Scion IA tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the car but hate the fact no other manufacture but OE equipped tire available 185/60/16

I would do 195/55-16 just for the availability of different tires alone...They're a slightly smaller diameter and sidewall but there are many tires that you'd actually want to buy in that size.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Changing over to 195 / 55 / 16 , would my speedometer be off?

The 195/55-16 is about 1% smaller in diameter so the speedo difference would be very slight if any...in my case, going to a slightly larger diameter size actually corrected the speedo so YMMV.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: Richie
Not sure what OEM is but Toyo Proxes are available.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...tnum=86HR6PXA27

TireRack says those are the OEM tires.

also the only tire Discount has in that size..

I tried a Little Latteral searching, since that car is really a rebadged Mazda 2, I tried the last MY the Mazda 2 was available in the US(2014).. used a 185/55R15... so no love there...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
185-60-16 = 24.74* OE
195-55-16 = 24.44
205-55-16 = 24.88*** best match if they don't rub on the struts or anywhere else.

and according to Discount Tire's Calculator, the 205/55 r16's would make your speedo around half a MPH slow @65. ie: when the speedo shows 65mph, you'd really be going 65.4mph still not bad, if it clears everything...

and they show a whole range of tires in that size..

I currently run 205s on my '13 Accent commuter module and I would rather run 195 OE-size tires vs. the wider tires...so it might be a preference and more application-specific decision as to what you want or can put on it. To my eye, 205s will look a bit wide on a Scion iA and you may or may not like that...and any potential hit to MPG.

I rarely bother with speedo readings as in my experience anything up to about 3% larger diameter will work in most cars without effecting the wheel electronics, brake inertia, etc. which I'd be more concerned about. The kind of tire that matches what I'm looking for will always trump a 1 mph speedometer reading error if all else functions normally....and that predicament exists in several subcompact sizes and not just 185/60-16.

thanks for the input much appreciated
smile.gif

oh most definitely the tires 185/60/16 were chosen for economy purpose they are tall and narrow and cut thru snow great.

Well, if you got it while it was still a Scion, they didn't expect anyone to keep the original wheels since they all customize
laugh.gif

No really though, the much more common 195/55-16 would not be a problem at all
smile.gif

Use this handy calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back