Castrol EDGE TurboDiesel 5W-40 vs Mobile ESP 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that Castrol variety is made in Europe then go for that one all day long. Group IV oils need less viscosity improvers and are more stable than hydrocracked group iii’s like Mobil 1. I know the 0w-30 and the 0w-40 are all group IV’s.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Doesn't that call for 229.52? I'd use whatever is on the approved list. Castrol Edge is on the 229.51 which was the previous spec but not on 229.52. Mobil ESP x3 0w40 is on the 229.52 approved list. Make sure that's what you're getting. Should say 229.52 on the label somewhere.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.52_en.html

2010 Mercedes? No it does not call for 229.52. 229.52 is couple of years old spec. and really not much different from MB229.51

Originally Posted By: nostradamus
If that Castrol variety is made in Europe then go for that one all day long. Group IV oils need less viscosity improvers and are more stable than hydrocracked group iii’s like Mobil 1. I know the 0w-30 and the 0w-40 are all group IV’s.

It’s widely reported to be GTL now … you know better?

Originally Posted By: nostradamus

Castrol 5W40 TD is not Group IV.
Currently castrol offers only two oils in Europe that are true synthetics, or Group IV: Castrol 0W30 LL04 and Castrol 10W60.

MB229.52 has a slightly better resistance to oxidative thickening than the 229.51 spec. For a 2010, unless you run fuel with a biodiesel blended in (like over 2%) or are extending your drain intervals, the 229.51 is fine. When we had a Benz diesel in the fleet (OM642 in a $printer) we got better results with the Valvoline 229.51 approved oil than with the Mobil 229.51...specifically it held up better as far as oxidation was concerned and the Mobil always burned 2 qts between services. At the time, we had no access to any Castrol MB approved product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back