Bendix vs Raybestos Pro rotors for 97 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been experiencing ever worsening pulsating brakes for the past 55k miles (it started with being tailgated by a new unloaded fullsize truck descending Sonoma Pass). The pulsating happens with harder braking from high speed (If I brake hard from 80 mph, the pulsating stays until the car stops; when braking slowly/moderately from 50 mph there's no pulsating), or descending hills, mountains.
At the excellent advice of members here, I bought a dial indicator and found 3 disks had runout of 0.001", while the front driver side rotor had 0.003" of runout. Nissan specs a max runout 0f 0.003" for the front. I took it off and noticed the casting/machining wasn't perfect, the rotor faces were of uneven, but compensating thickness (if you were to rotate it, you would see the vents had a runout). I also noticed a pad imprint that would bind as I slid a finger along the rotor face. I cleaned the hub and rotor mounting to the point I wouldn't feel irregularities (wire wheel, 500 grit sandpaper and aluminum foil), took a DA sander to the rotor faces and indexed it on the hub to where I got to a little bellow 0.001".
It didn't make a difference to the pulsation, as I imagine any thickness variation that developed because of the runout isn't just goint to go away.
Using the emergency brake at high speed doesn't cause "handle pulsation".
Anyway, sorry the long story.

I bought some old stock Bendix import quiet pads already, as the old pads need to be replaced.
I'm leaning towards buying new rotors. Carid has Bendix PRT1441 or Raybestos Pro 96065R for about $40.
Any opinions on which one is better?

Raybestos. Bendix was one of my favorite brand but like a lot of other brands they have cheapened the product, I have noticed early pulsation with their rotors even when properly installed with minimal runout.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel

Ummm, don't do that.

Doing that ^^ did point to the front rotor(s) as your problem though, though you could have done it at lower speeds, not to mention your measurements already told you where the problem lies.

To your question, I just put Raybestos rotors (and Wagner pads) on my wife's '14 Fusion so it's probably not comparable, plus other than first impressions (they seem just fine), we can't comment on longevity, etc, etc.

Thanks Trav!
Originally Posted By: Trav
Raybestos. Bendix was one of my favorite brand but like a lot of other brands they have cheapened the product, I have noticed early pulsation with their rotors even when properly installed with minimal runout.

Thanks, I paid close attention not to lock the rear wheels.
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: zorobabel

Ummm, don't do that.

Doing that ^^ did point to the front rotor(s) as your problem though, though you could have done it at lower speeds, not to mention your measurements already told you where the problem lies.

To your question, I just put Raybestos rotors (and Wagner pads) on my wife's '14 Fusion so it's probably not comparable, plus other than first impressions (they seem just fine), we can't comment on longevity, etc, etc.

Thanks, I wasn't looking at spending that much on rotors. The ~ $40 was for both rotors.
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
www.oscaroparts.com has Brembo rotors for Nissan/Infiniti cars for less than $50 each. Still made in China though. Last time I checked Bendix was sourcing from India.

Get rotors that are coated. Centric Premium and Wagner E-coated rotors are the best ones to get
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back