`97 Dodge Ram Steering component replacement parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 Ram 1500 4x4 needs front end work. I always kept the zerks greased, I am surprised only 80,000 miles and needs:

- left outer tie rod end
- track bar
- center link

I am thinking it might be easiest to change out the rest while I am doing the job:
- right tie rod
- left inner
- steering stabilier
- 2 adjusting sleeve, real rusty

I still need to check ball joint, but I suspect/hope they are good.

Is Moog problem solver the way to go or is there a preferred brand? I will most like be buying from rockauto. I don't want to put junk on and waste my time redoing the job again.

Since all this work only effects toe and steering wheel center, I will be aligning myself with a tape measure.

Last edited:
Chrysler Corp. really cheaps out on front ends components in general, The '94-'02 Ram 4x4 trucks were some of the worst.

Yes, GM used some sorry parts in their '88-'99 4x4 trucks.....Keepin' it fair!

If you use actual Problem Solver parts....You'll be just fine if you keep them greased. Not every Moog part is Problem Solver.

I would do everything, since you have it mostly apart anyways.

If you plan on keeping the truck, I would tackle this list all at once:

Front hubs
Front axle u-joints
All steering components including adjusting sleeves
Upper and lower ball joints
Track Bar
Stabilizer
Shocks at 80K wouldn't hurt either

As far as parts, Rock Auto carries some NICE looking Pro-Forged brand components. Also, the Mevotech TTX line looks extremely well built, and I don't condone the use of Mevotech for anything.

+1 on the Pro Forged stuff. From the parts I have used they are a high quality well made part.
I gave up on Moog problem solver included, they have been putting out some low quality parts labeled problem solver.

The Pro Forged boot quality is good, they use an excellent anti corrosion protective coating on the parts and fasteners, the fit and is excellent. They are made in Taiwan but that is not a negative any more.

Thanks guys! The shocks and U-joints were replaced as they failed years ago. Hubs were changed as well backing plates.

Weighing my options if I am keeping it or selling. It also needs full exhaust, a dashboard and the battery is due (9 years old).

Also the brake line running to the rear axle will need to be replaced again soon and the fuel line will need replacing too due to rust.

I have till Aug. to decide as that is when inspection is due.

Basically I am looking at ~$1300 in parts and the work I can do myself. I hear the dash replacement is an all day job. FUN!!!

Last edited:
Are the leading arms to the front axle in good shape? You should pry near the bushing and check. I'm not sure of pressing in new bushings or buying new arms is the ideal method.

There is another option to using Moog Problem Solver. Some business specialize in performance parts for your Dodge, and they might make something special that is more durable and might even be less expensive. I have seen Dodge 4x4 sway bar links that are made this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if you need ball joints. Be careful which ones you buy, some put the zerk fitting in a stupid location and interferes with the ability to grease the fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back