Rental car chipped windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have this happen? I think they said they have a damage checker for windshields that looked about the size of a half dollar. Looks like if they notice it's going to cost me probably $700.00 now instead of $100.00 cause I don't get the deposit back and I'll have to pay for them to put a new windshield in. What a joke, I'm just going to start handing out 100 dollar bills everywhere I go.

Id say if you include the crack it's about the size of a quarter, but the impact area is only like 1/4" in diameter.

If you use your own credit card for rental typically they carry insurance to varying degree on rental. Do you have glass protection yourself on your own insurance? Your auto insurance also covers rentals , ask.

The rental agencies are concentrating on any damage in order to increase revenue. It a scam

I got nabbed by Enterprise for something that was a assembly fault and not caused by accident. It was a pain to resolve.

Not only will you be charged for the damage but also for loss of revenue while the vehicle is out of service. I hope you used a credit card that has benefits that will help you. My $700 bill was taken care of after months of back and forth. The only thing not covered was diminished value

Talk to your insurance agent as well. They will confirm this scam.

I swear dude, you have the worst luck of any member on this website. I would get one of those repair kits and fix it myself if I knew they would charge me to fix or replace it.

I hope you paid for the entire rental with a Visa credit card and declined the rental company's coverage.

In that case, you can call your credit card company and have them connect you with the Auto CDW people.

Get the crack repaired before you return it? Cost $40 or less and only minutes or less to fix a crack around here. I'd rather pay the $40 or so than have to worry about the hassle of credit card or an insurance claim.

Luckily through my work, I can rent vehicles (national/enterprise) that automatically includes the loss damage waiver and liability protection no extra cost. I still take a walk around video of the car with my phone until the final charge hits my credit card.

I will start a new thread if its needed.

Few questions,
- Everyone says credit card has auto insurance coverage. Any time I have tried using that I was told that it is a secondary coverage. (I have tried Chase Freedom, Costco AmEx, AmEx Blue Cash and Discover. I have gotten the same answer for all of them.) Since my auto insurance does not cover rental, they ask what insurance coverage I would have? Hence, every time, I end up buying their insurance, primarily because I do not want a headache if anything happens.
(I don't rent that often so I don't mind some 10-20 just for the insurance but will happily save if I know more.)

- Somebody above mentioned that hopefully, OP didn't buy their insurance. Is it the case that their insurance does not cover the windshield?

I never really understood the concept.

Again, if this is going to hijack OP's thread, I will make another thread so that it is sorted out.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn

Few questions,
- Everyone says credit card has auto insurance coverage. Any time I have tried using that I was told that it is a secondary coverage. (I have tried Chase Freedom, Costco AmEx, AmEx Blue Cash and Discover. I have gotten the same answer for all of them.) Since my auto insurance does not cover rental, they ask what insurance coverage I would have? Hence, every time, I end up buying their insurance, primarily because I do not want a headache if anything happens.
(I don't rent that often so I don't mind some 10-20 just for the insurance but will happily save if I know more.)

- Somebody above mentioned that hopefully, OP didn't buy their insurance. Is it the case that their insurance does not cover the windshield?

Again, if this is going to hijack OP's thread, I will make another thread so that it is sorted out.

I was under the impression that if you only have liability car insurance in the US , then your credit card would be come primary instead of secondary. If you have full coverage that extends to rentals, then your car insurance is primary. Credit card would become primary overseas. There are a few traveling oriented credit cards that offer primary coverage in the US.

It was raining so it's possible the water beads disguised the chip and I missed it. Called my insurance and they don't cover rental cars Apparently that's something that wasn't added on. It does cover me as far as comprehensive liability is concerned, so that's good. Of course my deductible is $500

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn

Few questions,

Ultimately you need to read the fine print of the CDW, but MOST do act as primary insurance if you don't have any other forms of insurance. The rental companies will try to scare you into buying their coverage because that's how they make profit.

In order for the CDW to act as primary insurance, you need to do exactly what the fine print states. This usually means you decline ALL of the rental company's coverage, and your own auto policy does not include rental coverage. You must also pay for 100% of the rental cost with the covered credit card.

NOW, keep in mind that the CDW is ONLY for collision damage! It does not cover bodily damage, property damage, or personal theft. It's really only good for minor collisions like someone dented the door, you rip the front bumper off due to a parking bump, or in this case a rock chip on the windshield.

If you are in a rental, only have the CDW, and get into a huge t-bone wreck at an intersection that kills the other driver and it's your fault, then you are truly screwed. (although your personal auto insurance might cover the non-collision aspects of it, depends on the policy)

The same goes for: you rent a car with only CDW, and then your bag of $20K work laptops is stolen from the vehicle while you're inside a restaurant. The CDW won't cover this.

If you don't rent often, you might be better off asking your insurance agent to add rental coverage for the time you are on your vacation or whatever. It is usually cheaper than the rental company's coverage and would have better customer service.

So bottom line: The CDW will protect you from damage claims, and that's it. But since most rental horror stories involve the rental company trying to go after customers for dents or scratches, then it provides adequate coverage for that type of thing. I would recommend you look up the number of the claims admin for your CDW and just call them one day and chat. They'll tell you exactly what to do to be covered.

The rain drops completely disguise the chip, so it was probably there and I missed it. Oh well it is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rental car companies like Enterprise will not find the dent/scratch/chip over the ten previous renters who got the insurance. They don't look very hard, at all. Then when the 11th guy comes along and declines it they suddenly find everything wrong.

It is what it is. Call your credit card company already.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Anyone have this happen? I think they said they have a damage checker for windshields that looked about the size of a half dollar. Looks like if they notice it's going to cost me probably $700.00 now instead of $100.00 cause I don't get the deposit back and I'll have to pay for them to put a new windshield in. What a joke, I'm just going to start handing out 100 dollar bills everywhere I go.

I have had enterprise ask for $3200 in damages , upon challenge reduced to $400/

what rental car company?

Imo a chip the size that's on the car is what I would call wear and tear. I have one on my trucks windshield, been there probably 4 years hasn't gotten any bigger.

OK - So...you rented a car, and declined the car rental company insurance?

Without knowing if either your credit card or insurance company provided coverage?

And then you turned it in without knowing if it was damaged?

Do I have this right?

Take it to a glass place and have them fix it for cash before you take it back, an extra day rental plus the repair cost is probably cheaper than what the rental place will take you for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back