John Deere Hygard- Better alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Ztrak 720a Commercial mower that uses Hygard high viscosity oil. I have no problem with the Hygard, and I know its a good safe choice.

I have researched this some and found an old post here from 07 and a few posts on other forums, but the question was never really answered. It seems there are J20 compatable fluids that are probably not as good as Hygard, but are there any better.

I just want to know if there is a better choice. I need this mower to last and those Tuff Torque units are very expensive. I don't care about cost. I am not trying to save a buck.

Mine is used strictly for my own property but it gets used hard because there are alot of hills it has to deal with.

I used the hygard in my John Deere Diesel 332 with no problems. It originally came with type F transmission fluid but JD recommended the Hygard as the replacement. It was a 1992 model. After researching other hydro oils I decided to stay with the “safe” Hygard. It’s good stuff.

Last edited:
You can see what Tuff Torque recommend. I don't know which transmission you specifically have. for most, Tuff Torque recommend 5w50 synthetic. For most, most stores don't stock that. Some people on here said they used either Napa or M1 15w50 with good success. And then there is Amsoil Hydrostatic transmission oil 20w50, but then your up to or over the price of the John Deere stuff.

It appears that Tuff Torque MFG. actually recommends JD Hy. Gard as OEM fluid: https://www.tufftorqservices.com/instanc...0Lubricants.pdf

You already acknowledge that some fluids are inferior - BITOG member Jim Allen posted a thread discussing a popular farm store UTF (TSC maybe??) that had lower additive levels compared to OEM products, making him reluctant to use it.

"Equivalent" products are numerous per a Google search. Are products from major oil companies or boutique companies (I.E., Schaeffers, Amsoil) better?? We only have anecdotal evidence. I manage a small JD fleet of ag. and grounds equipment at work and have had no problems with JD fluids (4 decades) - that's my adecdotal input, LOL.

Most people searching for OEM equivalents are looking for less expensive products, not true in your case. Others have personal biases: they hate OEM branded fluids or they are passionate about certain after market products.

Since Tuff Torque recommends JD Hy. Gard, that is what I would use and feel good about. On the other hand, the Schaeffers 315 looks intriguing, LOL: http://www.schaefferoil.com/universal-tr...ASAAEgIhoPD_BwE

My next door neighbor is the general manager of a John Deere construction equipment dealership.

Now, I realize that automatically makes him biased to a certain degree... but he told me that there's no better fluid out there for John Deere products, than John Deere fluid.

He's seen many (bad) end results of people trying to use something different. I have 2 - JD 425 all wheel steer units (one with over 3000 hours) and they only get HyGard.

If you're concerned about longevity, I'd simply reduce the recommended change interval by 25% or so.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
BITOG member Jim Allen posted a thread discussing a popular farm store UTF

Yes, Jim Allen has researched tractor fluids THOROUGHLY!!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My next door neighbor is the general manager of a John Deere construction equipment dealership.

Now, I realize that automatically makes him biased to a certain degree... but he told me that there's no better fluid out there for John Deere products, than John Deere fluid.

He's seen many (bad) end results of people trying to use something different. I have 2 - JD 425 all wheel steer units (one with over 3000 hours) and they only get HyGard.

If you're concerned about longevity, I'd simply reduce the recommended change interval by 25% or so.

The John Deere fluids are excellent, no doubt. I think part of his reasoning has to do with Jim Doe homeowner using walmart non-detergent oil at 500 hour intervals vs. the Deere fluids though. There are plenty of other oils like Rotella that work well.

Amsoil makes a synthetic tractor fluid, but I have not tried it yet.
I may run some in my 2 Deere hydros next go around.
Multi Viscosity so it is recommended for both regular and low vis Hygard applications.

That being said, the oem Deere fluids are of quite good quality!

Last edited:
I went through this many years ago and found, JD Hygard is not expensive by any stretch of the imagination, it is good, as are all JD fluids, and easy to find, so why go anywhere else?
Having said that, JD doesn't make any fluids that I know of, so that means someone is producing it for them and there has to be another brand out there that is the same, maybe even better, but why care, Hygard is all you need.
I usually change my hydro fluid in my tractor every other year, which is probably way too often, but I want it to last and it costs something like $30 a change and that includes the price of a new hydro filter. For a tractor that cost new something like $10K, I'm ok with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back