Amsoil dry filter or K&N filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My JK Wrangler has an LS Engine conversion which means it has an 3.5" diameter intake tube. It needs a cone style filter. I have on hand a K&N filter and an Amsoil dry filter. I live in the high desert and the Jeep does spend a lot of time off road and in dusty conditions.

I'd like some thoughts on which filter I should go with.

Thanks!

Is it this?

"" Injen AMSOIL Ea Nano-Fiber Air Filter removes 5 times more dust than traditional cellulose filter media alone and 50 times more dust than wet gauze filter media. The revolutionary Nano -Fiber technology used in Injen AMSOIL Ea filters captures more dirt, holds more dirt and allows better airflow than conventional air filters. It improves engine performance and help engines last longer. "

If so, go with the Amsoil. Throw the K&N in the trash or save it for an old school carb'd engine.

I had a K&N panel filter in my Dodge 2500 for about 300k miles, and cleaned it every 50-60k. The last time took two days to get all the gunk out of it, and I began thinking about how much a waste of time it is to clean an air filter versus simply installing a disposable paper filter. Now I have a paper filter in it, and the turbo seems to take longer to spool, and boost pressure seems lower in equivalent driving conditions to before. People complain about K&N's not filtering well enough, but I never had any high Silicon readings in oil analyses. But my truck is a highway cruiser, not a boony basher, so it doesn't run continuously in dusty conditions.

Now I'm thinking about high performance dry synthetic air filters. Better filtering efficiency coupled with low pressure loss.

Last edited:
Considering enviroment and location i woulf take the dry filter. The k&n will require more maintenance more often.. but do keep it clean oiled and ready to go sealed in a bag so you have a backup for whatevr.

Check out Engine Masters Episode 27 for comparisons on air filters. You need to be revving past 5,000 RPM to pick up any advantages on high flow filters. Watch your tach and decide if you’re there. My two bits.
smile.gif

I've got the Amsoil filter on it now. I'm not so much worried about high flow as I am protecting the engine in the dusty desert environment. I'll probably order the pre-filter sock that goes over it too.

Aren't the new K&N filters dry anyways? I have an AEM CAI on my Genesis and even the filter says K&N, the UOA's come back just fine. Get a pre-filter bag for it and it should help.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
Aren't the new K&N filters dry anyways? I have an AEM CAI on my Genesis and even the filter says K&N, the UOA's come back just fine. Get a pre-filter bag for it and it should help.

Nope.. K&N is oiled.

It could be a AEM Dryflow, which is owned by K&N.

other filter choices... why not consider a BITOG Favorite? Volant filter made by Donaldson?

Dry filter for sure. An exposed element is most likely not best choice for dirt and offroad use. Too much maintenance with the kn they are known to damage sensors and the oil will attract more dust and dirt plugging the filter sooner.

I run an Amsoil air filter in my moms caravan. Seems to work great. Pull it out, reverse blow it out and reinstall.

Look into R2C air filters. Big in the dirt racing world. They seem to make some good stuff. Claiming high efficiencies too.

Im personally an oiled foam guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back