2018 Audi A6 rental

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father, brother and I just took our annual trip to see a Braves game. This time I sprung for a "luxury" level rental with Enterprise (Cadillac XTS or similar per website) hoping that I would have my pick at the counter. I went to pick up the rental and sure enough they offered an XTS, boring. Sure, the XTS is a nice car, but I was wanting something a little more sporty. I inquired about a Charger HEMI we saw on the lot and they said we could have it but turns out it wasn't available. They offered a Mustang, I asked if it was the 5.0 and the guy looked at the key fob to check...FACE PALM, haha. He just had me walk out to the lot and check for myself, it wasn't. I did see an A6 on the lot and asked if we could have that, they said that would be fine.

GREAT CAR! I am already a VW/Audi fan and this car only made that stronger. Ours was a 2018 with the 2.0T and the 7 speed dual clutch. I could go on and on about this car but I'll keep it short.

First impressions are the sense of solidity. From the moment you step on the gas you feel the smooth and effortless power from the 2.0T which gets its power sent to the wheels from the 7 speed dual clutch, a nice match for sure. The shifts are quick and incredibly smooth and programmed to be very responsive. While briskly accelerating I also noticed how quiet the cabin is, yet they let in enough noise to notice the OH SO NICE exhaust cracks and burbles when it shifts. This may have been my favorite part.

Materals used in the cabin were top notch. I did notice a fair amount of fake leather used on side bolsters and other areas of the seat, my Accord even uses more of the real stuff than that, however it all felt of good quality and Im sure will last a long time.

One other thing to note, while it is very capable of accelerating briskly it returns GREAT gas mileage. I was getting 36 MPG on the highway, and passing is a breeze. It would drop down to 6th gear and RPM's would hover around 2000 and you could shoot past whoever you needed too.

I was quite impressed overall, if I had to complain about one thing it would be the sound system. It wasn't bad at all, I would just expect more for $50,000. It's a 10 speaker system with a subwoofer, yet the stock system in my 2012 Accord sounds better.

That is all, enjoy the pics.

These are nice cars, but I find them underpowered with the base 2.0T engine, considering it weighs close to 4k lbs. $50K will get you a lightly used CPO S6 which is significantly more lively.

Great looking car both inside and outside. I rented a Q5 last year for a week and it was a blast. Only issue I have with audi/vw is my past experience with my old jetta left a really bad taste in my mouth hence I just don't trust the brand anymore. Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted By: nap
I find the dashboard not more inspiring than a vintage Camry....

Spoken like a man who hasn't been within 50 feet of a new Audi!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Spoken like a fanboy defending his idol....

Audi does a pretty nice job on their interiors. Last week we looked at a 4 series Gran Sport, A5 and Regal Sportback. We both agreed the interior in the Audi was much nicer than the BMW, but the Regal was just as nice! Added bonus the Buick cost $20k less.

Call me what you want, but I buy what I like, and I don't [censored] all over other's choices or preferences.

The fact of the matter is that the Audi A6 is nicer than any Toyota. If Toyota had world-class materials and design to rival major luxury manufacturers, why would they need Lexus?

Audi makes the nicest interiors in the business. My opinion.

I prefer this analog version of the dash gauges over the new virtual one in higher end spec models.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
How many miles did you put on the car?How many days was the rental? What was the total cost of the rental?

I put on about 800 miles in 2 days.

Anyone who has been in a current model Audi product knows you don't have a clue what you are talking about, move on.

The Regal designer used a theme, look at the front fascia and the lines around the LCD screen and the door interior details and the steering wheel and they all go together as a family of lines and curves.
Another example of themed design is the current Acura TLX, they used an arch as the main element (from the A in Acura) and they consistently used it from the alloy wheels to the interior design elements.
This is beautiful when done properly but terrible when not - like that old Taurus made all of ovals.
It is also risky as it tends to polarize buyer perception - you either love the design or you hate it, there’s no middle ground where you find it “Ok” or at least “not objectionable”.
By contrast, most cars from the current crop of germans are a hodge podge of disparate elements that don’t rhyme together.

The fact of the matter is that the Audi A6 is nicer than any Toyota. If Toyota had world-class materials and design to rival major luxury manufacturers, why would they need Lexus?

It’s not about the materials but the design.
Going to Toyota, their current Camry has a themed interior design that I find to be better than many of their Lexuses. It just look unitary, like the same designer worked on all the elements and made sure that they match each other and work as a whole and match the car’s identity. The materials are a different story.

I literally said "materials and design."

I had no objection to the materials. Why do you have to bring them in? As a strawman argument?

Vw/Audi does offer a nice interior. Not everything about it is perfect, but it gives the masses what appeals to them in terms of quality.

I felt that our vw rabbit interior was nicer than the A3 of the time. In other words, the whole VAG does it well.

Ive never encountered a reliability issue personally. My brother is on his second golf now, we loved ours, an Audi would be a logical choice if we went back to that sort of a vehicle. Ive always wanted an A5 coupe since they came out.

The SUVs, meh. Sedans/wagons are great.

I did front and rear brakes on a 2013 A6 recently. It had the 3.0 though. This is one car that I can see myself spending money to own, it was truly an amazing car on every level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back