and then we would spike the oil with Nitropropanol and other flammable "things" to really help the methanol burn! Then they started putting a teaspoon of oil over a burner and heated it to a certain temp and checked for volatility and flash burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back