Toyota OEM WS ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Does anyone use Non Genuine WS approved or compatible fluid in a Toyota application?
How many miles/Kilometers done with the replacement fluid? (Non Genuine fluid)
Better performance than the OEM WS ATF?
Any other concern?
Cheers.

I have used Maxlife ATF in all my Toyota's with complete success. I love in the southern Calif mountains, which is very hard on cars, way better than WS in my opinion.

Very happy with Maxlife in my 06 Tacoma 18 dollars a gallon at WM it’s tough to beat.

I used walmart super tech Toyota IV spec, which I think has been superseded to Toyota VI spec.

Anyway, works fine and no weird additives not needed

2qts of D4 redline and 2qts of maxlife in the RX hybrid drive, D6 in the rear motor,10k and 5k respectively. Maxlife in the IS (a few d&f) for about 10k. Works fine.

I would go with a full synthetic. I use Amsoil in my Transmissions and Differentials. Initially I do about 4 changes where I drain out what I can from the pan drain (WHILE COLD!!) and replace that exact amount back in. I'll do the 4 partial changes over a couple of weeks. I have very inefficiently removed about 75% of the old fluid. After that I will do the same partial drain from the pan drain every 20K while cold and replace that same amount. According to my calculations, if I do a partial drain every 20K I will have replaced my "entire" fluid every 100K. There are many better ways to do this but this is my simple way.

It seems that here if you don't use Toyota OEM most people go with the Maxlife.

Ok, all the Toyotas listed are pre-2016s. Is Maxlife good for '16 Camrys. I want to do the cold drain, measure and refill.TIA

I am not sure if Valvoline Maxlife ATF is available in Australia?
I don't think people read your location when answering this question.
May be somebody in Australia can chime in?

Maxlife is very popular on here, and it is no problem in Toyota transmissions
smile.gif

Another recommendation is Castrol Full Synthetic ATF, which is on sale at Autozone right now for $5/qt.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Use Redline D6 or Amsoil fluid. No problems in any WS application.

Redline D6 is a good fluid but not for WS applications.
Used it in my ES350 and in hot weather there will be transmission flare.
Reverted to WS and no issues whatsoever!!

We have max life ATF here in OZ.
But I have other choices such as Fuchs 4400
Penrite LV Castro Transmax FE Nulon multi vehicle

I did my last drain and fill on my 07 Tacoma with Maxlife, mixed it with WS (current mix should be about 9 quarts of WS and 3.2 quarts of Maxlife), no problems over a year later. I’m gonna keep using Maxlife from here on out.

I am running Redline D6 in every car I own, one is my wife's 2014 Rav4 which we use to tow a small 14 ft boat with decks and 25 hp motor. In fact I run a Qt of Redline racing and light weight racing ATF that is a Type-F with no slip agents. I use both to match the viscosity of D6. I also have added a external trans cooler too. I have zero issues. WS is a horrible price point cheap semi-synthetic.

While everyone likes Maxlife and I have use it in my daughters Honda, Maxlife is just a group 3 fluid. I want a group 4 (Amsoil) or in the case of Redline D6 a group 4/5. I did a complete 95% change of the WS by pulling the pan and refilling and getting a long hose and attach it to the "hockey puck" cooler/heater that does almost nothing to cool since there is so so little ares in it. while kneeling by the ignition key I start up and let it suck the fresh oil in the pan and when you hear it to start sucking air I shut it down and refill the trans. I think it took 4-5 of this way till I saw clean D6. This clean out all the [censored] WS out of the torque convertor. I will only use top tier group 4 or group 5 in any of my ATF pumper. it is only $30 more then Maxlife, why bother with group 3 for that money. You get a lot better oil for $30 more.

There's probably no need for me to chime in, but I drain/fill my wife's 2012 Highlander with WS fluid. I have no shifting issues and it seems to hold up well for my application. I've done a drain/fill every 30K. I may bump that up to 50K. I plan to stick with Toyota WS. To each their own.

If you can afford a Kakadu, don't settle for the questionable recommendations. The only WS certified ATF I came across here was ENEOS ATF.
Officially WS is not miscible or compatible, and even overflow fluid has to be discarded.

Honestly it doesn’t matter the base stock of the fluid, the secret is the frictional properties of the metals.
That is only known to OEM manufacturer who refrains from licensing the product be it T-IV or WS.
Only XOM knows the chemistry being Toyota’s manufacture of their fluids.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
There's probably no need for me to chime in, but I drain/fill my wife's 2012 Highlander with WS fluid. I have no shifting issues and it seems to hold up well for my application. I've done a drain/fill every 30K. I may bump that up to 50K. I plan to stick with Toyota WS. To each their own.

Truly believe T-WS is a quality 60K fluid for a full flush, 40K for a drain & fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back