PlayStation power inverter issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some odd reason my 400w power inverter runs my PS4 just fine, but when I attempt to power on my PS3, The green light next to the power button turns on, then I get a single beep and it quickly turns off. The odd thing is the PS4 slim uses the same amount of power as the PS3 slim.

Any idea what the issue could be?

do they have different power adapters?

one might be more tolerant to simulated sine wave than the other.

Originally Posted By: Rand
do they have different power adapters?

one might be more tolerant to simulated sine wave than the other.

I agree. Some devices need a purer sine wave instead of the chopped up one from some inverters. You could try a different inverter or power supply for the PS3 if it is external.

You didn't mention whether your inverter is pure sine wave or modified. If it is a MSW inverter, you may want to try a PSW.

Curious if they both use plug-in wall power supplies that deliver DC to the units or the power supply is inside the case. Also if linear or switching mode. Transformers as a whole don't like to be fed anything resembling a square wave, a triangular wave..anything with sharp edges. It causes the windings to overheat.

Could also be noise coupled into PS3 from a long DC cord with no EMI/RFI core.

Turns out all I needed to do is press the power button repeatedly to get the PS3 to power up. Given the PS3 has the cell processor it most likely was surging with the initial press to power it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back