New Police Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The state of NSW have chosen BMW and Chrysler models to replace the now out of production Australian built Fords and Holdens. I wonder if the other states and New Zealand will follow or whether they'll choose something else.

I'm surprised by the Chrysler a little. Are these popular Police cars in America?

Here in the States, FCA doesn't offer a Chrysler as a patrol vehicle, but rather the Dodge Charger. Same car, different skin. It's pretty much the go-to police car for most departments. Incredibly common.

Very recently, some departments are beginning to move toward SUV-based offerings like the Ford Police Interceptor Utility (fancy name for a Ford Explorer). The versions with the 3.5L Ecoboost are still pursuit-rated, but they all have a much higher cargo capacity compared to a sedan. Apparently, some departments (California Highway Patrol notably) were right at, or over, the weight limit of many of the sedans with their normal load-out in the trunk, vehicle upfit options, and two officers in the car.

The Dodge Charger is a popular police car in the United States. The Ford Explorer and the Ford Taurus are also popular police cars.

Taurus is somewhat popular,buts its going away in a couple years and I hear a lot of those departments have chosen Charger as their replacement.Dodge has also approved Durango for pursuit duty too. Overseas,Chrysler is the name given to most Mopar vehicles....so their Chrysler may be our Dodge...

Here in the States, the Dodge Charger is a popular police car. They choose both the V6 and V8 flavors depending on need. I've been working in NY, near the State Police (highway patrol) and those V8 Chargers really sound great as they fly out of the lot, up the private high speed entrance, and on to the highway. Clearly, they are plenty powerful.

Here in Florida, the State Troopers (highway patrol) have a variety of cars, but it seems the Charger and the Ecoboost V6 Ford Explorer are the most common. I see both operating at incredible speeds. From time to time, I'm flying my Cessna up the Florida coast and a Trooper in a Charger is going about the speed I am. I always laugh and try to fly faster... My plane has a top speed of about 165mph, but I don't always cruise that fast.

As I understand it, police departments make fleet purchases and can get the Charger for under $30,000. That makes it a great deal.

Last edited:
Our dept quit buying chargers and went to Taurus's. Better car, and holding up better than the V6 chargers. Faster and better handling too.

As others have noted, the Charger is widely used in this country these days simply because it's available and also fairly cheap.
Not as durable as the old CVPIs although faster. Many of these cars come to auction needing mechanical work.
These cars also appear to be less forgiving of driver error since I see a lot of them offered at auction as wrecks.
It may simply be a matter of the Charger's greater acceleration allowing the driver to get in over his head more quickly.

FYI: ...and many here know this. It ain't the ~$30,000 + or - for the car.

It's the $80,000 worth of toys (computers, cameras, recording devices, shotgun holder), conversions (fiberglass rear seats, safety cages etc.) and supplies IN the car.

Originally Posted By: Kira
FYI: ...and many here know this. It ain't the ~$30,000 + or - for the car.

It's the $80,000 worth of toys (computers, cameras, recording devices, shotgun holder), conversions (fiberglass rear seats, safety cages etc.) and supplies IN the car.

Of course! But the Charger itself is kind cool, all on it's own. Fast, capable, comfortable.

In Phoenix the cop cars are probably 90-95% Chevy Tahoe's and 5-10% Chevy Impalas.

The highway patrol cars are probably 80% Tahoe's and 20% Ford Explorers.

For fast patrol work the UK forces favor Subaru's and BMW X5's at the moment.
A combination of practicality, whole life costs - closely coupled with reliability, and operator friendliness are behind the purchasing decisions.

Things have moved on since the Fords (UK built Zephyrs), Jaguars and Rovers (Ex Buick V8 powered) I remember from my youth....

Performance, enough space for the equipment, and reliability have always been the main requirements. I would suggest that has always been the case throughout the world for suitable Police cars, with pressure to buy from home manufacturers as well.

Claud.

Last edited:
A senior officer in the Idaho State Police Dept. told me the Ford Mustang "cruiser" he was driving was born out of federal funding. I took him to mean they had no choice in the matter.

That was 1991....when I made an illegal stop on the Interstate to take a picture. He agreed that the mountain was indeed irresistibly beautiful.
Apparently he factored in my promise never to do it again AND my deference to his uniform because he didn't write me a ticket.
He must've been a Chief because he looked like a French Admiral at a State function.

TX-DPS (HP) still have a LOT of Crown Vics on the road.

Some Chargers..... but I see less & less of them.
They are being phased out by Tahoes and Explorers.

Sheriff's offices around here all use Tahoes and Explorers, no cars.

In Iowa it is based on standard use case. Chargers (V-8) are popular for the State Patrol because they are very fast and handle pretty well. A lot of sheriff's offices and municipal police departments will use Explorers or Tahoes for storage capacity and capability for transports.

Unmarked specialty vehicles vary quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: Claud
A combination of practicality, whole life costs - closely coupled with reliability, and operator friendliness are behind the purchasing decisions.

Things have moved on since the Fords (UK built Zephyrs), Jaguars and Rovers (Ex Buick V8 powered) I remember from my youth....

Performance, enough space for the equipment, and reliability have always been the main requirements. I would suggest that has always been the case throughout the world for suitable Police cars, with pressure to buy from home manufacturers as well.

Claud.

It's sad that the UK has no 'domestic' cars capable of police work...well at least they have the 'Royal Family'.....

Just sold my detective pkg crown vic other day, Sad to see here go but needed a pickup for business reasons.

Here in Oklahoma it's mainly Chargers, tahoes, Explorers. Impalas/Crown vics/Caprices are around but very rare. But I was SHOCKED to see a OHP dodge ram controlling traffic other day !!!

My town still has a TON of vics driving around !!

Dave

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: Claud

Claud.

It's sad that the UK has no 'domestic' cars capable of police work...well at least they have the 'Royal Family'.....

I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. Before all the UK cars disappeared, they didn't have a very good reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back