2018 Nissan frontier 4.0 DI. Oil & filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
New vehicle. Dealership gave me a few free oil changes with vehicle. But if all they are going to put in it is dino bulk I'll just change it myself. It specs a 5w30sn oil. The factory oil change has been moved to a 6 months / 5000 Mile change. Nissan filters check out ok ? Is there a 5w30 sn of choice on this great site for a DI motor ? Yeah I said motor.
shocked.gif
. Thanks guys and gals , Gawardawg

I run Pennzoil or SuperTech in my nissans. Also you can get bulk OEM Nissan filters under 5$ on eBay. Otherwise I try to use Wix or a Wix made filter (Napa, Carquest, O'Reilly's)

Oil is oil with the proper ratings from a quality source and the most important thing about a filter is that it doesn't fail.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
What happened to the Honda you just bought?
. The Honda is a 2013 . I bought it new back then .

It’s definitely not direct injected. Same setup as my 2016. The same pretty much unchanged 4.0 that’s been used since 2005 or so.

Originally Posted By: bbartow
I didn't think the Frontier 4.0 was direct injected
. I don't know when Nissan went to the DI in the 4.0 frontier , but it is DI. I tried to search it and find the year it went DI but but dead ends. Wiki it and it never gave a year but said the vq40de motor did have DI models . My 2018 owners manual has it in it .

I apologize . My first retraction. It seems It has port injection. I'm ecstatic about that. I read the line of it comes with a Nissan Direct ignition system and in my feeble mind read injection. Sucks getting old. Thanks guys Gawardawg

Your truck doesn't have direct injection and is happy with whatever API SN/ILSAC GF-5 oil in a 5W-30 viscosity that you feed it. Dealer filters are good quality and easily work for the recommended 5,000 mile drain interval.

With the 4.0 on my 2015 Xterra I have run 5w-30 QSUD and Kendall 5w-30 semi-synthetic. Both have worked well.You do not need synthetic in that engine but if you prefer it QSUD would be a good choice. As for the filters I have run Nissan, Mahle, Bosch Distance Plus and Baldwin. All did the job.

You can use any 5w-30 conventional you want, and note, that if the manual wording is the same as in years past, it doesn't actually have to be GF-5. So, if you do choose synthetic, which is certainly not necessary, your options are opened up and you could use an E6 or a C3 5w-30 with an SN approval.

Good post Garak. I have 229k miles on my Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ running all kinds of oils in it. It does well with Valvoline white bottle 5w30, Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Castrol gold bottle 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30 and Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30.. plus Federated Auto full synthetic 5w30 made by Warren Distribution. My VQ doesn't leak or consume/burn any oil to this day. Great motor in the car. And a very, very good motor in Gawardawgs truck.

Thanks guys. I think my Manuel lists Nissan recommends Nissan 5w30 Ester SN . But then states of to use a equivalent rated sn . I think that's how it reads.

Last edited:
Well Gawardawg you really don't need the Nissan ester oil in the truck... Any API SN approved oil is just fine. Synthetic or conventional 5w30.

If you had a 3.7 HR motor with the DLC coating on the cylinder walls then I would say it could be just about an idea to run the Nissan ester oil. But even then in all reality you don't have to do that for that motor either. I would say a good full synthetic would be a good oil for that motor.

I agree with bbhero. The ester oil is not necessary. You can run any major brand of oil in that truck with no worries.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well Gawardawg you really don't need the Nissan ester oil in the truck... Any API SN approved oil is just fine. Synthetic or conventional 5w30.

Absolutely. They don't even push the ester stuff up here, given that the dealer prices on oil changes are expensive enough as it is.
wink.gif

yes i had to read twice my 11 has direct ignition as well, the revised models will prolly have direct injection, alone you can have it but with port also it would be great. in your warmer area a 10-30 group III fake synthetic as most are would be better using less viscosity improvers, unless you want the best like Redline a true Ester based synthetic that could easily do 10,000 changes unless you drive all short trips

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Good post Garak. I have 229k miles on my Nissan Altima 3.5 VQ running all kinds of oils in it. It does well with Valvoline white bottle 5w30, Castrol Magnatec 5w30, Castrol gold bottle 5w30, Havoline Pro DS 5w30 and Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30.. plus Federated Auto full synthetic 5w30 made by Warren Distribution. My VQ doesn't leak or consume/burn any oil to this day. Great motor in the car. And a very, very good motor in Gawardawgs truck.

Couldn't agree more. We are on our second VQ40de. 10 years in a 2005 Xterra and over four years now in the 2014 Frontier. Ours too have run just fine on any oil I've tried. Still don't add oil between OCIs and still no leaks. I am switching to a 10W30 on the the next OCI though. Owner's manual idicates it's an acceptable lube and I want to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back