Alternate 4Runner Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Yeah don't listen to the engineers that designed the motor...you obviously know better than them right?

Get out of here with that baloney. Have you read the owner's manual? Didn't think so.

I also have a 2017 4Runner. Toyota's requirements with regards to oil viscosity is not specific (recommends vs requires) and gives plenty of leeway to where you can run just about anything you find on the shelf at WalMart.

Mine will be getting 5w30 (coming up on its first oil change this week, actually), as that's what I have on my shelf. My 2005 (purchased new) has the same engine and has run flawlessly for 136k miles on Xw30s and 40s.

Here are the pertinent sections of the OM:

I should have fully read the thread prior to posting.

When i owned my 2017 Corolla and asked the service mgr about this language he said "sure, you can go with higher viscosity, but by doing so you are saying that you're vehicle is being used under extreme conditions and you now fall under severe service intervals for all maintenance items". Good luck, i think the 4Runner will be fine with a variety of viscosity, including 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: wemay
When i owned my 2017 Corolla and asked the service mgr about this language he said "sure, you can go with higher viscosity, but by doing so you are saying that you're vehicle is being used under extreme conditions and you now fall under severe service intervals for all maintenance items". Good luck, i think the 4Runner will be fine with a variety of viscosity, including 0W-20.

Was this Toyota talking or was he just sharing his opinion?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Not sure, but i understood his logic. Nor did i want or need the hassle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Not sure, but i understood his logic. Nor did i want or need the hassle.

I agree. That is some major hair splitting though.. Point being, I am sure a different dealer or service adviser would have given you different results though..

Was talking out his freckle...there's a difference between higher speeds/temperatures and dusty/offroad.

Originally Posted By: 28gauge
Have a 2017 4Runner. Manual recommends 0W20. I live in Tucson, AZ and would like to run a higher viscosity, like a 5W30 syn. Manual leaves no room for alternates under different conditions except, for Puerto Rico only. Higher viscosities OK. A little confused? Is the Puerto Rico engine of a different specification or is it just gas mileage/environmental? Any opinions on a higher viscosity causing potential harm?

For me personally, I would use 5/30 in a heartbeat, I would ditch the 20 right away. I did years ago on my wifes Mazda Skyactive engine.
Same deal with Mazda 0/20 or 5/20 (I forgot which) in the USA but everywhere else in the world 5/30. Its all about the EPA.
and to make matters worse you live in a much warmer climate then northern states (as I do) so I wouldnt give it another thought. Do it.

Yes I read the manual. While the example with 0W20 oil states higher or lower viscosity might be used under different conditions, they make a point of stating should you use 5W20 due to lack of availability of 0W20, you should switch right back to the 0W20.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Puerto Rico is well known as a center of engineering excellence so you should be doing what they do. It's a good thing they discuss the use of motor oil at extremely low temperatures in Puerto Rico because it may be so cold your engine might not start. Thank goodness Toyota has addressed this.

The nuance is easy to read here. The oil temperature chart for Puerto Rico is the unregulated () recommendations. This is how the engineers were able to communicate what they recomended around CAFE language requirements. It is a gift.
Another tell is to go to the Castrol Australia oil selector and see what is Recomended in other markets for the same engines. The engines are built to the same specifications worldwide. http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/

We should not confuse regulatory driven language with engineering best practices. They are not to the same purpose.

Toyota designed the GR engine to run on ILSAC multi Grade oil. (5w30 on initial design)It will tolerate up to 15w40 and down to 0w20. It will also run well on Acea a3 selections as they fall within the heavy , fast, hard and hot running range of selections that are preferable in tougher climates.

Thank you Bryanccfshr. This is what I've been trying to say unsuccessfully for awhile and you nailed it. The ENGINE is specified for various oils by the manufacturer, and CAFE in the US requires the 0w20 spec.

I appreciate the posting of the Puerto Rico chart for our engines....that is what would have been in the manual without CAFE.....but instead we get this:

Which allows/recommends/suggests that a heavier oil should be used. Apparently Toyota engineers know that under a load, a thicker oil is required for adequate protection.

Not to say that mom's short tripped grocery getter won't be fine on 0w20 - it will rarely get up to temp anyway.

Yes I read the manual. While the example with 0W20 oil states higher or lower viscosity might be used under different conditions, they make a point of stating should you use 5W20 due to lack of availability of 0W20, you should switch right back to the 0W20.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you.

I was talking to jj, who, in an effort to stir the pot, was talking out of his tail end.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you.

I was talking to jj, who, in an effort to stir the pot, was talking out of his tail end.

Not a problem. I was just pointing out that the manual does send some mixed signals.

Have a 2017 4Runner. Manual recommends 0W20. I live in Tucson, AZ and would like to run a higher viscosity, like a 5W30 syn. Manual leaves no room for alternates under different conditions except, for Puerto Rico only. Higher viscosities OK. A little confused? Is the Puerto Rico engine of a different specification or is it just gas mileage/environmental? Any opinions on a higher viscosity causing potential harm?

I'd go by Puerto Rico recommendations.

In my older Toyotas, I use either 15w-40 or 10w-40. In my newer Toyotas, I use 5w-30

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

For me personally, I would use 5/30 in a heartbeat, I would ditch the 20 right away. I did years ago on my wifes Mazda Skyactive engine.
Same deal with Mazda 0/20 or 5/20 (I forgot which) in the USA but everywhere else in the world 5/30. Its all about the EPA.
and to make matters worse you live in a much warmer climate then northern states (as I do) so I wouldnt give it another thought. Do it.

I took the same approach with my wife's 2013 3 2.0. Mainly due to short trips an fuel dilution issues.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
thin vs thick debate is infinite....

It is indeed.

Earlier I recommended sticking with Toyota’s advice but if the OP plans on towing or other severe uses then I would go with 5w30.

Seeing as the manufacturer is only concerned with the engine lasting thru the warranty period, it is in their best interest to advise the thinnest possible oil to get them across that line while driving their CAFE numbers down..It is simple really. THAT is what the engineers have to recommend.

Keep in mind that I live in Tucson, AZ. 105 degrees (and higher) is quite common for many months. Early morning winter might see a freeze like 30 degrees, but quickly move up to the 50's and 60's in the afternoon. In my last 2012 4Runner I went by the book with the 0W20. Traded it in with 38K miles without any issues. My 2017 has 7K miles on it now and I think I'm going to the M1 0W30 going forward 12 months year. While I don't tow or do much off-roading, we do travel to the White Mountains which involves a bit of climbing through elevations. Again, I consider the weather alone severe condition.

Keep in mind that I live in Tucson, AZ. 105 degrees (and higher) is quite common for many months. Early morning winter might see a freeze like 30 degrees, but quickly move up to the 50's and 60's in the afternoon. In my last 2012 4Runner I went by the book with the 0W20. Traded it in with 38K miles without any issues. My 2017 has 7K miles on it now and I think I'm going to the M1 0W30 going forward 12 months year. While I don't tow or do much off-roading, we do travel to the White Mountains which involves a bit of climbing through elevations. Again, I consider the weather alone severe condition.

I would agree with that.

I have been told by a few auto mechanics, that in western WA state, just driving is severe service given the nature of the traffic, hills, etc....

Last edited:
“I have been told by a few auto mechanics, that in western WA state, just driving is severe service given the nature of the traffic, hills, etc....”

I was told that as well by the Mazda dealership. It makes good sense as we have the most expensive parking lots in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back