Hmmn, a plastic CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're takeaway from the video is the observance that his 3D printed example is plastic?!?!?

That is as sensible as titling you post:
"Hmmn, a green CVT"

The device was patented in 1994, why arn't car makers using it? After a 10 minute spiel, the drill is applied and ball bearings start rolling out of it. 'SOkay, 'salright, a dab of hot glue fixes it. Below it, is a 3 minute video calling the guy an imposter.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You can 3D Print a 155 cannon but what happens when you fire it. No we just aren't there yet!

But we're getting closer and closer.
Here's a somewhat dated article about Boeing 3d printing structural titanium components for the 787 Dreamliner.
Dreamliner 3d titanium
This is really neat stuff.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The device was patented in 1994, why arn't car makers using it?

The output shaft velocity on such a ratcheting drive is not steady. It's rotational speed varies depending on the position of the mechanism. It's not a viable drive for propulsion without some form of ability to smooth out the output.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
You can 3D Print a 155 cannon but what happens when you fire it. No we just aren't there yet!

But we're getting closer and closer.
Here's a somewhat dated article about Boeing 3d printing structural titanium components for the 787 Dreamliner.
Dreamliner 3d titanium
This is really neat stuff.

Yes I worked for Boeing when they built that great idea first airliner they ever built the didn't deliver on time it was 3 years late.

Yes I worked for Boeing when they built that great idea first airliner they ever built the didn't deliver on time it was 3 years late.

This may be true but it's definitely irrelevant.
The discussion is around the capability of 3d printing technology.

The fact that the plane was delivered late has no bearing in the conversation unless it was due to 3d printed parts. And that is not the case.

Have a nice day!
thumbsup2.gif

If I remember correctly, Airbus also said recently they've found that they can 3D-print parts that are lighter, cheaper, faster to produce and require less energy to produce.

And SpaceX and NASA are 3D-printing rocket combustion chambers. The chamber pressures are lower than rifles, but have to be sustained for seconds to minutes at time. Not sure how they'd compare to pressures in a howitzer.

Originally Posted By: emg

If I remember correctly, Airbus also said recently they've found that they can 3D-print parts that are lighter, cheaper, faster to produce and require less energy to produce.

And SpaceX and NASA are 3D-printing rocket combustion chambers. The chamber pressures are lower than rifles, but have to be sustained for seconds to minutes at time. Not sure how they'd compare to pressures in a howitzer.

PSI is a fascinating subject. Honda makes their own CVT, I noticed nissan and the others outsource their CVTs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's pretty easy to have chamber pressure lower than a rifle.

Yeah, but a rocket is still thousands of psi, and getting toward at least the low end of pistol chamber pressures. Plus, as I said, it has to sustain that pressure for seconds to minutes, rather than milliseconds.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Honda makes their own CVT, I noticed nissan and the others outsource their CVTs.

I believe Subaru make their own as well, though they buy in the chains from a European manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back