new heater core while dash is out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my truck at the shop to replace the evaporator core, fan clutch, and ac blend door. Someone mentioned on here to have them change out the heater core while they're in there. Does the dash have to come out to replace this on a dodge ram? I change the coolant every 5 years, it's due again now actually. I'm a little hesitant because things nowadays is made so cheap that I kind of think the one that's in their is probably better than an aftermarket replacement, or even the oem replacement.

Opionions?

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Do not touch it. I just changed one last year. One [censored] of a job.

Did you read the dash is already out?

Dash already out and HVAC box already split??

Dude... no QUESTION! Go buy an OEM core and enjoy the peace of mine for no additional labor! Ok... maybe a tiny bit extra. Still, this isn't even worth discussion: DO IT!

Heater Core should last the life of the vehicle, but coolant clean / change every five years isn't really often enough for that (2~3 years and I'd say leave it). So I would change it out now while it's easy to do if you plan to keep the vehicle and you are a preventive-maintenance type.

To be honest, I've never had to replace one due to leaks, but certainly I could if I wanted as the heat output does fall pretty significantly as the passages corrode. Not sure if that matters to you in Texas, I know it can get cold there but not so cold that you would miss the output of a new heater core, maybe.

OE heater core can be had for $95 online.
Figure double the parts cost from your mechanic.

If you have any concerns whatsoever, take the plunge and do it.
You will only have regrets later if you opt not to and then it goes on you.

This is a peace of mind decision.
Is $200 plus install while the dash is removed worth it for the peace of mind?

Your call...

As I said in your other thread, I regretted not replacing the heater core in my 2001 Ram when the evaporator sprung a leak, as the heater core sprung a leak less than 2 years later. Your respose was you thought heater core leaks were due to lack of coolant maintenance. That wasn't my case and it's the only heater core I've ever had to replace but do / think as you wish, it's your vehicle, I don't understand why you're asking again after the replies you got in your prior thread.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I don't understand why you're asking again after the replies you got in your prior thread.

Because its M.o.M.

If the dash is already out and it's a straightforward replacement - yes x 100000! But as others have said, OE ONLY!

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Trav
All opened up, do it! OE only.

X2!

x3

If you use some Chong Wang Doo brand, you may as well keep the old one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back