Anyone remember air florida flight 90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was young but dont remember much about the accident. Learned a lot about it from stepfather who is a pilot. Very sad crash and glad there were heroes thay saved the few lives

I walked into a bodega and all the people in it were oddly silent. They were focused on the Spanish language radio.
One of the guys looked at me and likely immediately concluded that I didn't speak Spanish and said, "A big plane went down in D.C."

edit: That photo is amazing. Where was it taken?

Watched the reporting of the crash on CNN live. One of my first memories from cable tv which I hadn't had that long. Remember John Holliman reporting from the bridge. Some heroic rescues from the the icy water.

Remember this accident well. Mostly I remember Mr. Lenny Skutnik jump into the frozen Potomac to aid a woman too weak to hang on to a rope from a helicopter. Lenny Skutnik was the bravest man of all that day. A much better man than I am. An accident that didn't need to happen. Pilot Error.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Remember this accident well. Mostly I remember Mr. Lenny Skutnik jump into the frozen Potomac to aid a woman too weak to hang on to a rope from a helicopter. Lenny Skutnik was the bravest man of all that day. A much better man than I am. An accident that didn't need to happen. Pilot Error.

Yeah, very stupid pilot and should have been properly de iced and used engine anti ice.

Originally Posted By: Zee09
Yes I do. Sort of forgot about it since many disasters since.

What in the world is that a actual pic of? I bet you photoshopped that
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Zee09
Yes I do. Sort of forgot about it since many disasters since.

What in the world is that a actual pic of? I bet you photoshopped that
smile.gif

It was a fake, done by digital artist Steve McGhee: SNOPES

Originally Posted By: car51
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Yeah, very stupid pilot and should have been properly de iced and used engine anti ice.

And yet, in another thread, we have video of pilots taking off without being de-iced....

Hahhh, definitely looks like the western side of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge...I think this one is the most realistic of this guy's "Apocalypse" art...a lot of his stuff just looks like bad CGI from 15 or more years ago.

Mr. Skutnik was origionallly from my state. I remember being very proud. I'm glad he was able to have a normal life after that as far as I know. Some people have a tough time dealing with that kind of event.

It was a -200.
IIRC, the aircraft had been held awaiting a clearance for a long time after it had been properly squirted with glycol.
IIRC a little more, this flight would have been fine had the crew shoved the loud levers all the way forward during their takeoff run.
They didn't and left the runway with too little airspeed.
A tragic event, but then DCA isn't the greatest airport either.
A combination of errors and miscalculations, as is true of most airline accidents.

The first time I took a train past DC (back in the late 80's) that was the first thing I thought of going over the Potomic. I remembered the news footage vividly as we passed by.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It was a -200.
IIRC, the aircraft had been held awaiting a clearance for a long time after it had been properly squirted with glycol.
IIRC a little more, this flight would have been fine had the crew shoved the loud levers all the way forward during their takeoff run.
They didn't and left the runway with too little airspeed.
A tragic event, but then DCA isn't the greatest airport either.
A combination of errors and miscalculations, as is true of most airline accidents.
The crew did not activate anti-ice measures. The result was engine instrumentaton probes iced over and gave erroneous readings.This led the crew to think they were at full engine power, but in reality the engines were making substantially less. Simply pushing power levers to max when they realized the takeoff run was slow would have saved the plane and passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back