Smallest Personal Jet Air Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
was expecting to see a bede micro...yup thats tiny....

The music is hilarious.

UD

Wish they hadn't cut the tiny but apparently fairly powerful engines starting, was interested to see and hear that.

Re Smallest Pesonal Jet, its close, but....

Ohhhh, the engine is glowing on takeoff! Wonderfully over temp'd.

I've seen the little Sonex jet fly at Sun N Fun. That was pretty cool too.

Go to the 5 minute mark to see it fly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I could do without the stupid music

It was designed by a French guy, so, they chose some "French" music, I think...but yes, best watched with the volume down...

What are the engines from/for?

Seem too small for air-breathing missiles that I've heard of, though I'm likely very out of date.

Commercial / military drone?

Wonder how it does with an engine out. They're fairly close together so it might be more forgiving than most twins.

The flying squirrel suits started using the jets that were made for scale aircraft.

(early developers used turbo gizzards - then they started making them proper).

One of my lecturers in the late 80s (turbomachinery and dimensional analysis - two subjects) suggested that microturbines wouldn't work, as the clearances didn't scale with the other dimensions.

The first turbo based GTs were pretty sketchy (Nye was one of the early ones), but clearly, they are doable.

Having built a number of small gas turbine engines, you are not wrong. Small ones have real issues with acceptable performance. Clearances are a big part of the problem. Williams tried a 3 spool turbofan for the Eclipse jet. Even using one piece bladed disks and ultra tight clearances, Williams was never able to achieve predicted power or TSFC (economy) . Pratt came to the rescue with conventionally sized parts in a compact package.

Aviation is full of bogus claims and a harsh reality. That reality being Range, Speed and Altitude are almost mutually exclusive goals. The smaller, the more elusive those goals become.

Here's the video without music and landing.

And the engines used..

TJ-20 Turbojet

I wonder if this counts as turbine PIC time.
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
And I thought the BD-5 was small...

The BD-5J was cool looking...this thing is just goofy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back