I have never had a garage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
During my 41 years of driving no place that I have lived has had a garage. My vehicles and motorcycles have always been out in the elements. Sun, rain, hail, snow. A garage sounds nice.

How about you guys? Out in the elements? Garage? Pole barn? Car Port?

A garage is the best thing since sliced bread. I love working in the garage when it's snowing or raining out. I find vehicles that are garaged last much longer. I have a portable propane heater I use in the winter which makes working in the cold months actually doable.

I've got more garage space than living space.
smile.gif

We built our house with an attached 2 car, and then I built a 40x60 detached garage a few years later.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
A garage is the best thing since sliced bread. I love working in the garage when it's snowing or raining out. I find vehicles that are garaged last much longer. I have a portable propane heater I use in the winter which makes working in the cold months actually doable.

Yeah, I would probably tackle more repairs with a garage. Working in the hot sun, rain and snow is no fun.

Having a garage is one area a wife will not get involved with and try to re-decorate. You need to invest in a keg cooler for it!!!!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Having a garage is one area a wife will not get involved with and try to re-decorate. You need to invest in a keg cooler for it!!!!

Redecorate, no. Attempt to fill up every bit of open space with junk she's removed from the house and won't let me throw away, yes! I think my only solution is to haul off a few truckloads to the dump without telling her, hope she doesn't notice, and get my workspace back!

No garage, yet. Big dreams though! Nothing like working while the sun is beating down on me, or the rain, or the snow, or the skeeters.

As a kid I pulled an engine, and then later a trans, out in the dooryard. More recently I did a TB on my Camry. Plenty of oil changes, tire rotations, some smaller jobs.

You know what I'd like to have? A paved driveway. Never had one of those either. Thankfully they are reasonably flat.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Garage for me:

Jealous. Pure jealous here. How about some sour grapes: bet that concrete is hard and cold. Darn it, I don't even see cracks for screws and parts to drop in it, and it's well lit to boot.

I live in a cold and snowy area.
Unbelievable how many use the garage to store "junk", while their $50k SUVs/cars are outside in the elements.
I have a 2 car garage 22" wide by 25" deep with 2 x 9' garage doors and it gets used for the two SUVs we have.

I have a 20x22 garage. I wish it was bigger, but I have plenty of room to pull one car in and work on it. I've been continually working on it and improving it since I moved in 3 years ago. I may build another garage on my property in the future.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Unbelievable how many use the garage to store "junk", while their $50k SUVs/cars are outside in the elements.
I have a 2 car garage 22" wide by 25" deep with 2 x 9' garage doors and it gets used for the two SUVs we have.

This blows my mind. I hate seeing that too!

Last edited:
I have a garage , but our house here in Lincoln Ne was built in 1942 and all of the houses here in this neighborhood were build in the 40's 50's so they have 1 car garages. Dad worked ,mom stayed home with the kids and families did not need more than 1 vehicle so 1 car garage was good enough. We bought our house in 98 and I have never ever parked a vehicle in our garage. It is storage for tools, generator lawn mower, snow blower and assorted totes full of junk. The garage is so old that it has the big heavy doors that swing out. I am fine with parking our vehicles outside. Plenty of trees around so they are shaded most of the time. Both our Sonata and Tuscan have hail damage, but they still run great, Have not had our Forester through a Nebraska summer yet so I expect hail damage will be coming forit as well. I do have a long solid concrete driveway that will fit about 6-7 vehicles easily and gives me amble space to do mechanical work.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

This blows my mind. I hate seeing that too!

Why? Not your car to care about.

Plus it's probably better for the vehicle. Unless if the garage is kept at exterior temperature, the temp cycling is probably going to help road salt do it's usual trick.

^ This.

I have a lot of this in my subdivision. And every house has at least a partial if not a full basement to store junk.

The only reason I keep my daily-driver outside is because my 2-car garage already has two cars in it.

The previous home I lived in and now rent to my synagogue to a Jewish Syrian refugee family has what I think is a very small attached two car garage. It is 17'11" wide and 19'6" deep. But my wife and I parked our cars in it and had the 4X8 harbor Freight folding trailer against the wall. My new house has a larger garage and a separate metal building where oil changes and repairs take place.

frown.gif
That is me
I have many garages and barns and my cars always sit outside.
But- my cars don't make me money but all of that stuff in those garages does.
So I don't fret much over it.
Many decades ago when I was a teenager the family garage was a place to get your car screwed up.
Didn't like that either.

We have had a 1 car garage for the last 30 years, HOWEVER, single car garages can become sheds especially when the drive has sunk 5" at the entrance to the garage. My Wife's 11 Camry has never seen the garage. The new house plan has a 24 x 24 attached. Can't wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back