Purolator One seal problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed a Purolator One spin-on on my Odyssey, turning it hand tight (as I do with all my filters). The next day I saw a few drips from the filter, and used a large wrench to tighten a little more (with some damage to the flimsy can). Has anyone else had trouble getting a Purolator One spin-on to seal, or is this one a fluke?

I had a slight leak with a car quest red made by puro and didn’t notice I had a leak until taking off the filter during oil change. No rattle. The Elantra has plastic covers underneath. Since you damaged the filter, I would highly recommend changing to a new filter and brand

Cans so thin they crinkle when I handle them turned me off. I get Mazda OEM or Ultra and they feel like a billet compared to thin can units. ED

Get your measuring sticks out. You will find all the three consumer Fram brand lines including Ultra, are not thicker.

Did you double check to make sure the seal gasket of the last oil
filter came off? This is a common sign of the dreaded double gasket too.

No matter what filter I use, I always remove the base gasket and clean out the gasket groove with carb cleaner on a Q-Tip. Carb cleaner will remove any paint overspray and leave a nice clean surface for the gasket to seal on the filter side. I've seen a lot of paint overspray on Purolators.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No matter what filter I use, I always remove the base gasket and clean out the gasket groove with carb cleaner on a Q-Tip. Carb cleaner will remove any paint overspray and leave a nice clean surface for the gasket to seal on the filter side. I've seen a lot of paint overspray on Purolators.

What exactly is the purpose of this other than to waste time and carb cleaner?

Ive never once observed a leak from that point. I'd venture to bet 99.99% of the population, most of whom have no clue what brand of filter they have, all of the rest knowing little more than a brand name, have never encountered this either...

I've been changing oil for over 4 decades, never seen this as a leak path, and never carried out this ritual either. I just leave the gasket sealed to the filter base same as it came off the production line, and lube the side of the gasket that mates to the mounting surface with a thin film of motor oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I like perfection and knowing something is right where it counts - and because I can.

I've found crud and paint overspray in the base gasket grooves more than once. Oil filters are not made in a clean room. The threads in the base plate mounting hole are usually pretty dirty too, so they also get cleaned.

I'm preemptive, not going to wonder if the gasket might leak while out on the road. I'd rather ensure it's right when installing, and it takes a whole 2 minutes to do, and a little squirt of carb cleaner on a Q-Tip goes a long way in this case. Try it, you might like it.
grin2.gif

Wth Lol great use of time and resources

It is, as most gasket grooves and base threads are not clean enough for my liking.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I've been changing oil for over 4 decades, never seen this as a leak path, and never carried out this ritual either. I just leave the gasket sealed to the filter base same as it came off the production line, and lube the side of the gasket that mates to the mounting surface with a thin film of motor oil.

This^

Same with me . I take a little oil and smear it onto the gasket , before I spin the filter on . Clean oil , used oil , does not much matter .

On the other hand our Chevy Sonic 1.8l 4 cylinder uses a cartridge filter & plastic screw on cap ( with O-Ring ) . The new filter comes with a new O-Ring . Remove the old one , install the new one & smear it with oil .

The filter snaps into the plastic cap . Then screw filter & cap onto the engine .

I have been ordering the filters from Rockauto.com for around $ 2 each in quantity . Compare that to the FRAM PH3387A Extra Guard for $ 3.77 + tax .

I also wipe the baseplate threads with a rag then apply a thin film of motor oil to those threads, and wipe the mounting surface with a rag.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I like perfection and knowing something is right where it counts - and because I can.

I've found crud and paint overspray in the base gasket grooves more than once. Oil filters are not made in a clean room. The threads in the base plate mounting hole are usually pretty dirty too, so they also get cleaned.

I'm preemptive, not going to wonder if the gasket might leak while out on the road. I'd rather ensure it's right when installing, and it takes a whole 2 minutes to do, and a little squirt of carb cleaner on a Q-Tip goes a long way in this case. Try it, you might like it.
grin2.gif

I understand where you are coming from, but in my 50+ years of changing oil many hundreds of times I have never seen a filter leak where you describe. I had a late 70's Pinto blow out a filter when I started it one winter morning in St. Paul, but other than that no leaks. I always check to make sure the old gasket came off before installing the new filter.

But then I guess most of us are OCD about something.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
But then I guess most of us are OCD about something.
smile.gif

You should see how clean I keep stuff when I do major engine work. Even small amounts of contamination can cause gasket leaks, no matter what the gasket is sealing. Oil filters are holding back some pretty high pressure.

IMO, ensuring the sealing surface on the filter side of the base gasket is just as important as on the engine side of the gasket. It also allows you to inspect the filter side of the gasket. The square gaskets easily pop out of the groove. Cleaning and inspecting the gasket groove is quick and easy insurance that takes 2 minutes.

I started doing this when the yellow PureOne filters always had paint splatter all over the gasket groove - and dedided to do it on every filter brand I use. Whould anyone here install a filter on an engine base that had contamination or paint splatter all over it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back