Some Basic Brake Fluid Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure this has been asked often, but I went back 7 pages and didn’t see anything, so here it goes.

I’m surprised my Ford Owner’s Manual doesn’t specify how frequently I should change the brake fluid in my 2016 truck. I’ve had Dealerships tell me every 2-3 years in the past, but that really just seems like they’re trying to get more of my money.

So how often should someone change the fluid? And is there anything to watch for if the fluid is in need of a change?

2 years is the common suggestion for brake fluid changes.

If the pedal is spongy and soft, you've likely got a good amount of moisture contamination. Other than that, you probably wouldn't notice any other problems until it was too late and it is in need of repair.

Age determines brake fluid changes. Curiously, Honda seems to be one of the few who calls for periodic brake fluid changes every 3 years, although the technology and the fluid is basically the same among all manufacturers. Brake fluid has a strong affinity for moisture, and it will inevitably absorb it through the hoses and seals given time. Brake fluid that has absorbed moisture has a lower boiling point and it promotes corrosion.

After having a brake line rust from the inside out and bursting, I now am on a 2 to 3 year change schedule. There are lots of cars on the road with original brake fluid and its scary what comes out of those brake lines when you finally change it. If you only keep your car a few years and get a new one, you can never change it, but if you want to keep the car a long time i would change it every other year or two and sleep easy at night knowing your brake system isn't corroding away from the inside out.

At least every time you change any pads, or 5 years, whichever comes first. Changing it sooner is not bad... it is pretty easy to do yourself and brake fluid is really cheap.

I change it when replacing the pads and rotors. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

As mentioned above, brake fluid is usually changed by age. I have a Volvo where the manufacturer recommends 2 yrs or 40K miles, whichever comes first.

European manufacturers generally say 1-2 years. Honda is 3 years. Nobody else makes a recommendation.

It is curious.

I changed mine for the first time yesterday in my 2016 Rubicon. I make it a point to change brake fluid every 2-3 years. I tied this one into a tire rotation.

Moisture isn't the main reason for fluid changes. Most modern systems are very well sealed against moisture intrusion. The reason for fluid changes is because the additive package in brake fluid deteriorates, which may result in corrosion of internal brake components. This is why testing of the brake fluid using the test strips (to check copper content) can be a viable method for determining the health of your brake fluid.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I change it when replacing the pads and rotors. Speed bleeders are awesome
smile.gif

I love my Speed Bleeders.

I agree with replacing fluid whenever pads are changed...also the rears if drum brakes.

Could somebody post a link to a 'speed bleeder'.....I usually do gravity bleeds if I don't have anybody to depress the brake pedal.

Originally Posted By: Onug
I’m surprised my Ford Owner’s Manual doesn’t specify how frequently I should change the brake fluid in my 2016 truck. I’ve had Dealerships tell me every 2-3 years in the past, but that really just seems like they’re trying to get more of my money.

I fix my own car, so the cost is minimal. When you see what old brake fluid looks like, you will understand why calipers seize and brake lines rust from the inside out.

You will never hear from anyone who has changed it and decided that it is not worth it they will never do it again. You will either see people changing it religiously every two years, or those who have never changed it and never will.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Age determines brake fluid changes. Curiously, Honda seems to be one of the few who calls for periodic brake fluid changes every 3 years, although the technology and the fluid is basically the same among all manufacturers. Brake fluid has a strong affinity for moisture, and it will inevitably absorb it through the hoses and seals given time. Brake fluid that has absorbed moisture has a lower boiling point and it promotes corrosion.

Honda is 3 years for the first change, then every two years after that.

On a motorcycle you could change it when it clouded up. This was DOT4. Mostly foreign jobs. With the H-Ds I tbink they used 5 or 5.1.

On a regular road going vehicle, I feel 2 years is too often for 24,000 miles (give or take). At the bare minimum, do a full line and caliper compression flush every pad change. Or at the most when the caliper strip says to, when you dunk a paper towel in the rez and it comes out looking terrible, or 5-10 years or 50k-100k miles.

But we dont see salt, so a frozen bleeder is probably less likely on a classic than a 3-4 year old car driven in northern winters.

Every two years. Started yesterday by replacing fluid in master cylinder. Now I plan to do one wheel at a time by removing wheel to facilitate access to caliper. Takes longer but works for me. I have the Russell Speed Bleeders on my 04 Camry.

Originally Posted By: Onug
I’m sure this has been asked often, but I went back 7 pages and didn’t see anything, so here it goes.

So how often should someone change the fluid? And is there anything to watch for if the fluid is in need of a change?

Because Ford engineers took brake fluid samples from junked cars in auto salvage yards and found little water in the fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back