Generator break in iGen2200 Westinghouse

New Westinghouse iGen 2200 on the way what’s everyone’s view on break in procedure load no load vering loads. Will be filling with Amsoil Small engine oil and VPracing SEF during break in and storage. Will be used majority time camping and possible power outage but them are few and rare lately.

I myself would break it in with semi synthetic and dump the oil at 15 mins of run time and after 2 hours run time. You have the most damage done during this time when the rings are knocking off the high peaks of the cross-hatching. Then put Amsoil in at 4 hrs. Run a load with a space heater, run a light load with a lamp the first 15 minutes. If it has a filter just pull it and drain it on these oil changes. Also if you want all the oil out of it use 2 ball point pens to open the anti- drain back valve on the bottom and top and the oil will pour right out.

Last edited:
Hair dryers make good loads as they have fan-only, low- and high heat settings. I'd use eco-mode then have it up to "full" demand at 5 min. An 1875 watt hair dryer is close enough to "full" on a 2200 rated machine.

I ran my WEN 2kW inv gen per the manual. I might have changed the initial fill of German Castrol 0W-30 a little early, out of convenience. Came out looking better than expected. No shiny particles. No oil consumption so far.

I broke it in using an 1500W ceramic heater. The low setting is 1200W.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Hair dryers make good loads as they have fan-only, low- and high heat settings. I'd use eco-mode then have it up to "full" demand at 5 min. An 1875 watt hair dryer is close enough to "full" on a 2200 rated machine.

This, or a space heater with a low and high speed setting.

I run them through 1 tank on dino-varying the load - then dump the sump and switch to synthetic.

One poster had a yamaha 2K that took hundreds of hours to break in properly - very unusual, as I know other that did not have that problem - but I guess he got there eventually and is now happy.

Get a magnetic drain plug in there if you can - its all the filtration you've got and it will have gunk on it.

UD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko_lwhe8Bgo

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I never use synthetic in any generator.

Always just plain ol' 15W-40 tractor oil.

I used GC, because I had a stash of it from a previous car. I was kind of amazed at how clean it looked after a running for a while. Being “cheap” and splash-lubed, I was expecting some sparklies or something showing some break-in. Drained IF into white container and it looked pretty good.

That’s not to say that the RT5 I’m using now wouldn’t have produced the same results. Who knows.

Originally Posted By: WANG
I'd run the dog out of it under load for a couple hours and change the oil. Easy day.
I was leaning this way from the beginning thanks all for responding

That's what I do as well. I change it often enough (every 50 hours) and always keep it topped up. Hard to beat 15W40, its good stuff.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

That's what I do as well. I change it often enough (every 50 hours) and always keep it topped up. Hard to beat 15W40, its good stuff.
problem may be it may have to start and run in 0F weather so betting I’ll be using 0w40 in the fall same as the snowblower uses.

Makes me cringe to think of not changing any type of oil on a small engine after the first hour. Always full of glitter. If you can't see the glitter it's still there, just too small of particles.

One of the most important things is varying the load. Don't just set a constant load and walk away for an hour.

Filled generator with provide oil sent along from mfg filled with VPracing SEF 2 pulls wow right to eco mode really quiet. 1400 watt heat gun on and off for 30min loaded it hard never tripped. Drained oil glitter everywhere fill with Amsoil Small engine oil will give few hrs and drain only 12oz sump.
Really happy with this unit and would purchase again I believe built fairly well and half the cost of a Honda time will tell.

"and half the cost of a Honda time will tell."

That would be correct. Time will tell.

I initially bought a brand new Chinese built Hyundai 2000is Inverter at less than half the cost of an equivalent Honda or Yamaha and was thoroughly impressed with everything about it except it's weight.

All was great for the first few hours of use. It was quiet, fuel efficient and provided good clean power. When it blew the inverter at around 85 hours, I was less impressed. Replaced the inverter with a new one under warranty then the magnets in the generator disintegrated at 175 hours, pretty much destroying the machine.
Needless to say I was considerably less impressed.

I ended up buying a Yamaha EF2000is inverter and it's going on 1500 hours so far. Initially it had issues with oil consumption that I closely monitored, measured and recorded. I kept a daily log of hours used, fuel & oil consumed. It took 900 hours of run time to finally reduce oil consumption to acceptable levels.

Initially, I'd need to add apprx. 2 oz. (60 ml) of oil every 25 to 30 hours of use. Now I can get a full 100 hour run with around the same amount of oil consumption if not less. More than happy with it now. It's quieter, lighter and more fuel efficient than the Hyundai machine and obviously much more durable.

It would be encouraging to hear of Chinese built brands that have the same quality and reliability of the Honda & Yamaha inverters.

Absolutely agree with ^^^ above statements if my life depended on it it would be Honda I took a chance with many many positive reviews and head to head performance against the best. Time will tell and only that will prove it out but I’m super impressed out of the box.

Update on generator pulled from few month winter storage 2 pulls off and running ran loaded with 1400 watt heat gun. Ran in fall 12hr stint not a hiccup for a power outage. This unit is for camping use mainly and for disaster if ever occurs.
Just updating now with many people looking in spring for a economical unit for camping or light use I highly recommend this unit so far very quiet sips very little fuel and easy to maintain.

Originally Posted by boraticus
"and half the cost of a Honda time will tell."

That would be correct. Time will tell.

I initially bought a brand new Chinese built Hyundai 2000is Inverter at less than half the cost of an equivalent Honda or Yamaha and was thoroughly impressed with everything about it except it's weight.

All was great for the first few hours of use. It was quiet, fuel efficient and provided good clean power. When it blew the inverter at around 85 hours, I was less impressed. Replaced the inverter with a new one under warranty then the magnets in the generator disintegrated at 175 hours, pretty much destroying the machine.
Needless to say I was considerably less impressed.

I ended up buying a Yamaha EF2000is inverter and it's going on 1500 hours so far. Initially it had issues with oil consumption that I closely monitored, measured and recorded. I kept a daily log of hours used, fuel & oil consumed. It took 900 hours of run time to finally reduce oil consumption to acceptable levels.

Initially, I'd need to add apprx. 2 oz. (60 ml) of oil every 25 to 30 hours of use. Now I can get a full 100 hour run with around the same amount of oil consumption if not less. More than happy with it now. It's quieter, lighter and more fuel efficient than the Hyundai machine and obviously much more durable.

It would be encouraging to hear of Chinese built brands that have the same quality and reliability of the Honda & Yamaha inverters.

Very happy with my Champion 2000, at least 5 years trouble free.

fake synthetics as most are group highly refined crude oils are fine, hence mobil I touting factory fill on higher performance cars. redline a real synthetic notes a break-in period before using their real group V ester blend!!

I'll chime in on this Westinghouse unit -- I bought one but I let my best friend be the Guinea Pig - he has had his over a year and he's a farmer, this thing is used and abused and still runs great. Dusty conditions on the back of a tractor wagon, in the fields, etc. BTW, he uses Rotella T6 5W-40 with no issues so that is what I'm using too.

Back