Alternate 4Runner Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2017 4Runner. Manual recommends 0W20. I live in Tucson, AZ and would like to run a higher viscosity, like a 5W30 syn. Manual leaves no room for alternates under different conditions except, for Puerto Rico only. Higher viscosities OK. A little confused? Is the Puerto Rico engine of a different specification or is it just gas mileage/environmental? Any opinions on a higher viscosity causing potential harm?

I have Mobil 1 0w40in my 2018 trd Pro 4 runner right now. The dealer installed it at my 6month service when I brought the oil and truck in. Had a discussion, pointed out the owners manual and they didn’t have a problem with it.
I am going to change my 0w20 in my Tacoma to Castrol magnatec 5w30 @the 5k Service.
The manual specifically says higher viscosity may be better suited if you drive @ high speed or high load conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 28gauge
Have a 2017 4Runner. Manual recommends 0W20. I live in Tucson, AZ and would like to run a higher viscosity, like a 5W30 syn. Manual leaves no room for alternates under different conditions except, for Puerto Rico only. Higher viscosities OK. A little confused? Is the Puerto Rico engine of a different specification or is it just gas mileage/environmental? Any opinions on a higher viscosity causing potential harm?

The Puerto Rico, Aruba, Bonaire models are the same as the USA models.
Now. If the truck is the same, what is different?

Engine is a 4.0L 1GR-FE?

My 2015 has the same engine, and in 2015, it was spec'd for 5W30.

But stick with factory spec for warranty and then you can switch.

Stick to the what the manual says for warrenty purposes. This is like Nissan Versa - Versa always called for 5w30 now Nissan says 0w20. No changes were reported to engine design.

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Yeah don't listen to the engineers that designed the motor...you obviously know better than them right?

Get out of here with that baloney. Have you read the owner's manual? Didn't think so.

I also have a 2017 4Runner. Toyota's requirements with regards to oil viscosity is not specific (recommends vs requires) and gives plenty of leeway to where you can run just about anything you find on the shelf at WalMart.

Mine will be getting 5w30 (coming up on its first oil change this week, actually), as that's what I have on my shelf. My 2005 (purchased new) has the same engine and has run flawlessly for 136k miles on Xw30s and 40s.

Here are the pertinent sections of the OM:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jj51702
Yeah don't listen to the engineers that designed the motor...you obviously know better than them right?

That’s why I run 40 and 30 weights in the gr motors. that’s what they are engineered for.

Bunch of good workers in here.

Puerto Rico is well known as a center of engineering excellence so you should be doing what they do. It's a good thing they discuss the use of motor oil at extremely low temperatures in Puerto Rico because it may be so cold your engine might not start. Thank goodness Toyota has addressed this.

I like 0w stuff. 5w stuff ain't that much different; flows a little less when cold.
My guess is, 5w30 use will result in slightly worse gas mileage.
Other than that... Nada.

I was curious about my car. Shell Puerto Rico specs 0W20 with no alternates for my Accord just like in the US:

Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4 (Accord Coupe) (G) (2012)

Premium Helix Ultra SN 0W-20
Quaker State Ultimate Durability SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

Why don't you feel 0w20 will be suffice?
confused.gif

Maybe buy a six pack of Mobil 1 15W-50 and add a bottle of it with each oil change? Manufacturer will have no idea, but certainly not the best approach. How big is the sump?

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
I like 0w stuff. 5w stuff ain't that much different; flows a little less when cold.
My guess is, 5w30 use will result in slightly worse gas mileage.
Other than that... Nada.

5W and 0W have very little difference in actual cranking and pumping rates until you get REALLY cold.

I wish Honda would be similarly helpful.

In the end they have to please me too not only EPA. As the checkbook is in my pocket, EPA doesn’t buy Accords.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Puerto Rico is well known as a center of engineering excellence so you should be doing what they do. It's a good thing they discuss the use of motor oil at extremely low temperatures in Puerto Rico because it may be so cold your engine might not start. Thank goodness Toyota has addressed this.

Lol finally someone with some humor and common sense

Lol at the guy trying to break the Toyota oil "code, that bypasses cafe requirements. Tin foil hat mode engaged. They have sent u the message brotato, u must feel blessed

Originally Posted By: 28gauge

Toyota must have changed the verbiage.

My Mom has a 2015 TRD Pro and the manual states 0w20 under normal conditions. A 5w20 can be used if 0w20 isn't available, but 0w20 must be used for the next oil change. If the vehicle is used for towing, you can go up a weight. (Be it 0w30 or 5w30.. who knows what they meant.)

I am finishing up a small 0w20 stash then I plan on running a 5w30 synthetic. 10k OCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back