Drain and fill of '14 Odyssey

Good on you for doing this. I did a D&F on my Pilot at around 20K to get all the break-in material out. I noticed VCM became a little smoother afterwards.

I did the same thing on our 2013 at the 5k mile mark, along with its first oil change. The results were the same as yours - paste on the drain plug but very clean and bright red fluid coming out. I also used DW-1 fluid as the replacement.

At around 30k miles, the MM indicated to do what it thought was the first D&F so I did a repeat performance. I'd assume yours will indicate the same at that mileage.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

A true change is supposed to be 3 in and 3 out, 3 times with some driving in between each one, but that takes a lot of time and expensive fluid.

Actually this is an oft-repeated error. The manual actually states drain, fill, drive x3, then drain and fill again. For a total of 4 times drain and fill, around 14 quarts of fluid.

Page 341 of the 2006 Odyssey owner's manual: "To thoroughly flush the transmission,the technician should drain and refill it with Honda ATF-Z1, then drive the vehicle for a short distance. Do this
three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time."

It's easy to overlook after you've been under the da!n van three times prior... also don't forget changing the (non-existent according to the dealer) transmission filter on the BGRA trans!

A123 came up so did another ATF drain when changing the oil. Dumped it into the same pan as the oil, only to realize I was rushing and should have done it separately to measure.

Very windy out so stopped a little bit short because splatter was getting everywhere.

Prob good to do 15k drain and fills if the van sees mostly city miles. That's an aggressive schedule but good preventative maintenance. What about on the Accord, has that seen regular drain and fills as well?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Prob good to do 15k drain and fills if the van sees mostly city miles. That's an aggressive schedule but good preventative maintenance. What about on the Accord, has that seen regular drain and fills as well?

The 15k-ish was sort of my plan...the OLM gives us 5-6k between oil changes, so I'm inclined to change fluid on the third one in the interim and then when the minder says to. I did one at 10 and one at 30 which is ok I guess.

I bought 12 qts to do the accord as well. That thing goes so far on an oil change there's fewer opportunities. Given the result on the odyssey, and given that I'm over 30k on the accord, I'm thinking when I do the next oil change, which should be soon, I'll change the trans fluid.

I really wanted to do it at 15k but for some reason didn't.

Another one done at 32k. Still a lot of residue, but imo a marked improvement from prior times.

Fluid still beautiful red.

If yours is the six-speed, I highly advise getting the software update. Fluid deterioration would be reduced.

6710779B-456E-419D-BA89-B372222DB44E.jpeg
178EBA84-57BF-4E8F-86C1-7597711ED5A3.jpeg
B70F9DBA-62A0-4D26-87B7-27D2901922C8.jpeg
B29E456E-19BE-470A-82C6-F749E5E62FA6.jpeg
BF036FC6-81B5-42DA-972A-FB3CF5E52B47.jpeg

Almost to 70k, just did another. Fluid looks great and the west metals and sludge on the magnet is much less in quantity and it’s also not as jagged on the magnet.

You are taking good care of your Odyssey. Well done. I help with my niece's 2015 Odyssey.
I used to think minivans were stupid until I drove her's. I was wrong. That thing does so much so well and is simply awesome!

While I don't service an Odyssey, my parent's 2003 Accord LX V6 gets treated to Idemitsu Type H-Plus ATF. I started using it when my low price source for DW-1 went away. I did the 3x D&F to clean out old fluid then a fresh refill, also swapped out the little pink filter cartridge which is external on this generation of Honda transmissions, no ill effects or issues over the years. Might be a cheaper alternative; I shopped around for prices, and this was the cheapest AND free shipping - Idemitsu Type H-Plus

What is the source of this metal? Is it from the steel plates in the clutch pack or gears wearing over time? Not sure if there is any credence to this or if its just an old-mechanics tale, but isn't it good to have some material from the clutch pack etc. floating around for friction, especially on higher mileage vehicles?

2DAEC9C6-50DB-4E2F-BED1-D3EAEBEF380E.jpeg

I am surprised by how good yours looks. This is after 14K on a 16 RDX.

The car has 125k. From 0-90k, it received a triple drain and refill every 30K. Then after 90k, it received a single drain and refill every 10-15k.

View attachment 79109

The car has 125k. From 0-90k, it received a triple drain and refill every 30K. Then after 90k, it received a single drain and refill every 10-15k.
I agree, it never looks as OP's on my '16 Pilot with 6 six speed. I'm doing D&F every 10k and it still comes out quite darkened with fair amount of residue on the magnet. Also, to see the true color condition of the fluid, put it in the plastic cup - this is amazing how much worse it looks when put in a container as opposed to when it is being drained.

View attachment 79109

It has always come out bright red. I don’t do it on any particular schedule, and I don’t do it more than a single drain and fill.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
One thing I like about honda ( just 1 thing ), their transmission fluid change is SO simple. Drain and fill, heck I do it every years.

They're the only ones that I know of that include a dipstick, fill plug and drain plug (on most models). If you use the huge fill plug on the Ody AT and a long old school ATF funnel to reach it, ATF pours in faster than an engine oil change.
Lol, depending on their design. On their cars that use the same parts the fill plug might as well not exist. You'd have to get so much stuff out of the way it is quicker to fill it through a tiny funnel and the dipstick tube.

I don't think I've ever bothered to even open my fill plugs on my cars.

Lol, depending on their design. On their cars that use the same parts the fill plug might as well not exist. You'd have to get so much stuff out of the way it is quicker to fill it through a tiny funnel and the dipstick tube.

I don't think I've ever bothered to even open my fill plugs on my cars.

Nor would I on their cars. I thought we were talking about Odysseys.

Back