Whats in Your Roadside Motorcycle Tire Repair Kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been riding w/o a tire repair kit since I got the new Guzzi late last summer. Need to get another one together. My previous kit which mysteriously disappeared when the Ducati was towed after the wreck contained sticky ropes, sticky rope tool, Leatherman multitool, head mountable LED light for night time, Aerostich mini compressor, and couple other things I forget at the moment.

What's in your kit?

My Superglide has spoked wheels with tubed tires. I’m pretty much out of luck except for my AAA card.

They come with tire repair parts now?

Aside from a goldwing, and the ones I create myself from my own tools - every other motorcycle tools kit Ive had (and Ive had at least 20) consists of -

An incomplete low buck assortment of minimum quality tools crammed into a .1MM thick vinyl pouch with a bad snap.
Some are designed in such a a way that they nest within each other for leverage- like the Axle nut for chain tightening.
All are seemingly stamped out of pot metal so soft that they bend with he first use.
Ive seen Wisconsin cheese harder than most motorcycle tools.

All this goodness is typically hidden away somewhere nearly inaccessible on a rainy dark night when there is problem with the bike.

UD

I keep the sticky strings, and the T-handled tools (rasp and rope inserter). The GL1800 tires, especially the rear tire, can be a tough customer.

I also keep a small tube of rubber cement, as it seems to me, it acts as a lubricant when inserting the strings. It might also help to seal the edges of the puncture as well.

A Leatherman multi-tool as well.

For air, I bought a cheap Campbell Hausfield 12 volt compressor, and took it out of the case, reduced it down to its guts. It now easily fits inside of a 1 quart freezer bag, with room to spare. I extended the power cord so it can pump up the front tire, while plugged into a cigarette style outlet in the trunk.

It can inflate a tire from completely flat to 40 pounds, in a few minutes.

Of course, you can always get roadside assistance and a cell phone. My buddy had to go that route, when he picked up a 3/8" bolt in his rear tire, that he couldn't even pull out with a Leatherman multi-tool... and the tire only had 38 miles on it.

Mostly breakdown insurance and a cell phone seems to be necessary for modern bikes and cars.
Many cars don't even carry a spare tire, not even a get-you-home donut, today. Instead they have an instant repair goo and a mini pump many owners don't have a clue how to use.

Claud.

I have a fancy plug tool & plugs, a small compressor, my AMA card, and a cellular phone. That and the tool kit plus a couple extras are all I’ve ever had. For quite a bit of my riding, I didn’t even have the plugs & compressor, just Ride-On in the tires.

I have been very fortunate to have not needed tire repairs. I _have_ needed screwdrivers and an Allen wrench or two.

I forgot to mention, I ride a lot in areas of Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina and West Virginia that really don't have cell service, and ... not even with Verizon. I try to be as self reliant as possible.

When my buddy totaled his motorcycle on the Cherohala... I was the only one who had cell service at the scene of the accident, and mine was bad at best.

I use Ride On tire sealant in mine which should negate the need for a plug kit. Basically anything big enough to deflate the tire won't be repairable anyway.

But I do keep a plug kit and a air compressor in case.

3 Co2s, plug and patch kit, small leatherman like tool, gloves, shop rag, and a $20 bill.

I carried a Progressive Suspension repair kit for years until I went through all the plugs, really liked that style of plug, can't find them anymore.

I would recommend a practice fix on a tire you are about to change for anyone who hasn't done it before. My first roadside repair didn't seal and I lost all my co2. Luckily, I had an old style inflator that used bb gun cartridges and Kmart a quarter mile away. You don't get much in those cartridges.

When on tubeless I have a tubeless repair kit, when on tube tyres, tyre levers and patch kit. This is for the same bike - I have 2 sets of wheels.

On vacation rides I always have a cheap tire plug kit, can of "Fix A Flat" sealant and Tiny Air Compressor.
Non Vacation rides I think just a can of sealant.

Last edited:
For every day use it's a gummy worm plug kit, a Moto Pumps Airshot compressor (I have one under each bike seat), a pressure gauge, and a pocket knife for cutting off the ends of the plug.

If I'm going places, and I'm on my bike which still runs an innertube in front I add a bunch more [censored] (tire levers, rim protectors, bead buddies, patch kit, liquid soap). I guess if I were expecting much unpaved riding I'd throw in a tube.

When I'm commuting I can plug a tire faster than roadside assistance will get to me. But I think they'd get to me before I could patch a tube solo roadside. So if I get a front innertube puncture in local riding, I'll call roadside assistance.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
All this goodness is typically hidden away somewhere nearly inaccessible on a rainy dark night when there is problem with the bike.

Other than on my Africa Twin, it's always been readily available under the seat. On the AT I've got a few small things here, more over there, and the rest in my luggage. Yeah finding what I need on a rainy night may not be fun.

To add to this a little, they make inflator nozzles that use CO2 cartridges similar to those made for pneumatic rifles and pistols. One could carry that instead of an air pump.

Unfortunately, I don't go on long rides much. I'm mostly commuting to and from work, which is about 6 miles each way, so I don't carry anything. I do have Ride-On sealant in both tires though (this was partially because I replaced the tires on myself and wanted to use the Ride-On for dynamic balancing).

I have a small patch kit which uses the sticky rubber worms, with the reamer and insertion tool and a small 12V inflator for longer trips.

The new Harley tires have a stiff enough sidewall that I can limp home with no air in the tire. That being said, I use Ride On tire balancer/sealer. Amazing stuff. Go to their website and watch the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back